Maternal & Child Community
Bleeding during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Bleeding during pregnancy

Well I am 6 weeks pregnant. Today is Sunday, and Friday night around 5 pm I noticed bleeding in my underwear, it was  a dark brown color. I kind of freaked out for moment, but then I went online and read some articles and pretty much figured things would be ok because I wasn't having any cramping. Well the bleeding stopped for a good 3 hours. Later on that night My husband and I had sexual intercourse. And right after I was bleeding and It was bright red. Well I started to get worried so I went to the emergency room. And they pretty much told me that It was to early to tell anything, and I couldnt have a ultra sound because I was not that far along. Well he did a exam and said there was only slight bleeding which to me is alot, but not alot to them. So they determined it as a threatened miscarriage. So its hard not knowing if your going to have miscarriage or not. Here it is Sunday and I am still bleeding usually only using 1 pad a day and changing it at night before I go to bed, The blood is still bright red, not like my normal period. I have no cramping at all. So I have been reading up on this, and I have been thinking well i dont think im going to have a miscarriage because sometimes its normal during the 1st trimester. But I don't want to give my hopes up. I have had a miscarriage before, my very first pregnancy. I was 14 weeks pregnant when I had it, but then 2 years later I ended up having a healthy baby girl. And now 2 years later again, pregnant. So Im just wondering I need some help and advice I guess, to reassure me everything is going to be fine.
hayhaygiles - I am going through a very similiar situation myself. I had a m/c back in Sept and it was 4 days of bleeding bright red blood with blodd clots (sorry tmi). Well we are preggers again (6 weeks) and last night I noticed some brown spotting only when I wiped (sorry tmi). Now I now brown isn't too bad but I was scheduled for a D&C (my HCG levels were decreasing) for Friday which I canceled b/c it just wasn't in my heart to go through. So based on my low levels there is a chance that I will m/c. However, I am not dooming this pregnancy as a m/c until I am 100% for sure. I too have no cramping which i definietly experienced my last m/c; cervix is still closed; and I am still having symptoms. I hate the er b/c you leave more scared than when you went. I know its hard but don't stress and take it easy. It could be a result of the bd'ing and not anything to be worried about at all. I would call you dr 1st thing tommoorrow and get an appt for that day. But in the meantime, take it easy and don't stress. Please keep us updated on how you are doing and I wish you all the best! Extra sticky baby dust to yo.....
Thank you so much for the confidence, it really helps alot. And to much information is never too much ! :) Take care and I will keep you updated
While you are bleeding/spotting make sure not to have sex. If your cervix is irritated sex will make it worse and with my first pregnancy when I was spotting they told me not to have sex for 7 days after the bleeding stops. Unfortuantly my doctors office didn't tell me that until after I had sex once and I started bleeding red, then they said if you have any spotting don't have sex until 7 days after the spotting stops.  Please keep me updated and let me know what happens. Sticky baby dust to you.
Also try to stay calm, stress isn't good for your or the baby. Spotting or light bleeding can be normal between 5-7 weeks pregnant they consider it implantation bleeding. Also, some women will have a light "period" throughout there whole pregnancy when there period would be due.
I've had bleeding too, several times during my pregnancy, and spotting everyday between the bleeding from my 5th week up to my 18th week. My bleeding was from a subchorionic hemorrhage which seems to have healed itself. I'm now 22 1/2 weeks and no more bleeding and it seems things are going good. I pray that things will improve for you too! Don't lose hope! Take care and please keep us posted on how you're doing!

Crystal
I'm 12 weeks pregnant and i have been bleeding also, but I saw the heartbeat and the baby kicking can someone help am i going to lose this baby
I am 12w2d preg and finally stopped spotting last week.  I found out as early as 4 weeks preg and bleed since day 1.  I have only had sex once this whole time (my poor husband) because I am too scared for starters and then the doctor told me not to.   I think maybe you shouldn't either.  Bleeding isn't always a bad thing.  Unfortunatly the only thing you can do is wait and see.  Trust me, I know from experience its so hard.  I didn't think I would make it this far.  I cried tons of tears thinking I was loosing my baby.  I also have had 2 m/c before and so far this will be my first child.  Who would have ever thought that pregnancy would be more scary than joyful??   I hope your okay!
If you are 6 weeks along they should have given you an ultrasound.  They gave me one at 4.5 weeks along knowing they would not even see anything because the baby just is not there yet but when they did they were at least able to see the thickening of my uterus and also determine that something was ruptured in there causing my bleeding with a positive pregnancy test.

At 6 weeks you should be able to see the baby and I think (not sure it has been a few months for me) that is when you may possible begin to see the heartbeat.  Blood goes both ways in pregnancy I bleed for 4 months and I am now nearly 7 months THANK GOD everything is going ok but it was a scary start.  But it can also be a sign of a MC and/or Ectopic that is why they should have given you an ultrasound.  Take your health into your own hands and make demands when you go to the hospital/doctors.  They will not turn you away in fear of what may happen.

Good LUck, I am sure everything will be ok.  PS always avoid sex when anything may be wrong - bleeding, fluids, cramping, etc.  If your cervex is loose that may make it worse.
I bleed until 14 weeks - everytime I went to the doctor they always checked to be sure my cervex was closed and I had numerious ultrasounds.  I didnt think the spotting would ever stop - sometimes even clots but it did around 14 weeks.  I am now 27 weeks.  some people just bleed, I dont think you are going to loose your baby but I was there and I know why you would think that way.  It is hard and very scary to see that stuff on you when you know it is a bad sign.  Just stay calm, lots of women bleed and looks like you are one of the.

Congrats and good luck.
Well, here is an update, its Monday, and  I am still bleeding, I am usually only using 2 pads a day. The bleeding is still bright red, and still no cramping, I called my OB nurse, she has yet to return my phone call so hopefully I will be able to get in today. I have been reading all your comments, and I thank you all for the support. It makes me feel so much better that this pregnancy will continue to be healthy. I really do appreciate all of your support, because I cannot seem to get it from anyone else but you and my husband. So I thank you guys alot, it means so much. I will keep it updated Take care:)
I have been following your post since you put it up and am keeping you in my thoughts! I have been going through very similar circumstances to yours in the past week -- have been having dark brown bleeding/spotting for a week straight and it is still going on!! It freaks me out, but I have been told many women go on to have healthy pregnancies after spotting early on (I'm 7 weeks now), so I'm trying to keep my hopes up. Make sure to keep us all posted, and I'll do the same. It helps to know others are experiencing the same tribulations.
I am typing this email from hospital bed, where I am to lie flat on my back for 24 hours (or more) which includes urinating in a bed pan.  I am about 5 weeks pregnant now with my second (my first is just turned 5 - little girl).  I did not have any bleeding or spotting with my first pregnancy so this is very new to me.  I started getting some discharge last night, which started off brownish / milky and turned to a like a dark red.  It was not heavy and I only say it when I went to the bathroom and wiped.  I immediately lay flat on my back and put my legs up.  I stayed like this for a couple of hours and then went to bed.  Then this morning I was still bleeding, still a pinky mixed with dark red and it looked to me like a bit of clotting.  I immediately contacted my doctor and rushed over.  She did an internal and said that the cervix is still closed and it does not look like active bleeding.  I have no cramps, just a bit of pressure like I need to wee all the time.  I have been in hospital from 09h45 this morning and it is now 08h26 pm and since i have been here there is not one drop of blood on my panties or on the pad.  I hope this is a good sign.  Any words of wisdom will be appreciated right now as I am all alone in a big empty room in this hospital.

Nat
my name is Jhene. Im 7weeks(be 2 months on tha 15 of feb) and i went to tha doctor's on tha 23 of january,come to find out i had a blatter infection..so tha doctor gave me sum pills to take to get rid of tha infection.But what made me go to tha doctor's was because i saw i lil bit of Blood..i was so Scared!!So i got tha pills in i took them, now im done with them,but last night when i went to tha restroom i noctied sum Dark-Brown blood but only when i wiped.In my doctor told me i dnt have nothing 2 worry about until it starts coming out thick,in heavy..im so Scared i really want this Baby i had a MC before thats why i think im so Scared this tyme!Sumone plzzz help me!!!!!! In do to tha fact that i had a MC before at 1mnth in 1week im really freakin out.I jus hope in pray everything goes good in my baby makes it.cause i really believe thsi is my Miracle baby
brown blood can be pretty normal.  I had brown blood until 10 weeks and right before it stopped it got really dark and heavier.  I went to the doctor because the change scared me and she almost laughed at me saying the darker blood meant it was ending.  your blood vessels swell when you get pregnant and can be torn easily with things like sex or exams so hopefully it is just something in your vagina bleeding.  good luck!
let me clarify that...the blood was ending.  I was about to stop bleeding.
when i was preg with my daughter i bleed from when i was 3 weeks preg till i gave birth.As she got bigger the blood was less. I bleed red blood with her to. So i just want to tell you that there is alot of hope that it could be ok. I would see if there are any high risk DR's where you live.My DR's are high risk and i think that they are really good they watch everything because i am high risk. It dont hurt to get a 2nd opion. And i had to stay on bed rest but the bed rest helped with the bleeding. Good luck. and God bless you and your family
I am 5 weeks and my hcg is 127, the day after test I started spotting, no cramping it's brown and some light pink! So this is normal? Repeating hcg Monday! Praying everything is ok! Have not been pregnant since 1997, and it ended with miscarriage! I am 35 with mo children, I hope this spotting is nothing
I am seven weeks and have bleeding for a week now , no cramping.  Its terrifying. I went to the er and they did an ultrasound and found a heartbeat,  but it was slower than theyd like.  My hormones were a little low but r still going up slowly. Hope everything is gonna be ok.  Your posts helped me remain hopeful
I was spotting some brown 4 days ago.. real light and only when i wiped... i went to the ER the day after because my OB said it was a good idea since i was so early... ( i thought i was 6 weeks.) it actually got a little heavier before i went.  The ER did an internal U/S and said i looked to be only 4 weeks by the size of the baby. but my cervix was closed and they could see the baby. They said i may only be 4 weeks or the baby may have stopped growing at 4 weeks. They wanted me to go today to get my HCG levels read again... through a lot of work i finally got it done (the ER messed up the script and the lab couldnt find the requesting doctor) so i called my OB to order it for me and they did but refused to put stat because they didnt think they would get it back in time and didnt want an on call physician to have to call me... so im stuck waiting til Monday to find out if my HCG levels have doubled... this is torture.. now i have more of a dark red blood coming out.. none of it has been pink and i have had no cramping... Im afraid to even leave my house in fear that i may start to m/c out in public... I have two happy healthy boys, but this pregnancy has been different from the beginning... i hope everything works out for you. This being scared and not knowing is the worst experience of my life.
I am 39, and on Thursday night I started to have very light bleeding.  No cramping at first but then it started along the right side only. Once in the night when I got up to pee, a small amount of bright red came out maybe it was a small clot...I rested all the next day, and only pinkish brownish till nothing more by Saturday evening, and no more cramps. I would classify it as spotting, as I never had to use a pad. I am 6.5 weeks along, but never had this happen before..I hVe had u/so before this happened and saw heartbeat and breast really still sore ++... Any thoughts?
i also am really worried i sufferd from a miscarriage 3 months ago. and this friday found out i was preg throu 3 positive test but on the saturday i started to bleed its a dark brown colour with small blood clots(really tiny) i put it down to m/c again id only be 5 weeks. this mornin i told another test and i got a very faint positive. does any1 think its pos i could still be pregnant its very dif from last mc im very confused i went to docs last nyt but he says to early to do anythin i just want to know if iv lost my baby or not :-(