Maternal & Child Community
Bleeding in Early Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Bleeding in Early Pregnancy

Hey ladies, don't know if anyone remembers me, I haven't been around around much in a few months. I am happy to be able to say I finally got my BFP last week!

My question is for anyone who has had early bleeding in their pregnancy. On Sat I had a single episode of bright red blood that was maybe the amount of a 1/2 dollar. After that I spotted brown and today it is there only when I wipe, but vitually non-existent. No cramping involved, but the bright red freaked me out. I went for a beta today and have not heard back. I am 16 DPO (4 weeks).

The lab tech said something that didn't sound right. She said by now my numbers should be 500 and up. I looked around on the web and it said the norm can range widely. Should they have doubled by Wed to be a normal pregnancy? I go back then.

My other question is that amount of blood couldn't have been a miscarriage, could it? I thought there was quite a bit of bleeding involved, even that early. Or could that be a signal that one is impending? Thanks in advance, ladies, I want to be excited, but I am so worried right now!
I am so sorry about what you are going through. With my last pregnancy, I spotted brown blood around the time of AF and come to find out it was a blighed ovum. They say that brown blood is old blood, but I read today where someone said that brown blood was not good and needs to be checked out.  As for the bright red blood, could be nothing or can be a sign of impending m/c. Many ladies have said they bled throughout their entire pregnancy and still delivered a healthy happy baby. Are you cramping or do you have a dull backache? The only way for you to be really sure is to go to your doctor for an U/S and if he wont do one then go to the ER and tell them you are pregnant and bleeding and they will do one there. Please keep us updated on your situation and you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Amber
Thank you Amber! When can they see anything on U/S? How early can they tell if it is a B.O.?
They should be able to see something on ultrasound once your levels reach 3000 according to my doctor.  A BO is not really diagnosed until a series of u/s shows no yolk sac, or fetal pole and the gestational sack is irregular and continues to be empty after several weeks.  Mine was empty at 4 weeks and was still empy at 6 and 8 weeks. I hope this helps. Thanks and good luck
amber
I had a natural miscarriage when I was 5 weeks and 2 days pregnant...Oct.3 I started to spot(pink at first,then brown) at first then the next day, I started bleeding bright red blood,and went to the hospital.I had no pain,or cramping just like a period,but with many clots.I didnt have to have a d&c. do you still have pregnancy symptoms? when i was pregnant, my breast hurt so bad,the day I started to spot my breast pain lessoned. And I did have lower back pain. Well I hope this helps. Good luck to you and keep us posted
There is a wide range of possibilities for the number but the one consistent is that is should double in 48 hours so Wednesday you should know more. Your nurse was probably thinking of an 'average' kind of number. Can't hurt to get off your feet and relax for a few days until you get the numbers. I do remember when I had my 2 mc's I was really way too busy (international trips, running around, more than a FT job) and I always wondered-- the current baby (14 wks) was conceived on a 3 month break, and I just don't work that much anymore, haven't planned any trips (I had 10 students on that I was taking). Hope rest works for you too...
I have a post on here about my bleeding.  I started spotting bright red blood when I was 5w6d and I am now 15w today.  I spot every four or five days and my doc says it can be completely normal.  This past Saturday, I passed some clots also and still, they say it's normal.  I was told "not to stress out" unless I bled so much that I had to put on a pad and actually switch to another pad.  I have had umpteen pelvics and my cervix is always tightly closed.  Also, I don't have any cramping.  I do notice that a couple of hours before I notice the spotting (usually just when I wipe) that I will feel a little stinging sensation at my cervix for a second or two.  

Has your doc checked you for an infection?  They can swab your cervix and do a culture.  Although all mine have come back negative, they told me that sometimes women naturally get a vaginal infection of some type and it can cause irritation of the cervix, hence the bleeding.  They still don't know why I have been bleeding and the baby's heartbeat is in the 140's.  I have an ultrasound this Friday and my doc said it may end up being placenta previa that is causing the bleeding.  I guess I'll find out Friday.

Good luck to you and try not to worry about it too much (that's impossible though, isn't it?)  I'll keep you in my thoughts.  Keep us updated.
Close to 6wks I spotted bright red & then darker for several days, the ER just said if I came in there was nothing they could do (so no one ever cked my #'s again once I started bleeding) but they figured it was just my uterus stretching & causing the blood. I did this again around 17wks w/both my pg's. DS#1 was very healthy & baby #2 is 32wks in the making :) Hope things wk out great for u!!!!
Hi there, I had some slight bleeding, similar to what you are saying, at about 4-5weeks.  When I had a date scan at 6weeks the lady asked if I had been spotting as this is a sign of the egg implanting in your uterus.  
I am now 15 weeks and experienced a small amount of bleeding about 2 weeks ago.  My midwife informed me that after the initial first 6 weeks, no bleeding was 'normal' however it can happen. It may pay to chat to your doctor or midwife if your concerned, experience any pain or have any more bleeding.  I wish you the best :)
I had light pink spotting around 4 weeks. It turned brown the next day, and the following day I had bright reddish/orange spotting. Went to the doctor that day and everything was fine. They said it is not uncommon. Again, as long as you aren't having unbearably painful cramps (not the usual "stretching" cramps and such) and an overabundance of bright red blood (2 pads or more a day), then your are probably alright.
Of course, you should call or see your dr when you have any bleeding, to be on the safe side...but usually everything's alright. I had a tiny bit of brown discharge last week (just a few of the teeniest spots), and I'm 14W 3D. But it was only a couple times and only when I wiped, so I didn't call my dr. I WILL let him know at my next appt, though...just to be cautious! :-)

Anyway, hope this helps calm your fears a little.

Best of luck!
Thank you ladies, I feel much better now! I never realized how many people bleed in early pregnancy. The nurse called and my beta was 97. She said that was fine for 4 weeks, but it needs to have doubled by tomorrow. So here's hoping and praying that this bean sticks! :)

Erin
I am 7 weeks 5 days and started spotting 6 weeks five days first brown than bright red than brown again for 5 days. The bleeding stopped I had an u/s the other and they saw a heart beat A 7 weeks 1 day preg. Now today I woke up had pink spotting when I wiped which has nowturned to brown, I am veryfrustrated as I have had 4 healthy pregnancies, than I m/c in June and I fear it will happen again . Has anyone had this same issue and gone onto carry to term?
Ok so I don't know where else to turn at 1 am except to this computer and I found you guys so hopefully someone will be able to help!!!!..I went to the bathroom a couple hours ago and when I wiped there was bright red blood on the TP. According the the online calculator I'll be 5 3/7 weeks tomorrow. I know some of you talk about implantation bleeding but when I read up on it I thought that took place around 1 or 2 weeks after conceving? Which that I already did to. When it was about time to start my cycle I had the same thing, a bright red when I went to the bathroom but never anything more. It's not there in my underwear or anything only when I'd wipe..I had a M/C a few years ago and I thougth it started like this too...some bleeding then all of the sudden one day I passed it. I have no cramping or other symptoms. To be hoenst I still can't believe I'm pregnant I don't even feel anything just some sore breast when I take off my bra. I thought it was just to early still.
I have a couple of questions. I am confused! Yesterday myleft side was hurting,like a sharp little pain. Then later on that ngiht i had a little clot with bright red blood. I am on birth control buti missed a few pills.
could ibe pregnant?
I am 10 weeks 1 day pregnant, I woke up today with brownish blood stains in my underwear, when I wiped there was more.  Spoke to the doctor and hospital and told rest and wait...it stopped for a few hours and now its bright red and there every time I wipe (which is a lot cause I keep going to the loo and checking).  Have an appointment for scan on Monday...if nothing happens in the meantime....This is not spotting its bleeding..Anyone ever have a lot of blood and have a positive outcome?  How long did you bleed for?
my doctor told me that brown blood is NOT old or new....it simply means hormonal. red/maroon blood is shedding uterus and pink is just a small amount. Hope this makes sense.
Hi I am about 13 to 14 weeks, and I have had 9 previous miscarriages, this is the first time that i have come this far though. I got pregnant 10 days after my last miscarriage,, and as such had no idea that I was pregnant until the 12th week. In that time I have bleed brown, dark red, and blood red. I have passed small clots and I even passed a lump that looked like liver and that was the size of the plam of my hand. I do not go through one day that I am not bleeding in some way even if just a discharge. Every time i have gone for a scan which has bene almost one a week, everything has been just fine with my baby. he is jumping around, and his heart was beating fine. I hace noticed that i cannot do any movement other than basic essentials. i also have realised that basic housework makes me bleed more. So I have just been resting with my feet higher than my heart.
All i can say is that apparantly bleeding is normal, and as long as you keep the stress down to a minimum level, and just do breathing exercises and lots of faith, hopefully everything will be ok. I will keep u posted as to what the outcome of my pregnancy is.
I am 6wks 3days and started spotting at 4wks 5days. Initially it started light brown and then became dark brown. It stopped for about 4 days. At 6 wks I did a trans abdomen USG and we could see the fetal pole and heartbeat. On this day I started again with a light brown spot. Next day it turned to a 3 drop red spot (only once). on the following day again there was a light red spot. Now the spotting is brown to dark brown.My doc has put me on progesterone suppositories (twice a day) although my progesterone is 30. She said it is to support the pregnancy.

My worry is that is it normal to spot for so long (almost 2 weeks). This is my 2nd pregnancy. 1st pregnancy was 8 years back. Can I resume work as staying home is probably making me anxious about the spotting. Any advise? pls help
I am 9 weeks and started spotting brown, only when i wiped. Then on the second day i started having heavier brown/red spotting with mild cramps and a heavy feeling in my lower abdomen. This started week ago, as the days pass the spotting becomes heavier and only occasional cramping. today i noticed small clots in the toilet when i used the washroom. i will be going for an us tomorrow.....wondering what's going on
Im one month two weeks but I had 3 missed carrege before and this is my fourth one no children right now im bleeding red but when I wipe also a lil amount on my pad also yesterday I was bleeding brown the doctor said my cerfix was closed that I will be okay but now im worried went to the er they say my blood level is to high its a treat of having missed carege so if youre like me have faith in god go to the hospital whatever happends its not youre fault just wish you could have a baby but dont worrie god will blessedyou:)
You seem to know what your talking about! I have orange spotting cramps dull backache and dizzy ness ... I went to the ER and they sent me home.. I got home and a Wierd vainly (very small) thing was on the toilet paper when I wiped! The morning before I went to the ER a small translucent circle with what looked like vains was on the toilet paper when I went to the bathroom! I don't know what to do because both my blood and urine pregnancy test came back negative!