Maternal & Child Community
Bleeding and Passing Tissue during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Last Wednesday I began what seemed to be my period, but it was weird. Dark grayish/brown blood that turned to bright red a few days later, and no cramping. Then on Sunday, the bleeding became heavier (though still lighter than a period) and there was about 45 minutes where I was *really* sick - nauseous, horrible cramps and back pain. When I checked, I had passed a clump of tissue - about 3 inches long by 1.5 inches wide, flesh/gray in color. The pain stopped almost immediately and since then I have only had light, intermittent bleeding. There has been no more tissue, no more deep red blood, and the amount I've bled has never been enough to even fill a pad.

I really didn't think I could be pregnant - I'm on the Nuva Ring (although was off in April, but careful). Yesterday I saw the doctor, and they did a blood test. On my way home, I picked up a pregnancy test for the heck of it and took it - and was shocked to find it positive. So I did another one - same result.

My question is whether there's any chance I might still have the baby, or does this really sound like a miscarriage? The doctor's office (not an OB/Gyn, just regular doctor) made an appointment for me for Friday, but if there's anything I could/should be doing right now, I'd like to try to save the little guy.

A few additional thoughts: when I've read about miscarriages it seemed like there was a lot of blood and tissue - and I've only once had tissue. I haven't had any other cramps beyond those 45 minutes, and the bleeding has been light. Thoughts?
Unfortunately there is nothing you can do if your going to miscarry.
the posititive you got could be from hormones in your system
Bleeding and passing tissue is NOT good  I cant tell you if you did miscarry that is a doctors job.
Friday he should be able to do a u/s and see what is happening
Hope it turns up good
Oh, yeah - and today when I took the same pregnancy test it came up negative. :'(
What I passed was definitely tissue - the doctor said that himself. The test read properly, and the lines appeared - they took a while to be positive, and were very faint, but began to appear within the time limit. (I used EPT.)

I read somewhere online that sometimes EPT is a bit more sensitive than a blood test? I took the EPT again today and it came back negative. The doctor, however, said that there were no signs of pregnancy at all in the blood test.

I guess I'm just not sure how to interpret all of this. :-)
Well blood work is what they usually go by
I would say you were not pregnant(im no doctor by any means)
but I would think the hcg level would stay longer in your blood than in a urine test.
Maybe what you were passing was clots,
Maybe you didnt test properly at home a line does show just to tell you the test is working properly. another line usually indicates pregnancy
Another question - I just got word from the doctor's office that the pregnancy test was negative - even though my EPTs yesterday were positive.

If they say that, does "negative" mean I was never pregnant, or that I miscarried? Can they determine a miscarriage from one blood test?

SOOO hoping that this is good news = never was pregnant!!!
The same thing happened to me. Although I am pregnant. I'm 11 weeks now. On Saturday I sneezed and felt something so went to the bathroom and found I was bleeding and there was some dark red clots/globs of blood. I went straight to the ER from work and while there waiting to see the doctor I began having dull cramps. I eventually needed to go to the rest room and felt something come out. I freaked out and reached for it in the toilet. (I know this sounds gross - sorry) It was very bright red about size of a coaster for a glass and rather flat. Almost like a squished tomato.  I didn't know what to do and was very scared. I should have taken it into the room and waited for the doctor but I felt weird about the fact that I reached into the toilet so I flushed it... (feel really stupid for that now because the Doctor asked if I had it once I told him about it and I wouldn't have all these questions if I had brought it to him)
He then preformed an exam and found that the bleeding seemed to have stopped but my cervix looked slightly open and stated "maybe everything has passed and your all done" ... then I waited crying for almost 3 hours waiting on an Ultra Sound. When I got the Ultra Sound the baby was fine. Heartbeat, moving around, placenta looked good. Everything was fine. All my blood work came back fine too.
I'm relieved to know the baby is ok and I'm following up with my OB/GYN  today, but the question still remains and worries me so much.... what was that large 'thing' that I passed? and why? It wasn't grey as most people and doctors describe tissue. It was very bright red and thick but rubbery.
It's my own stupidity for not taking it back into the doctor to be studied, but I'm hoping someone here might have an answer.
that was probably a blood clot.

i passed several of them at 10 weeks. my doctor found i had placenta previa and that was causing me to pass clots. mine were anywhere from the size of a dime to the size of a tennis ball. they were deep reddish marroon in color and i could feel them passing (sorry tmi) they had the texture of thick mucus.
Thank you so much Chellybeans. I can't tell you how relieved I feel about it now. It was exactly the same as you described. The doctor I saw today told me it must have just been blood clots too since they were not gray. Thank you again for taking the time to reply!
i know the feeling i had went to the doctor and took a test to see if i was pregnant i was 11 and a half weeks that same day i started spotting and passed  2 blood clots one the size of a dime and one the size of a quarter i was so scared i went to the e.r. i was okay and the baby to i am now 14 weeks
all this sounds so weird to me because I was kinda questioning if I was pregnant or not I got off birth control and haven't had a period since march 1 then i was starting to gain weight in my stomach getting bigger now in July and was wondering because i always just gain weight more in my legs not my stomach usually it's flat but here recently  for the past 4 weeks it been getting big and it's hard but I had started the pack back like 4 weeks ago and was hoping it would straighten out my period anf to my surprise I had one just the other day but it only lasted for 2-3 days and my stomach is still hard and getting bigger I've been getting headaches like everyday and urinating and eatting more like some of the side effects are everythings crazy and I've done took two pregnancy test before I even started this period and they both came out neg i know this can't just be gaining weight because would I be hard and rounded out like I am I don't believe I can be 4-5 months either because I'll show more but there is a possibility I'm a month idk but is there anyway that you can have your period like that only because i got back on birth control and I could be pregnant i wish i could but a picture on here but i don't know someone let me know something
just because the blood test that they did days later  was neg doesn't mean you were not pregnant  if you weren't very far along then you could  get a neg result in as little has 12 hours  and no sign of pregnancy        seeing the you got 2 positives and then after you bled for a little bit got a neg. sound to me like you were in deed pregnant and you lost it  that being the case the tissue  that was about 3 inches long and 1.2 wide  might of been a fetus  (they don't really look like a baby that early   hope this is helpful and not upsetting
it sounds to be that you did miscarry, but hormones were still in your system, which is why u got posistive results, but by the time the doc did bloodtest ur hormones were gone, explaining negative result. a fren of mine went for blood test one saturday and they came back negative, went for second opinion on monday only to find that she had miscarried. always double check is my advice. good luck to you.
I would say that you did miscarry. The exact same thing happened to me (even though I knew I was pegnant). I was around 6-7w. I began to get faint cramps, but not much bleeding. Then they intensified to the worst pain I have ever felt in my life for about an hour or a little more until I passed one lump of tissue about the size of a deck of cards and then immediately after the cramps subsided and the bleeding went back down to just spotting for about 8 or 9 days. It was a complete m/c, so I didn't pass any more tissue. My hormone levels dropped drastically afterward. My levels had been in the 700's 2 days before and right after my m/c they went down to 290 and just 4 days later they had dropped down to 36. Everybody is different, but I would say that you were definitely pregnant and miscarried. I am glad that you are going to the doctor though because you need to be checked out and monitored so you don't get any infections.
I had my period like I should and then at about 3:30 am I was up with my son, he was having a nightmare.   I started hurting and feeling a rush of something comming out so I put him back in his crib and went to the bathroom.  A huge (2in X 3in) peice of tissue came out.  There was NO WAY I was pregnant.  I did have sex for the 1st time in months that day and right after is when my period started.  I had pain in the uteris for 2 days mild uncomfort.  Is this normal
greyish tissue is more indicative of a m/c.  but the drs know more than i do.  once i passed tissue the size of a golfball or larger.  the dr explained that i had shed my whole lining at once, and no bleeding after.  i dont understand how there can be positive tests , but like i said im not a dr.  it would probably be best for you to just go ahead and believe it was nothing.  however saying that, maybe the nuva isnt the best in birthcontrol.  just to play it safe maybe check into something better, just in case.
I can not tell you how relieved i am to read your words... This morning I passes a blood clot that was the size of a small orange... it was red and not grey in color so...I had lab work done but the results results will not be in until tomorrow... which seems like an eternity... all i have been thinking is i lost one or both of the babies... i am relieved to find there is a chance I may still be carrying them thank you so much for this glimmer of hope.

I really think you were pregnant. I read somewhere that you almost NEVER get a positive result unless you are Pregnant. A false Negitive happens all the time though. I would go back to the doctor and be checked in a  few weeks. Who's to say you still aren't pregnant just a few weeks and the blood tests arent showing it. I was 2 weeks pregnant with my son and was getting surgery on my cervix ( of course I didn't know I was pregnant) so they did a blood test the day before surgery and it came back Negitive. So I got the surgery and a week later took a test a home and POSITIVE. Now my baby boy is 8 months old. Crazy things happen somtimes. I wouldn't take anymore birth control until you know for sure. And if you aren't pregnant I would make sure that Nuva ring isn't cause blood clots. Best of luck please keep us posted
I took an at home pregnancy test on Sept 7th nad it came out positive. I went to my doctor on Sept 10th nad got a blood test and I found out that I am 4 weeks pregnant. I have been bleeding and passing a few dime size blood clots. They were red though, not gray. This is my first pregnancy and I was told by my doctors that my hCG level is at35 and that is low for 4 weeks. I am scared that I have lost my baby and I just need to know what may be going on!
i am 10 wks. and sometimes after i urinate i have this clear/whitish material floating in the bottom of the toilet. i don't know if it's discharge or tissue and it freaks me out. i've talked to some of my friends that have had children and they say "oh yea, i had that" but they don't know what it is. does this sound normal or does anyone know what it is?
I think I'm about 8 weeks pregnant.  Took home test on 9/13 and it was positive.  My dr appt is 9/21.  I had a miscarriage in Dec 06.  I'm worried that there is something wrong with this pregnancy.  I can not find the "hard" feeling in my belly, I'm not bleeding but when I go to the bathroom, I've passed white/pinkish material with red dots.  I've read that when you miscarry, you have alot of bleeding.  Any idea what this could be/mean?  Thanks!
Okay. I am 19 yrs old. So, I am new at all this. I am on birthcontrol and on Sept. 11 my boyfriend forgot to pull out; mind you this is about the time of my ovulation. I went to the doctors yesturday because I had started my period 2 weeks EARLY. Kind of worried me a bit. Well, she did an internal ultra sound and said everything looked good. Today I got a blood test done and am waiting. My boyfriend is flipping out and isn't every good at hiding it. My mom doesn't believe me about all this. What do you think?
hbravo
9/26
I am 5 weeks pregnant.  Initially my doctor believed my progesterone level was low, but since then I have had a blood test and my numbers are exactly where they need to be.  The day I heard  the news I passed some dark red blood-about the size of a quarter-no clots.  I was put on bed rest for a few days and everything was fine until tonight.  I went to the rest room and I had a small amount of mucousy (sp) dark red blood with a greyish tint to it.  Am I miscarrying?  I have been going through 2 weeks of very slight light pink intermittent bleeding and I am going insane.  As soon as I become more optimistic about the pregnancy, something like this happens.  Any answers?
can the pill cause these tissue clots.
someone told me tat
ok so me and my doctor thought i was 10 weeks pregnant but about 4 days ago i had some brown dry blood and light cramps. next day i started bleeding and this time it was bright and with bad cramping and pressure on my vigianal and retal area. my gosh it felt like contractions cause they came and went. well my ob doctor had me go in for and ultrasound and  turned out from my ultrasound that im only about 6 weeks pregnant. well baby looked fine and had a heartbeat and they said they were going to look at my ultrasound and give me back test results to tell me why im bleeding. well today i started passing blood clots from all different sizes. my last big clot had a dime size white ball in the middle of the clot. doctors say its baby tissue. but now that that has passed out of me im not bleeding as much and i feel fine now and no pain bleeding is slowing down. my question is "was this a miscarriage?" or "was this somewhat normal?"  "will i be fine?" has an woman had this happen and had their pregnancy continue and had no other problems?  i need answers doctors dont say much if they dont have results and they dont want to jump to conclusions. so i need people with experience to know. thanks

im a mother of 2 children...
I'm 5 weeks pregnant. I woke up this morning and passed a small blood clot and it frightened me. This is my first pregnancy. I did some research online and it seemed to be anywhere from normal in some women, to a good chance of miscarriage. So nervous about losing the baby, I rushed to the ER. The doctor ran blood tests on me, checked the level of my hormones and did a pelvic exam. Everything came back okay and they couldn't find anymore clotting. I have light spotting only when I pee and no cramps whatsoever. The doctor asked I come back in two days to recheck my hormone levels and if it's still increasing everyday like it should be, the baby should be fine.

And I have to wait with the weight of that sitting on my mind.. It's scary.
I just want to know my baby's okay like any mother would. Any advice?
I recently got a positive on 3 home pregnancy tests after my period being 9 days late, this was friday and saturday morning i took the tests, well on sunday afternoon i coughed and felt something gush in my undies..(( Sorry about being so explicit )) and there was a large quantitiy of blood and i am very crampy and it is now monday morning,and im still bleeding, no large blood clots or anything like that just sseems like normal cycle.. i have a doc apt tomorrow to confirm or deny the pregnancy, but i am scared and nervous now, if there anyone who can shed some light on this for me....im actually kinda looking forward to being a mom again,and hoping this doesnt mean its not going to happen
I just found out I was pregnant. My last period was the 31st jan which means that my next cycle was due to start on the 28th feb. Saturday 5th march i took the clearblue digital test and its came back positive and said i was 2-3weeks along which meant if the doc were to pick it up i would be 4-5weeks. Early hours of Monday morning i started bleeding very lightly then as the day progressed it became a medium flow. I didnt pass clots as such, it was more like a bit of bloody mucus. Went to the doc and his came back negative, but yet the clearblue was still positive. Tuesday morning i passed what look like a clump of tissue that was a grey/reddish tinge but no cramping. Went to the doc to give my first urine sample and it came back a very faint positive. I am not bleeding as much anymore. Could the pregnancy still be fine?
I am about 7 weeks pregnant will be 8 in just a few days. I spotted once very little last week .. it went away no more after that until today when I went to the washroom a little grey very little red came out almost like tissue. I'm very new to all of this and am worried I need advice! Help :|
I had the exact same thing is happening to me, from the size of a dime and today like the size of a tennis ball. I have an ultra sound at 12 today. Immediately I thought I was miscarrying but after reading what you have posted you have given me a little hope. Wish me luck. Ohh and does having placenta previa hurt your baby or cause any problems?
I suppose to be 7 week pregnant. Last night at 9pm, I'm start bleeding but very light and it last the whole night. This morning at 9, I start having a very mild cramp and went to the bathroom and passout two tissues but not as big. After the tissues came out the mild cramp stop and the bleeding went back to very light. Does it mean i had a miscarriage or not. I so worried.
I suppose to be 7 week pregnant. Last night at 9pm, I'm start bleeding but very light and it last the whole night. This morning at 9, I start having a very mild cramp and went to the bathroom and passout two tissues but not as big. After the tissues came out the mild cramp stop and the bleeding went back to very light. Does it mean i had a miscarriage or not. I so worried. .
thanks you so much i am having the same thing you helped me so much i was here worying thank you so much im in the bahamas and the government hospitals dnt really no much and my doctor's away thank you so much i was terrified that i would loose my baby because i was bleeding but my test were possitive and the ultra sounds were possitive aswel n we cldnt figure out why thank you so much youve help me and my begining family a whole lot thank you
how long did you bleed because i started on saturday night and its monday and im still bleeding the dr. says the baby's fine and in two weeks take a pregnancy test again but everything seems fine he says n to come back if i start bleeding alot
3 weeks pregnant and i passed a qaurter sized clot that was kinda hard and almost black with red blood.. Im going to the hospital tonight to find out if im still pregnant but do you kno if theres even that possibility ?
I started my period 3 days early ,my periof is light too. i have cramps but the are more bother some than pain full. I went to the bathroom and i wiped there was a very tiny blood and tissue the size of a dime. I am scared i might be going through another misscariage . Has anyone experenced this ?