Maternal & Child Community
Bleeding during pregnancy with no visible yolk sac at 6 week U/S

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I recently miscarried my first pregnancy 3/1/06, and now we are expecting again. My LMP was 5/8/06, ovulated 5/19/06, had textbook implantation bleeding 5/31/06, and got positive HPT 6/4/06. My HCG levels were monitored early because of my recent miscarriage and are doubling appropriately. I started bleeding heavy bright red blood on 6/8/06 which lasted for 4 days, but HCG levels continued to rise. The past week I have had no bleeding and went for first U/S on 6/19/06. My doctor could visualize a gestational sac but not an embryo or yolk sac, and was able to rule out an eptopic pg. She also said she could see some blood within the sac which could explain my bleeding. I have another U/S on 6/26/06 but she is concerned she may not be able to tell me much more at that point. Can this be a normal finding at a 6 week U/S? Is it possible that I was carrying twins, miscarried one, and this is the reason for a slow growing embryo? My HCG level on 6/19/06 was 2590, does this correlate with the U/S findings?
Stick baby dust to you***********************************

I hope all is well. Maybe you should call your Doctor and ask for a more straight forward diagnosis.

Good luck and kkep us posted.

I don't think you should be too concerned about only seeing the sac in the u/s. Sometimes it takes a bit longer than 6 weeks to see the heartbeat. Also, I was told by my Doctor that the Hcg has to be at 2000 to be able to see more than a sac. In terms of Hcg counts, 2,500 isn't really that much more, and if the doctor didn't ahve a strong u/s machine, its very likely that you wouldn't have seen more than a sac at this point. I hope that makes sense. Please don't worry though. If your hcg is still doubling like they said, then there's no need to worry about it, try to relax until your next u/s. Good luck.
Hopefully 6 weeks is just too early and I'll see more next week. The waiting game is the hardest part though! Does anyone know what might have caused the bleeding within the sac?
i don't think you should worry about not seeing the embryo at 6 weeks - it's still early and sometimes takes a little more time to show itself. but i don't know anything about the bleeding, from your post it doesn't sound like your dr. was concerned about the bleeding in terms of m/c - i could be wrong but that's what i understood. if your hcg is going up that's a good sign - i don't know though about numbers and where they're supposed to be at at each week. did your dr. seem concerned about possible m/c? did he/she contribute the fact of the bleeding to anything else? was he/she overly concerned about not seeing the embryo yet - i really do think 6 weeks is still early. thinking of you and hoping all is well.
I also have a similar  story.  I had my LMP on April 25.  I have had 4 ultrasounds so far.  The first one they saw nothing, second- a sac, third - sac and yolk.  My doctor said he didnt think that I had a viable pregnancy and I had a D&C scheduled for tommorrow 6/22.  He ordered one last sonogram for today, and they found a fetal pole, and no heartbeat.  Today I measured at 6w1day, and last week measured at almost 7w.  I am so confused.  My doctor still dosent think this is a viable pregnancy.  I also have blood pooling outside of my sac, and have actually passed a strange stringy thing on two occasions.  The doctor wants to do one final ultrasound next week to see if the fetus has a heartbeat, and if it dosent, he wants to do a D&C.  Any suggestions or comments, because I am so confused!!!!
I am currently 7 weeks. A week ago, I started spotting then on Saturday started bleeding heavily. With my history of miscarraiges (I have had 5) I went to the emergency room. They did a pelvic exam and said my cervix was still closed which was a good sign. Then they did a vaginal ultrasound with a portable US machine. Well they could barely find the sack. But when they did find the sack, they said they could not find any fetal pull. And it looked like the sac could be empty. But they said that it may just be too early and I would have to wait. Then they ran my HCG levels and they were high. So because of the high numbers, they were concerned that they couldnt see anything. For this, they had me go to the radiology department and get an US done there with one of their really high tech machines. So I had another vaginal US. This time, they found the fetal pull, and got a heartbeat (I even got to hear the heartbeat). So with your situation, it could be that the US machine was just not good enough. I know it is excrutiating not knowing what to expect, but hang in there and wait until they do the next US. They should be able to find something in a couple weeks.
I hope all works out well for you. Good luck.
That is a good question. It is possible. My numbers were at 27000. They told me that with the numbers that high, they should have been able to EASILY see something even with a regular tummy ultrasound. That is why they sent me to the radiologist team. My very first pregnancy ended with a blighted ovum (empty sack). At that time when I was supposed to be 6 weeks, the sack was measuring 4. Then at what was supposed to be 8 weeks, I had another US and it was only measuring 5 weeks. The next day I had the actual miscarraige (miscarriage) and expelled the sack. I have no idea what my numbers were with that pregnancy. I will tell you a strange story though. My best friend was pregnant. At 6 weeks she started bleeding very heavy. It went on for several days and she started passing clots. She went to the ER. They said that the sac was empty and she most likely had a blighted ovum. They did blood work and her numbers only increased about 15% in 48 hours. So she thought for sure that she was going to M/C. The heavy bleeding and blood clots continued for 2 weeks. Well to make a long story shorter. Her daughter is now almost 2 years old.
Question, I just had a m/c and when they did a us last week on wed.  it measured 6weeks 6days.  They saw no baby or heard no heartbeat.  They told me blighted ovum.  my hcg levells were 19000.  Is it possible that they couldn't see the baby and it was in there?
Very odd.  I go to the doctor Friday to make sure I am having or had a m/c.  The bleeding has almost stoped.  It has been seven days, same amount my period would have been.  I am not so sure I would put that much hope in thinking I had a baby in there still, but who knows.  My hope is not so high.  I need for them to tell me I had a m/c then it will be complete.
Make sure that when you go to the doctors on Friday, that they do an ultrasound. Because unless you know FOR SURE that you expelled the sac, then there is a possibility that you may have not M/C. I am not trying to get your hopes up. I just want you to know 100% for sure.
Good Luck. I wish you the best.
I am not sure if I expelled it or not.  I will talk with him Firday.   Its one of those things where there is a 10%.  I don't have high hopes.  I will find out I guess.
I am 8 weeks, went to my first doc visit yesterday and she did not see heart beat. She saw the sac and embrio and it measured 6 w /1 day. she said that a miscarriage may happen but I am not bleeding, no pain, no nothing bad I was feeling great except that now I am sad and nervous because it may happen any time...she schedule a visit for another U/S next monday. I am just so worried I had a M/C in 2003 before I had my precious 2 year old girl that I think deserves a sibling I am 37 y old and husband is 39 I dont think we are too old but I understand the risk is just much higher.

l,
Hi everyone, first of all I haven't been bleeding at all
my problem is that I am 8 weeks pregnant and my doctor already did 3 ultrasounds on me, and we do not see a baby in the sack, all we see is an empty sack, my doctor says its a bad pregnancy.
He told me this on my very first u/s, I am very scared, I was really looking forward to having this baby. on my second u/s we still didn't see anything so I asked the doctor to go ahead and terminate the pregnancy, because its so hard for me to have all the symptoms of a real pregnancy and knowing that there's not a baby growing inside of you.  My doctor said he couldn't do it until we had a second opinion so he schedule an appointment for me at my local hospital for another u/s. At the hospital they made two u/s, one was vaginal and the other was on my tummy. The tech did not tell me any thing at all about the u/s, I have to wait until tomorrow that I see my doctor to hear the results.
Family members tell me I'm worrying to much, but I can't help it. Has anyone experienced something similar?
Hi everyone!  I had 2 previous pregnancies w/o problems which resulted in two handsome little boys.  Then the 3rd and 4th time I got pregnant I miscarried!  My doctor did a Lupus panel and said I had phospholipid antibodies and antinuclear antibodies.  So when I get pregnant again, I will need to be on a daily baby aspirin.  I found out I was pregnant on June 22,2006 and my LMP was May 24th,2006.  I immediately started my aspirin and he did an U/S on July 5th (6weeks) and said he saw a gestational sac and he will scan me again in 2 weeks and he should see a heartbeat.  Well over the weekend I have been having some brown spotting (small amt).  So I called the office yesterday (my regular MD of 12 years is on vacation) and I was seen by a lady on yesterday.  Yesterday I was 6W5d,  She said that she saw a gestational sac, but no fetal pole!  She said that my regular MD documented in his notes that on last Wednesday he saw a sac and a pole.  I told her that he never told me that he saw a pole.  She had the u/s tech to scan me again with another machine and she said the sac was measuring 6wks and she did not see a pole.  The DR. recommended that maybe I should just go ahead and take something to induce the miscarriatge b/c it is a bad pregnancy and she would write the RX!  There is no way I am doing that!  You barely can see the spotting and the gest. sac is intact.  I am not having any pain.  After I refused, she said we can scan you again on Friday 7/14/06, but "don't be suprised if you I start bleeding and cramping over the next couple of days".  I am so scared, I don't know what to think!  I hope this is not happening a 3rd time!!  I am just going to pray that the baby is OK and she is wrong!!
HI everyone

I have been scanning boards like this for 8 days.  I am 8 weeks 2 days pregnant.  at 6 weeks 5 days I had light brown spotting (quarter size) about 5 times over three days.  The next week (last week) they did Beta HCG tests 3 days apart and my numbers doubled from 10800, to 26200 on Friday.  Felt Great!  Yesterday I had a quarter size amount of light brown spotting again and felt very panicked and went to the ER.  After 5 hours, a blood test, a pelvic exam and a transvaginal ultrasound, they told me my HCG had risen to 33,500 (only a 30% increase over 72 hours) and they could see a gestational sac measuring 6W5D (I know I am 8W1D).  They told me that I am probalby losing the baby and scheduled an ultrasound for one week from now to confirm.   What a sad horrible thing to go through b/c I am still nauseaus and have sore breasts etc.  It's hard to accep that this is the end.
I've never done the chat room thing before, but my mind won't stop going so I am going to give this a try. I am 8w 2d pregnant with my first child. We are so excited. It took awhile and we had to use clomid, but it worked. I had a very small amount of brown spotting 2 weeks ago. I had my hcg levels checked last M,W,F. Between M and F it only went from 3665 to 4125. My Dr told me to expect to have a m/c over the weekend. I did not have one. I had an u/s yesterday and they found the sac, fetus, and the yolk sac but no heartbeat. They said the baby measures 6w1d and it should have been 8w1d. It is possible that since my periods were so irregular before that I ovulated late and therefore I am not as far along as I think. I have another u/s Friday to check for a heartbeat. I have had no nausea and my breast tenderness is lessening which scares me. Should I be concerned about the low hcg levels and the loss of breast tenderness? I have read that some women have healthy babies with low levels of hcg. I feel your pain ansiosa. The not knowing is horrible!
Tuesday I went to the doctors for a us i was suppose to be 9 weeks pregnant. they told me my dates must be off but they're not. on june 12th i took a pos pregnancy test we are now in july. they said i look like i'm almost 5 weeks. there was a sac but it was very small and empty. i have to go back in 7 days for another us. is this a blighted ovum or did something happen like false test results and now i am pregnant. if so what happenend to the other month when i did not start menstrual cycle. i'm very nervous and scared that it's a blighted ovum. but too soon for them to tell me this. or will i go back for us and all of a sudden see a fetus?
i have had 2 healthy babies with early bleeding in both,,, a miscarriage also,,,, sufforing bleeding now with a visable sack which is growing slowly,, and hormone levels which are gaining slowly but not doubling,,,,  still no embryo found in sack.... ,,,, is all this possible with a viable embryo????????????????????????
hi this is my first time posting, well my lmp was 27/01/09, was due on 24/02/09, never showed. hpt said neg at home and at docs office 2 days later as well. went for ultrasound same day, and sac was seen with yolk sac. i estimated to be 4.2 wks but maybe further. anyway was scheduled for repeat scan in 2 wks, i had ectopic on 11/11/ 07 and lost left tube, so i was high risk. pregnancy symptoms was very present, then one wk later as i turned 5wks, started spottin pink, then light brown then some dark red, with a small amt of tissue i think. i never soaked a pad, had no back pain only tuggings and a few tightenings in uterus. this all started on 04/03/09 and ended on 06/03/09. i never had a complete flow jus center of pad was wet with brown staining. went to er on 06/03/09 and was told nothing is there, i was probably never pregnant, because test was stil showing neg. i have a very retroverted uterus, and had to tip my bottom off bed for first ultrasound, for sac to be seen. well 8 days later and i still feel pregnant, with cramps i dont usually get. Both ultrasounds said no ectopic, still my breasts is huge and i am so sleepy still. anyways went to my doc today he is not happy with E.R results, cause he believed they didnt do it correctly, and he is saying i should of bled more. well sometimes i believe something is stil there then i dont. i have cried alot and made peace with myself now my doc feels i am still pregnant and the E.R mised something. could these symptoms of still sore breasts mean ovulation already? who knows i want to believe i stil have my baby after trying for a yr, but maybe i should let go. have 3 lovely sons but want a daughter. well my doc sent me for ultrasound 2moro and i will be seeing the first songrapher, bloods have been taken and i am still waiting for E.R doc to call me with results. sorry for all ur losses, wish u all peace and much love.
well i have experienced some strange things my self, and after reading so mant of these womens experience, the best can come ur way, but jus be mutual with ur feelings and expect to hear good news r bad news. i personally feel these little humans r being probed at 2 early. maybe they jus wanna be left alone and let God do his thing. jus my opinion. wish u all the best
hi all, i have had 2 m/c have no children an im now 6 weeks with my 3rd pregnancy, i started bleeding went to emergency room an they told me the cervix is closed an the bleeding cud be a vessel ou tside the whom an tempature can cause the vessel to bleed the next morning i went 4 a vaginal scan an they can see the yok sac and a fetus which is tiny at the top corner thought they saw a few flickers of a heart beat but there not possitive cos its only 6 wks just have to w8 now till the 22nd to see if heartbeat but still spotting but its more like a yellowy browny colour anybody had this GUD LUK to all xx