Maternal & Child Community
Bleeding and Cramping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Bleeding and Cramping

Ok so here is my story.  I woke up yesterday morning and went to the bathroom to find blood on the TP.  I put a pad on and waited to see if it got any worse.  About noon time the bleeding did a little heavier where I was needing to change my pad.  I called the Dr and they said it was normal because I was 5wks6days to have some spotting.  She said if it gets worse to go to the ER and try not to be doing cartwheels.  I layed around all day and it seemed that the bleeding was getting worse every couple of hours.  My boyfriend and I decided just to go in and check since my HCG levels were not going up as much as the doctors would have liked to see them go up.  The first thing they did was blood testing and then took me in to do an intervaginal U/S.  This would be the first one for me and we got to see the yolk sac and the baby's heartbeat.  So now we could not understand the bleeding.  The doctor came in and told me my HCG level was not going up to the numbers they wanted to see them at.  On Wednesday my HCG was 2357 and 3 days later it was 2578.  I still had hope seeing how it was still rising.  When the specialist came in to go over the ultrasound with me he asked what I knew, and I replied I know im pregnant, and i know im bleeding and having mild cramps and dont know why.  The doctor told me that is because you are having a miscarriage. I was PUZZLED.  I looked at him and and said no im not, my baby has a heartbeat.  He showed me some documentation that read "embryo had no cardiac movement"  I told him that I SAW the heartbeating during the ultrasound and that I demanded another one.  The doctor went and talked to the ultrasound tech and asked what she saw and she confirmed that there was a heartbeat.  The doctor came back in and said ok so you do have a heartbeat on your baby.  I wanted to beat someone because they were talking to me about doing a D&C and everything! He basically said that if I do have this baby that it would be one for the books because he believes that I will miscarry.  I am keeping my hopes up and praying that this is ok.  I went home that night and the bleeding had not stopped.  I am passing blood clots as well and having period like cramping.  Has anyone ever had this and still had a normal pregnancy??? I need some reassurance here :-(  Thanks for reading and responding, your thoughts and hopes are greatly appreciated.
I do know a few people that had pretty heavy bleeding during pregnancy and their babies were just fine, so it can happen. I would try not to worry just yet and you should give your normal OB a call to get in for an appointment. Just take it easy.
I will keep you and your baby in my prayers.
i had the same symtoms (symptoms) i was 9weeks preg and the baby died at 5weeks and i had bad pains and stomach cramps i really wish u all the best...and hope ur not going thro what i went through..
mmm, i have exactly the same bleeding and cramps. initially red blood with  few clots, lasted a day, then i had brown coloured blood when i wipe. i am not bleeding now.  its really like my miscarriage in november but the bleeding went on and on then. my breasts are hot and painful, i am throwing up every day and gone off coffee! am i pregnant again do you think? or was rhis my period? i took a test 3 weeks ago! early i know! it was neg of course. i havnt done another as i dont wanna be disapointed again.

and that doctor sounds like a pillock!  dont go back to him again!
I am going through the same thing now..I am 7 weeks 7 days.  2 nights ago I experienced some spotting...dark brown then bright red..Went to my dr the next day and had my first transvaginal U/S which showed baby AND a heartbeat.  I even recorded it with my iPhone! :p 1 or 2 hours after I got home I was having more bleeding this time with clots...This time I went to the ER where I told I was either miscarrying or just bleeding and it will be a waiting game.  So now I am on bedrest for the next couple of days but now I am having severe cramps along with the bleeding and clots....I have no idea what is going on and am scared I may lose baby...I don't soak more than one pad per hour...actually one pad lasts me a whole night so I am really confused... I plan on returning to my OB early this week maybe to get a cervical exam.
I had a ectopic pregnancy in February, we
Got pregnant again and I am almost 6 weeks along
Had ultrasound a few days ago and they saw
The sac and yolk, I started to have alittle bit
Of blood on t.p. when I would urinate on and off,
Dark blood, then the other day I noticed some
Bright red blood, and it got heavier, started cramping
Like a period, now having trouble sleeping,
I go in for another ultra sound in a week
Called the on call dr. And he told me to call
Office on Monday and move my ultra sound up:(
I am so nervous I may be miscarrying, has
Anyone had these symptoms and delivered
A healthy baby?
I have known a few people who bleed throughout their whole pregnancy on and off and the baby's were just fine, so there is hope. Also, if there is a heartbeat, I would not give up hope. I would definitely go see a different doctor and get a second opinion and don't make any hasty decisions. Best of luck to you. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
Thank You Victoria01 for the prayers.
Unfortunantly I had to go to the er yesterday,
I started cramping so bad!  I guess heavy
cramping can be a good sign of miscarriage
they checked my pregnancy levels and I had
Went down to 800 and progesterone 6.5
So that was a sure sign.  Going to my doc on
Monday for a ultra sound, did not want it
Done at hospital as they to it differently.
Well hopefully 3xs will be our charm, it does
Seem my progesterone level is always low
And the supplement did not help enough:(
Prayers for everyone:)!
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I know from my own m/c last year it is tough to deal with. Try to stay positive (I know, easier said than done sometimes) and I hope 3X will be your precious bundle.
i started passing a brown discharge 3 nights ago and went to hospital. the done an u/s and found the babys heartbeat (7 weeks gone). discharge got slightly heavier the next night so went back and got another u/s and no heartbeat.  still bleeding but it not red still brown with clots. and as it was two different doctors i saw i dont no what is going on because one says im fine and the other says im miscarrying.  have to go back next week for another scan and they planning a d&c.  really confused!!!!
i am also having bleeding with cramps; however i saw my baby with a heart beat on the ultra sound. Im 6 weeks pregnant. This is going to devestate my life if i lose this baby... im dying with this baby..:(
I had a miscarriage a couple weeks ago. I was 8 weeks pregnant. Everything was going fine, no spotting, no craping at all. All of the sudden on July 8, I started bleeding really heavy, passing big and small clots. I called my doctor the next morning, she told me to go get blood tests taken (to measure my hCG hormone level) on the 9th and 12th. My level did drop from Friday to Monday, indicating I did indeed have a miscarriage. I have to go back for repeat labs until my hCG level goes back to 0. When I went this week I was told that the level was 800 last week and only 93 this week, but I still have to go back one more time, the 26th. My follow-up doctor appointment is August 3rd. I let everything pass "naturally" and bled for 10 days straight, then a little one day, none the next, and a little then next. This was my first pregnancy (unexpected), but I was still very excited about it, and my husband and I were going to start telling people this past weekend. My biggest fear about being pregnant was that I would have a miscarriage, and I have. Its physically and emotionally draining and I wish that no one would ever have to go through this. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who has ever gone through this.
I also am still bleeding/ spotting but with bright red blood. How long am I going to bleed? this is longer than my normal period now..
I am currently 6 weeks pregnant and I have started getting cramping and spotting which is getting heavier. It's not quite has heavy as a period but I am worried I am losing my baby. The doctor has said nothing can be done and to just re do a pregnancy test in a week to 2 weeks. Has anyone else had these symptoms and gone on to have a successful pregnancy and health baby?
I had my last period on 13th July but have very long cycles so think I am probably only 4/5 weeks at the moment. I have had a long history of miscarriages (10 in total) and also have a healthy 5 year old daughter. Due to this I attended the early pregnancy assesment unit when I first got a posotive pg test. They took my blood to check hcg levels and I was scheduled to go back 48 hrs later for blood. They also put me on hcg hormone injections as I have hormone imbalance.

The night before i was due to to get my bloods done again, me and my partner had sex, the following morning I had brownish blood when i wiped. I went for my bloods and told the doctor about my bleeding. She said that my first blood was really low, just 17!! and that I was probably miscarrying. I started bleeding more heavy that day and concluded I was miscarrying.

However, I got a phone call from them this morning to say my blood results had come back and that they had risen to 117! which has more than tripled. I questioned the bleeding and they didnt seem worried. I am scheduled for a scan on Friday but I am so confused. Does a rise in hcg levels mean you wont miscarry?
just wondering if u can help me, i am 5 weeks preg after intercource with my boyfriend i started bleeding alot within few sec of doing it, i now been bleeding for few days some times its a little, but now its quite alot, i feel like i having period pain pains.   and my lower bak aches aswell,, ive book for hopital for few days, to a n c  , just want to know wa it could be , i just pray its not a sign of a misscarge..
sometimes are intercourse the cervix can bleed as it doesnt like being moved so although it isnt a sure sign of miscarriage it also could be, reading through stories on here lots of women have lots of different stories as none of our bodies are the same!
I would defo go to the doctor, I am currently going through a miscarriage u might of seen another post of mine and was told at 4-5 weeks everything was perfect then 36hrs later my hcg had dropped and it was a failed pregnancy so i would defo advise a trip to your local A&E dept or EPU (early preg unit) for a scan and your hcg to be monitored i hope all goes well x
I recently found out that I was pregnant last wekk about five days ago. It is my first pregnancy, I am 19 and married to a marine who will be getting deployed and this babby has just brightened up our live so much. I have no inurance yet because our marriage process hasnt finished fully going through the deers office so i havent gone to the drs yet. Just last night i started having some brownish redish dischsrge, a bit creamy, then it turned into a runny sticky bright red color, nd now this morning its full on blood. I am scared that for my first pregnancy I am having a miscarriage. ike I said I have no insurance so i havnet gone to the hospital or anything but reading these posts are keeping me hopeful that I may still have my baby. BTW this bleeding is accompanied with moderate cramps, any other out there relate and can comfort?? :(
hi wondering can any1 help,me and my partner were trying for a baby we already have a healthy 2 year old and i misscarried before him but never bled but now ive took a test at home and you get 2 lines and it tells u that if one line is lighter than the other it doesnt matter its still a positive i have tested 3 times now and then i took a digital test and it said not pregnant but wen i took test strip out it had 2 lines on it again one fainter than the other,then i started brown discharge and ive been heavy bleeding for past 3 days on and off with some clots and have cramp and just feel totally drained.whats going on? doc says suspected miscarraige (miscarriage) just waiting on blood results now,any chance i could still be pregnant?
Hey all you ladies out there, I first want to say I'm praying for all you ladies who are going through this beacause I know that it is very difficult. I myself found out that I was pregnate at five weeks and three days, and about three days later I started bleeding. I have had a misscarage before at thriteen weeks so I didn't hesitate to go straight to the ER. When the dr came in he took my blood and did an ultra sound. He said that it was too early to hear a heart beat but the baby was in my uterus and the blood work came back fine. I went home and waited. The bleeding did get worse and I did pass one clot, and a day later the bleeding stopped. I went to my doctor while I was still bleeding and they did blood work. when I went back the doctor informed me that my hcg levels had dropped some but not low enough to indicate miscarrage (miscarriage). She then took another blood sample and informed me to wait for the results. So you can imagine that I am a nervous wreak. Has any one had these types of complications and went on to have a healthy baby? I'm praying my babie is ok!
Hi everyone.

I am supposed to be 10 weeks pregnant tomorrow and last night I had extremely heavy bleeding that lead to my regular period cramping and back pain. I went to the ER and noticed I started spotting a little bit and had a couple pieces of tissue come out as well and I was only bleeding when I went to the bathroom and it was bright bright red. The doctors didn't do much but say that I was most likely having a miscarriage. They were going to do a vaginal exam to see if my cervix dilated but decided that they would send me for a blood test in 48 hours (tomorrow) to check my HCG levels. Right after I left the hospital the bleeding completely stopped and I have been waiting all day for it to come again but it hasn't. I've noticed tonight that when I wipe after using the bathroom there is a very light and pale pink tinge.

I have been reading non stop about whether this is for sure a miscarriage because I just can't seem to believe this could happen. This baby was truly a miracle for my fiancée and I. Has anyone had this happen and still carried full term or am I going to have to face the harsh reality of losing a child. This will be my second miscarriage.
that's happening to me right now, i feel your pain, and playing this waiting game is killing me!!! i hope everything goes well for you.
Well after waiting 10 days, I finally got in for an ultra sound and it showed a healthy baby kicking and waving away. But since then, I have started to kind of spot again when I go to the bathroom. Sometimes its really light and sometimes it's a bit heavier. I have my first prenatal appointment on Thursday so hopefully everything is still going good.

Good luck to you as well. We honestly thought we lost the baby but were sooo happy to find out we didn't so little miracles happen all the time. Never give up.
I had 2 faint pregnancy test 13 days ago so I thought I was pregnant and should be 6 weeks. But today when I went pee it had red blood on it. Am I pregnant?
im 7 weeks pregnant be my first baby i started to bleed followed by cramps iv a scan tomorrow im still bleeding but with no cramps just pressure can anyone tell me wats goin on
Well im goin thru da same thing now I have seen blood when I go to the bathroom & when I wipe then I see clots and today its the same I wipe and see blood but I kno what a miscarriage feels like had one last year but I dont kno what to think,do I cramp yes haven't been to doctor don't have insurance.
Im going thru da same thing cramping bleeding & clots when I wipe I kno how a miscarriage feels had one last year but now I have been bleeding since I found out I was pregnant with clots but niqht I don't kno what to think need answers fast don't insurance so haven't been to doctor.
This is  really crazy that  so many of us are going thru the same thing. I went to the e.r. 2 nights ago got the ultrasound heard the baby heartbeat they said i was at risk for miscarriage im cramping and bleeding also they told me to go to my doc in 2 days for follow-up so i will be going 2day to find out whats going on. I will keep u guys posted.
I don't know yet if I am going to lose my baby. I am 9 and a half weeks pregnant. This is my first pregnancy at age 29 and I'm afraid. I am cramping a lot and bleeding when I use the restroom. I'm not going through many pads but the blood is sometimes bright red with clots and heavier then just spotting. The emergency room ran tests and told me to wait a few days and then get re-tested to see if my hormone levels are decreasing. I hate waiting and the cramps are pretty bad, worse then any I can remember ever having. Everything I have read points to a miscarrige. I don't understand why this is happening, did I do something wrong? I thought this pregnancy was going well and then this all started. I'm still praying that it's a false alarm and everything will be ok. I guess I will know this week one way or the other.