Maternal & Child Community
Bleeding at 19 Weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Bleeding at 19 Weeks

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about bleeding at 19 weeks pregnant.  Yesterday I took Step Aeorbics class which my doctor has advised is okay since I've taken it long before becoming pregnant.  I've been taking throughout this pregnancy without any problems.  Well, last night I went to the bathroom to pee and saw a spot of blood.  I thought it was just a little spotting, but I came out of the bathroom to show my husband the spotting and get clean underwear and a panty liner, but I started bleeding a ton...not just spotting, it got on the carpet and I ran back into the bathroom pulling up my pants so I wouldn't ruin the floor, my pants and underwear were covered.  I called the doctors, this was at 9:00PM last night, I had to go into the emergency room and up to labor and delivery.  The bleeding slowed down to spotting and they checked me out saying my cervix was closed and that there didn't look like there was much more blood in there so that it was a "fluke".  We did an ultrasound, baby boy looked good and fluid level was good.  After saying I was probably fine, they sent me home.  Today I've been having bleeding like a period until about 10 minutes ago I went to the bathroom and then put on a panty liner instead of a big pad since it seemed to have slowed down.  When I came out of the bathroom and sat down, I felt a warm gush and more blood came out.
Is this normal?  Has anyone heard of this? The doctors don't seem to know anything, my actual OB is out unitl Monday, I have a follow up appointment with her on Tuesday morning, but I am still scared.
Oh my god, that must be so scary for you.  At least you found out your baby boy is doing okay.  I wish i could tell you what it is but I have no idea.
That is horrible to go through esp without your own doctor.  I am 14 weeks and bleed and they always do what they did to you and then the bleeding stops.  but I never have a gush!  I would say if you have clots to just go back to the ER.  Very scarey.  I would def recommend staying in bed as much as you can..  Do not move around at all until you can see your own OB.

Praying for you, I am sure you will be fine but this sure is scary.
Who is covering for your OB, I think you should be seen.

I have a friend who had a small tear in her placenta and she bled continuously until she delivered her healthy baby boy.

So, don't assume things are going bad, but definitely get an OB to investigate further.

Prayer to you and your lad.  Let us know what happens.
I saw my OB's partner that was on call last night.  They checked my cervix, did and ultrasound, a urine test and a specimine test.  Everything looked good.  They did mention sometimes the placenta tearing, but I wish there was a way to know, you know?  I hate not knowing what is happening.  They just told me if I did go into labor there's nothing they can do for about a month still and that I should take it easy and follow up with my doc. next week.  They said if the bleeding gets bad again I'll have to come in and stay longer probably.  

Thanks for all of your kind replies, I really appreciate it.

Not to scare you, but this would not be considered 'normal'.  If this is NOT accompanied by cramps, my bet is that everything is ok.  If you have that much blood WITHOUT any cramping, this may be a problem with the placenta.  Possibly placenta previa?  Did the u/s confirm correct placement of the placenta?  I would get into your doctors office BEFORE THE WEEKEND and demand that his 'on call' dr. or whoever is filling in to check you out again via u/s.  I would certainly get this ironed out before the weekend comes and your paying the ER another visit....In the meantime, I highly suggest limiting your physical activity.

If you were in an emergency state, I firmly believe that they would have admitted you rather than sending you home from the ER.
Not to scare you, but this would not be considered 'normal'.  If this is NOT accompanied by cramps, my bet is that everything is ok.  If you have that much blood WITHOUT any cramping, this may be a problem with the placenta.  Possibly placenta previa?  Did the u/s confirm correct placement of the placenta?  I would get into your doctors office BEFORE THE WEEKEND and demand that his 'on call' dr. or whoever is filling in to check you out again via u/s.  I would certainly get this ironed out before the weekend comes and your paying the ER another visit....Personally, I would limit your physical activity until this is straightened out...

At the ER they sent me up to Labor and Delivery to have me checked by an OBGYN and they did do an ultrasound.  My regular U/S last week confirmed my placenta was in the right place and attached and everything looked perfect.  

Last night I asked them straight forward "if I bled enough to cover my pants, underwear and floor in less than 1 minute time, is that still considered spotting?"  The answer clearly was "No, that is much more than spotting."

The second question I asked was "Is there any normal reason I can bleed like this at 19 weeks pregnant?" And the answer was "No, there is no normal cause for something like that."

My cervix was not dilating, I'm in no pain, but just have random gushes of blood here and there.  While in the Labor and Delivery room being checked out, there wasn't much more blood they could see, but then this morning I had a small gush that filled a panty liner, but I'm not bleeding a pad an hour or anything like that.  There are no cramps.  Nobody knows anything, my OB won't be in until Monday, I have an appointment with her on Tuesday.  I did see an OB last night, they didn't know what else to tell me after checking me out and they sent me home.
Did they say anything about maybe the exercise caused this.  I feel for so much because I know how scary bleeding can be.  My dr. also said my jogging was ok, but now I am not so sure that it is.  Let us know that you and your baby are ok.  I am very sorry you have to go through this.
The doctors and nurses all still swear that the exercise would not cause this and that I can continue to workout through my pregnancy.  I have asked them if they are sure a million times cause my husband swears it has to be that, but they say it's not.
I had bleeding at 18 wks.  It ended up being a placental abrubtion....it was very scary.  I had to go for a stronger u/s to check my placenta to see the tearing.  I was on Bedrest for a little over a month...and now everything is fine and i'm back to work.  

I would most definately make sure that they see you again.  You need answers...at least for you own peace of mind.
I think you should call the OB on call and tell them it happened again.  I had this happen a couple times while pregnant with my son and they monitored me closely.  I wouldn't be comfortable waiting until Tuesday to be seen.   Good luck!
What is going on?  Everyones answers to several posts are duplicated, even mine....and I swear ladies, I only pushed the button once!!!  Then the people who posted answers are not listed either....what up?!!!  Anyone else confused as I am? Although, I am kinda having an 'off' day....well I've seen several of those lately....hmmmmmmmmmm
How far along are you now? I had a regular ultrasound done that just showed the baby is fine, but I have to see my doctor for follow up on Tuesday.  I asked how they know if it's a tear in my placenta cause they said that, but no one had an answer if it in fact is that or not.

How come you only had to be on bed rest for 1 month and not the rest of your pregnancy? Does the abruption close up?
Did they ever tell you what may have caused the placenta to get abrupted?

Thanks for the info!
i am a midwife a i can tell you that much blood is not normal i am not going to try and guess what it is i am just going to say go straight to the er now please your babies life could be in jeopardy please go NOW goodluck.
But doctors have always told me that no bleeding is normal and that there has to be a reason for it.  I wish you the best of luck, please keep us posted
The OBGYN sent me home last night after going to the ER where they sent me to Labor and Delivery to be checked out.  The bleeding had almost come to a complete stop while I was there, my cervix was closed and u/s showed the baby and fluid was good. They just said to go home and call if it got bad again and to setup a follow up appointment for when my OB was in the office next week.  Today I only had one episode of bleeding which covered my panty liner in one little gush, but since then I have not had anything much, just spotting like a period.  I feel like there wasn't much that the doctors could do, know or tell me at the ER last night, they just said the baby's heart sounds good and he looked like he was doing good in there so I needed to go home and contact them if anything else happens.  I told them I know this is not normal, but they said there wasn't really anything they can do in this situation.
The abruption i had was only on the edges of the placenta...it wasn't fully affected.  After a month, they did another u/s and saw that it had reattatched itself.  I didn't have a ny bleeding for a while preceeding the follow-up u/s also.  I was told that there are a number of things that can cause a placental abrubtion.  And that it could range anywhere from infection to a genetic defect.  They DID tell me, however, that it's rare that it would be caused from physical stress such as lifting...but if one is already present, then it can worsen the condition.  I've had complications since the very beginning of this pregnancy..so it could very well, be related to the earlier complications.  Mine was minor....but it's still nothing to be taken for granted.  I would say that you should demand further testing jsut to be sure.  Your baby's health and you own are nothing to take lightly.  Like another poster mentioned before...there is no normal reason for bleeding during pregnnacy and there should always be an answer as to why it's happening and where it's coming from.  That way, you can rule out some of the possibilities.  Good luck.  And Keep us informed on what's happening.  You'll be in my prayers.
Thanks for all of your help! I will definately make sure we find out what is going on and that me and the baby are okay. I have had problems with this entire pregnancy as well, something I didn't have with my others.  At 6 weeks I had bleeding and thought I was miscarrying like I had done before, but after an u/s and hcg tests we found out everything was fine and I hadn't bled since.  The bleeding was only like a period then.  So far so good for the rest of today, I've only had light spotting since lunchtime when I had the last small gush.  For now I am just taking it easy until I see my OB in a few days.
I forgot also that you had asked how far i am.  I'll be 29 wks tomorrow.  I'm glad things seem to be settling down.  But, please...if it starts again...or if you start cramping at all, then call your Dr. or go to the ER.  

I also started spotting early on in this pregnancy..i was around 5 wks.  I was sure that i was having another m/c.  I had had one just a few months prior....i was on progesterone, but didn't think i caught it in time.  But went to see the Dr....and after u/s and blood tests as well, i was assured that everything was ok and that the bleeding may have been from implatation..or even difficulty in implantation.  So i was on bedrest for a few weeks then...then i was off of bedrest by 11 wks...only to go back on at 18 wks.  But at 25 wks, i was able to go back to work.  
And everything seems to be going well....::knocking on wood::  This is our first child.  So we're really excited.  Now that all of that is over with, i have the dreaded GD test result to look forward to.  I failed the one hour...went for my 3 hour yesterday...so i'll know tomorrow how that one turned out.  That would just be the icing on the cake....(that i wouldn't be allowed to eat...lol)
I agree - if you continue bleeding today I would go back to the ER or labour room, whatever, and ask them to check you out again. You don't know if something has happened between last time you were there and now, particularly if you are still bleeding.

Like mandymoo1983 said, it is not considered normal and your baby's life could be in danger, I would not take sit around and wait until it got really bad before you went back. It's better to be safe than sorry.

If it's not placental abruption then it may possibly be a blood clot coming away, but I am puzzled as to why they couldn't figure out where the bleeding was coming from or suggest anything to you.
I bled in my 5th month while preggo for my third child, but I don't remember that much blood. I had strained while on the toilet. I would say to lay on your left side as much as possible (to maximize blood flow) and try to press these drs into figuring out what is the best thing to do. Keeping you in prayers....
Thanks everyone! I will keep you updated, I'll know more Tuesday after I see my OB unless it starts to get bad again, then I will go in right away.

facere23- Congrats to you on your first baby, you must be very excited.  This is our 5th pregnancy and we have 2 boys (13 month old and a 2 year 5 month old).  We just found out last week that this is our 3rd boy! I never had spotting in the begining of my pregnancies before and the one time I had bled while I was 8 weeks pregnant I lost that baby at 10 weeks.  I was convinced when I bled at 6 weeks that it meant miscarriage, but u/s and everything confirmed there was nothing wrong.  Hopefully that is still the case.

Have a great night!
It is very scary, but im sure u will be ok alsong as your cervix is closed this means your body is NOT miscarging the baby, which is good.. it means the baby is growing and pushing up against your uturs wall.. which casues bleeding, if you do get clots u must go to your nearest A & E.. this may mean your ceriv is opening, r u in any pain? iv been through the same thing, yesterday and today but has now stopped.. only happens when i go to the toilet and do what u do u no? try not to stress because this will only make u worse xx
What happened with this? I'm going through the exact same thing right now and I'm so scared for my baby, can anyone help?
Noelles_mummy, did everything turn out to be fine? I'm going through the exact same thing now, and would love to know how your pregnancy went.
Hello. I hope all went well. I at 12 weeks of pregnancy had a gush of blood followed by mild bleeding then it stopped. I went to the ER and found with a ultra sound it was a sub-chorionic hemorrhage. It is suppose to not be dangerous but I did some reading on that and it worried me from the stories I heard. I ended up back at the ER two days later with pains and I felt like I wanted to push something out for a couple hours before I went and the three hours I was in the ER. The doc said basically its just a matter of time before the baby passes. He gave me morphine, nothing really helped the pain not even the morphine. I am 19 weeks now and the baby is okay from all the ultra sounds and blood test. Oh but my HCG levels did drop when they checked the two times at the two ER visits and this is what made the ER doc think the baby was going to pass BUT my nurse that I go to every month said at my stage of pregnancy our hormones can drop a bit and that is normal. I am here looking to see if spotting at 5months is okay. I had some brown spotting yesterday and its almost gone today. I hope your little one is okay. Lisa J