Maternal & Child Community
Bleeding during miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Bleeding during miscarriage

Good morning all..

If i am infact miscarrying, could you please describe your experience with me??

Did your cramping last for days,
how heavy what consistancy was your bleeding,how did you feel??

my bleeding right now is red, but a tad lighter than a normal period, cramping only yesterday, not constant.  no clot any bigger then a lowercase (o).

Please be graphic. :-)
Thank you!!
Also, i was only about 4 weeks 5 days pregnant.

PS i am feeling MUCH better physically and mentally than yesterday.
I am fighting a stomach bug so i think that is where a lot of the cramping came from (and still is)  Thank you..
First I am very sorry. Its SUCKS!!! I was 5 weeks and I only had gas like pain not even really cramping. the bleeding was like a moderate period, not even really heavy. I thought it should have been heavier. After 2 weeks my levels were zero, but my hcg only got to 1100. Hope you'll be able to TTC very soon!! Are they going to do any tests on you?
Hey Girl,
I am so sorry your going through this. I was in the same boat about 4 weeks ago. I found out I was 5wks preggo, when 3 days later I started lightly bleeding, then the next day it was still light, but had mild cramping. That night, it got worse, red, dark bleeding and more intense cramps, but not too bad. The next day as I was bleeding I started to pass tissue. So, my m/c took about 3 long days. Hang in there....Be strong. Hugs to you!!!
First of all, I am soooo sorry for what you are going through.  This was my m/c experience...hope it helps you some:

Brown spotting for 2-3 days.  Absolutely no cramping whatsoever.
Ultrasound done - saw heartbeating!  No spotting 2 for 2 days.  Then, heavy flow with bright red blood and lots of clots...about the size of peanut, and long, stingy ones, too.  Another u/s done - no baby, no heartbeat, just lots of internal bleeding.  Rushed to the operating room for a d/c due to an incomplete m/c.  I never had cramping.
Sorry to hear that. I m/c March 16, I felt lite cramping for 2 or 3 dats and had some brownish d/c followed by red blood a couple days later with some worse cramping. Overall It was not as much bleeding as I expected. I am truly sorry to hear.
the reason why i am so curious is because my dr. asked me to save any large clots.. well i havent had any.. so i dont know what to look for.. I was so early in this prengnancy that i dont think there is anything to pass!!

Thanks for all your comments, i appreciate them.. :-)
Sorry to hear that you have to go through this again. I was 4w5d when I had a natural m/c in Nov. I bled for 7 days; I only had 1 day of heavy bleeding (which surprised me)and the rest were like a light af. I never passed any clots. Cramps were bad for the first 2 days and then tapered off. Although, my af's after the m/c have been worse than the m/c itself.((((hugs)))
Staci - my m/c was more like Dawn's. Saw the slightest hint of pink/red - (it kinda looked like a vein in a chicken leg) on Thursday, but i didn't worry. Saw it again on Friday, still not worried, but went to see the Dr. just in case. Vaginal u/s showed nothing but a thickend uterus - should've been 7wks. based on lmp. Didn't really start bleeding until Sunday and had INTENSE cramps all day and then they started to taper off the next day. Bleeding went on for about 8 days after the cramping started. From start to finish everything took about 12 days.
Staci, I had my last one at the same time as you and it never got any worse than a heavy period. You may not have any huge clots. I did not. It did last a little longer than normal, but that's about it. It's good to hear you're doing better!
I am so sorry about your m/c.  My m/c took about 2.5 weeks from start to finish.  I had about a week and a half of brown/red bleeding and spotting-started out brown and light, within a few days red and clotty.  It didn't get heavier than a light period for that week and a half, but then one day I had intense cramping and pressure with extremely heavy bleeding and huge clots.  That lasted one day.  About two days later I passed the fetal tissue-looked like an old tampon (sorry tmi!).  It was the size of a tampon and was white and grey.  Continued to bleed a light period for another week.  Bleeding finally stopped and I got af about 5.5 weeks after passing fetal tissue.  I m/ced at 6w 2d.  It was a natural, complete m/c.  My thoughts are with you.  Best wishes.
Hey all!! thanks.. I am doing much better... I am going to treat this as a chemical pregnancy since i only tested postive 1 week ago and started bleeding on monday.  My dr. also only saw a thick uterine lining.  I havent called for my blood work yet.  I am interested to see if i have any HCG at all.  The pg tests on wed/thurs 14/15 DPO were light lines.. and then no line on monday so i guess that is chemical.  I am crampy on and off still but the bleeding is more like a period.. not clotty at all other than small ones. (normal for af)

i did have a couple of things that resembled pink tissue that could have been the beginnings of a sac or something.. they were thin , clear and obvious tissue.  I check every time i go to potty to make sure i dont miss anything.

I had a m/c in january at 10 weeks with a D&C on 1/5
First af on 2/17
O'd 3/8
+Hpt on 3/22
mc on 3/27

With all the trauma my uterus has been through the past 3 months do you think i should take a month off or start ttc right away??

i would love to be pg, but this is all so stressful..

Thanks again ladies..

You all have been the light at the end of the tunnel for me..

i just called the dr's office.

My blood results are..

DRUMROLL PLEASE

completely negative for pregnancy..  My HCG levels were actually -2.  HAHA

WHICH MEANS

I am having a freaky period or I had a chemical pregnancy that came and went faster than the wind..

Finally, I am glad you don't have any hcg so you don't have to wait around for it to go down.  
Regarding TTC, probably need to consult with your doctor first.  Taking a rest might not be a bad idea given what you have gone through the past 3 months.  
LOL, Dolly
I agree with you that there's probably nothing to realy pass since the u/s didn't show anything and you were so early. My m/c resulted in a d&c so I can't say forsure what you should be experiencing but I do think that based on 4w5d it should resemble AF- not much heavier or lighter. Again, I'm so sorry that you're going through this and I'm glad you're doing a bit better today. Lots of baby dust your way*********************************
I am so sorry.. my m/c happenend Mar 14. Pink spotting/backache on 1st day, 2nd day bad backache/cramping/ brownish discharge in the morning but in the afternoon, bad painful cramping and passed a large tissue - long, diameter of a small banana (sorry if it is too much info).  After passing the tissue the cramping/pain stopped immediately.  The next couple of days, small clots/slight cramping/uterus tenderness/ heavy bleeding for a week.  I just finished bleeding this Friday.  I was about 5 wks 3 days preggo so since you we're even less than this I'm not sure whether you would pass any big clots. Good luck and my thoughts are with you.
I'm sorry to hear that about you. I was hoping the best for you. You should take a vacation from TTC and it might just happen for you. I had a chemical pregnancy too. It sucks but it's natural and it happens. Means there's nothing wrong with you. Hang in there Girl! Hugs to you
I think that you should go ahead and do what feels right for you. A chemical Pg isn't the same as a normal m/c in terms of what your body's gone through. For me, I couldn't move on from my m/c until I got PG again but some women need more time physically and emotionally.  I waited 1 AF to ttc again and got PG after 2 AFs. I have heard that women are most fertile in the 1st 3 months after a natural m/c. In your case though, maybe your doc can run some tests to find out if there is something causing the m/c. Have you talked to him/her about that yet?
I have to talk to the dr. about this tomorrow..
I am not having a miscarriage.. thats good.. I am having a normal period after a chemical pregnancy.. which you are right, they dont consider a chemical pregnancy a miscarriage.  They consider it a normal part of TTC.  

(read this online)

So my uterus is not traumatized as i thought and i will go on TTC as usual!! I am not worried any more..

They say that 50% of women who TTC have chemical pregnancies.  the sperm do meet the egg but for some reason it doesnt stick..  

I had pg symptoms for a week before i got BFP but they quickly went away.  

Thanks for all your support!!

I AM NORMAL!! woo hoo!!
I never explained how mine is feeling!!

The first day of bleeding (monday late night) started off very crampy. (woke me up in middle of night)  My cramps were not usual AF cramps but cramping all throughout my lower abdomen.  The bleeding has been just like a normal period with me except it will stop and start with the cramps.  

I have no abnormal clotting or pain (no pain today at all)althought i noticed a small tissue like clot probably the size of an (o) of pinkish clear tissue (starts of a sac??)  who knows..

I normally wear tampons throughout my af so i dont know what my normal bleeding is like.  I can normally use a super tampon on the first day and regular ones for the next 3.  I am not using a tampon for this bleeding (just in case).  Ever since i learned that my HCG is at -2 ive felt so much better..

Good luck ladies..  I hope we all go on to have healthy babies in 10 months!!

(i am now hoping for a new years baby!!)
with yesterday being CD1, if i conceive this month, my babe will be due Jan 2.    I found out my last baby died on Jan 3rd.. that would be surreal.. :-)
I cant wait to be a mommy..

While my OB in TX considered a chemical pg a m/c as did my docs with my boys, my doc now has never even heard of the term and he has been an OB/GYN for 30 years. Amazing, huh? He still counted them as m/c as there was enough to display a + result on more than one test.

They are far oelss traumatic on your body, so there should be no reason to wait if you feel emotionally up to trying again.

I am sorry to hear of your loss, but am hopeful to hear good news in the future from you.

Andi
Thanks Andi!!
I will talk to the Dr. tomorrow and see what comes next..

Have a good evening everyone!
Hi girls,

I'm not fully understanding what this 'chemical pregnancy' means.  How is it different from a natural m/c.  From what you are all saying I'm starting to think I had a chemical pregnancy since I had a BFP on the Sunday and started bleeding clots/tissue on the Tuesday.  Do you mean that is less trauma for my body because it was 'chemical' and I can TTC right away?  Do you two think I had a chemical pregnancy?  Not that it feels anymore differently emotionally...
http://www.askdramy.com/chempreg.html

this website explains it..

i had a m/c D&C back in january.  I was 10 weeks pregnant. I saw my baby on ultrasound with a head, body, legs, arms, etc.  the one thing s/he was missing was a heartbeat.

With this pregnancy i lost, I had an ultrasound done on monday and there was NOTHING in my uterus and no HCG in my system.  That means the egg was fertilized, implanted long enough to give off HCG then left.  Had my HCG been high enough, i would still have it in my system today.  My HPT on wed was light.. the one on thursday was lighter, by friday i probably wouldnt have a + anymore.. SO  my fertilized egg didnt even form.  That is a chemical pregnancy.  

I am fine today I feel like i am just on my period.. I had a feeling that something was wrong as soon as i got my BFP.  my boobs didnt hurt, i wasnt getting morning sickness.  i knew something was wrong.  So i never even got too excited with this one.  

My first miscarriage was devistating.. I was crushed.  I am now sad because i lost this pregnancy, but with an EARLY natural miscarriage, your body hasnt been through the trauma of pregnancy.  

i will ttc as soon as the bleeding stops.. i am not worried.. :-)
Good luck to you, i hope you feel better, and i am so sorry for your loss..

The way mine worked (I have had two) is that I got my BFP and within a week, I started bleeding. Basically like a period, but much heavier. I have almost always had extremly light af's, except with chemical pg, they are heavy, long, and very painful. The best way I can describe it is the fertilized egg implants as it should, but your body basically didn't get the message and resumes its normal monthly cleansing cycle, thus ending the early pg.

Either way, it is tough to accept the outcome. Once I see that BFP, I am elated. To have it end only a few days later is still quite a loss.

Andi
Thanks girls for the explanation it makes total sense now.  I'm convinced after reading your post that I had a chemical pregnancy.  I had no symptoms with this one unlike with my son so my body definately didn't go through the whole trauma of a pregnancy.  If I had not done a pregnancy test I would have just thought I had a late period since it happenend so soon after my BFP.  I just tested on Friday and I already have a BFN.  I am relieved to know I can TTC right away.  Also, it is a relief in some ways to know that I can conceive and I'm ovulating.  Thanks for the support!
First, let me say how sorry I am you are going thru this, I know how much you wanted this baby. When I had my chemical pg-m/c two months ago I was 4 wks 5 days and the bleeding was steady accompanied by a lot of cramping for the first two to three days (after a night of spotting) and then both tapered off for another few days. It felt like a very painful period.
wait hang on.. i think i feel a few gray hairs popping out..
damn..

:-)
A very wise friend of mine is against the use early detection HPT's for that very reason. Most of us would have been oblivious to the chemical pregnancies had we not been able to test so dang early. Of course, I still use them despite that. I am paying for it now!! I found out I was pg this time at 3 weeks 4 days (11 DPO) and that was 6 weeks ago, it certainly makes for a long 40 weeks!! Actually, with both of my boys, I found out early as well. I am a glutton for punishment. I so wish I could be that woman completely oblivious until I was 4 or 5 months along,lol.

Once dh and I started TTC this time around, I had a feeling the first + was going to end in m/c. I can't explain it, just a gut feeling. When I got the BFP in Dec, I just knew it wasn't going to stick, when I started spotting on x-mas eve a few days later, my fear was confirmed. Yet when I got this BFP, I knew all was well and that everything would work out for the best.

Keep trying, I am looking forward to reading all of those New Year's birth stories!

Andi
Hi girls,

I found this poem today and it gave me hope and faith that everything will be ok after my m/c and to continue ttc...it will work out for all of us!

A Different Child
poem by Pandora MacMillian

People notice
There's a special glow around you.

You grow
Surrounded by love,
Never doubting you are wanted;
Only look at the pride and joy
In your mother and father's eyes.

And if sometimes
Between the smiles
There's a trace of tears,
One day
You'll understand.

You'll understand
There was once another child
A different child
Who was in their hopes and dreams.

That child will never outgrow the baby clothes
That child will never keep them up at night
In fact, that child will never be any trouble at all.

Except sometimes, in a silent moment,
When mother and father miss so much
That different child.

May hope and love wrap you warmly
And may you learn the lesson forever
How infinitely precious
How infinitely fragile
Is this life on earth.

One day, as a young man or woman
You may see another mother's tears
Another father's silent grief
Then you, and you alone
Will understand
And offer the greatest comfort.

When all hope seems lost,
You will tell them
With great compassion,
"I know how you feel.
I'm only here
Because my mother tried again."
First i am REALLY SORRY FOR EVERYONES LOST. I also miscarried in Dec. at 6 weeks.  My question is when did everyones AF become normal if at all.  I ask because i got first AF 6 weeks later.  Then in February it took another 6 weeks, which was March 1.  So when should i expect my AF. I have no signs of it at all.  I am also ttc, my dh and i bd everyother day this month, but the hpt i took yesterday evening was negative.  Thanks.  

p.s. i know that you can only give advice and tell of your experiences but that is very welcomed.
That is really beautiful - thank you.
Hello to all I am sorry for your loss! I started to m/s on 6/10 I had very light spotting and hardly any cramping. My doctor did an ultra sound, I was only 4-5 weeks preggo. We saw the baby's sack and everything looked fine. The next day I had more lite bleeding only 1 very small clot smaller then a half of a peanut. I went back to the Dr and my HCG level went from 1400 to 800 with in 12 hours.Today is 6/14 and my Dr called because he tested the the tissue he said is was from the uterus lining, and had nothing to do with the preg. He wants to see me next week and test my HCG level and do another exam. Has anyone went through this before? I really do not understand why I need to be seen again. Because he had told me he does not need to see my unless I have heavy bleeding or cramping. Then he calls today and says he needs to see me next week.I just want to move forward. When do the symptoms of being preggo stop,when you have a m/s?
I am sorry to hear about everyones loss.  I have a situation of my own right now that is interesting.  I had a chemical pregnancy at 6wks.  It was around May 26th.  I started having discharge on May 27th.  Seemed to turn into a normal period and lasted 7 days.  on days 3-7 I took clomid.  Went to the doctor on June 13th to see if there were any ready follicles and there was.  Now on June 20th. I started haveing a brown discharge lasted for about 4 days and then I started bleeding with blood clots of all different sizes since.  It has been 10 days now.  i am not sure if it is really from the chemical preg. in may or not.  the doc says it is my system cleaning itself out.  but i do not know anybody else know.
I am 8 weeks pregnant, and started light bleeding (brown)week 7. It lasted for 3 days, now it is gone. I have not had any more bleeding since, and 3 ultrasounds show the baby is growing fine with a heartbeat detectable! Problem is, since the beginning of week 8, I have passed small pieces of grey tissue. This is totally freaking me out. I can't find much info on the internet, just to check with your doctor. Am I m/c? My doctor says not necessarily, and the fact that I have lots of pregnancy symptoms is a good sign. Sorry this is so long, but I was wondering if anyone else had this passage of grey tissue and still had a healthy baby? By the way, the grey tissue started after I started taking progesterone....Thanks for any input.
I have never experienced the loss of a child, and I am sorry for all your losses. I was wondering if perhaps some of you have experieced something similar to what I am going through. My husband and I have been trying for a baby for over two years. He is a shift worker and works away 2 weeks out of every month. I have an average cycle of about 32 days each month and every month I can feel exactly when I ovulate, as I get a bit of ovulation pain each month. I finished my period about 12 days ago and on the day before I ovulated I started spotting. I got excited initally, however, I dismissed it as it was too soon for implantation spotting. The next day I had the usual ovulation pain except there was a lot more mucous and there was quite a bit of brown blood. The bleeding was about the same the next day, and then it got worse and red the next day. It has lessened and is a pinky brown colour, however still seems to be showing no signs of stopping. I have been bleeding now for about 5 days. I am going to go back to the doctor if it lasts longer than my usual period which is 6-7 days. I don't believe that it has anything to do with pregnancy due to timing issues with my husband not being here at the right time this month and last month.  Has anyone ever experienced bleeding like this? Is it possible that it may be a chemical pregnancy or a miscarriage? I feel discomfort, bloating, but definitely not like a period. Could it just be my period being 14 days early? What do you think?
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, but I also wanted to say thank you for the detail and information on this site.  I am in the middle of my second m/c.  The first was in Sept at around 9 weeks.  It was devistating.  I am presently bleeding and having a chemical pregnancy at 4 weeks.  My experience is much the same as many others.  One week after finding out I was preggo, I had a week of brown spotting, followed by heavy bleeding, clots, and cramping.  It's lighter today but still not done.

Although I guess this is normal for many people to have a chemical pregnancy, because we have now lost two pregnancies, I was wondering if I should talk to my doctor about testing for reasons I have not been able to be successful.  He had said that usually testing is done after three m/c's.  Has anyone done any testing and what kind?  Blood test? Ultrasound? Just wondering.

Thank you!
When I was pregnant I had a lot of craps the whole pregnancy and I carried until 13 weeks but baby died around 5 weeks or so.  I just thought it was normal and each week it seemed to get worse and I wasn't bleeding so I thought nothing of it.  I then miscarried and it was like a normal period and I didn't have any clotting until the baby passes and it was a clot that I would say was a little bigger than a quarter then my bleeding slowly stopped...  Im so sorry for you lose, I know how bad it hurts!
Hi, I think i am going through a m/c right now too. I went to the doctor last week for an exam at 4 weeks pregnant. he said he saw some blood and when  he did the ulttrasound he just saw a yoke sak and nothing else. Can it be that he caused the bleeding by the exam. Now i am bleeding heavily but no clots have passed at all. waht do you all think. thanks.
Hi, I started bleeding 3 days early, it was light so I thought I was pregnant but then the next night it started gettin heavier and some clots it lasted about 4 to 5 days but then it started gettin lighter I had some little cramps and I felt like throwing up I just wanted to sleep. Do you think I miscarried or is it just the egg borrowing into the fetus?? Idk need help.
Thanks future hmh
Hi all. I found all the posts by you useful and now to my dilema...

I am 41 years old. Tubaligation 15 years ago. For the last 2 weeks, I have been having A LOT of cramps, like menstrual cramps. Pain in my lower back. I was also 15 days late on my period. All the cramps but no period. I talked to a Mayo Clinic RN on the nurse line, and she said at the time it seemed like an ectopic pregnancy. I explained that HPT's all showed negative. She said that sometimes there isnt enough hormones to show in urine. Yesterday, I started bleeding VERY heavily and I have many clots. When I say heavy, I mean soaking a tampon in 1.5 hrs and I slept with 4 super pads on last night, soaking them all. Blood brighter than I usually get in a normal flow. Since I was never 'diagnosed" with an ectopic (havent been to the dr yet) or even a regular preg, does this sound like symptoms of a m\c (high amount of blood) and should I go get checked out?
i just had a m/c today :( searched this to see if what im going through is normal.... guess it is! i was 6 to 7 weeks pregnant, and my u/s showed i was only 4 weeks and 2 days pregnant. they said it could go either way. but when i got home i started having the worst cramps i had ever had IN MY LIFE. called my dr, and he said the only meds i can take were tylenol just in case i was still preg. i couldnt walk. i was vomiting, and bleeding normally like my regular period. but then i noticed really huge clots like the size of a plum.after that i felt much better... my stomach feels like it does after a stomach virus- very weak.

hope this helps others that will go through it after i did...
I am currently going through my third miscarriage. It is a very sharp intense pain in the lower abdomen that almost takes your breath away. I have had very much more blood than I did the last 2 times. It is very thick and clotted and very heavy. I am changing a pad about every 1-2 hours. This has lasted 6 days now and hopefully will end soon. My body naturally passed it this time rather than me having to take the medicine to do so I was 5w 6d this time. Good luck to you