Maternal & Child Community
Bleeding in early pregnancy (4 weeks)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Bleeding in early pregnancy (4 weeks)

Has anyone had bleeding in early pregnancy and continued on to a full-term healthy baby?  I am only 4 weeks pregnant and I have now been bleeding for 9 days.  I started with very light pink bleeding mixed with discharge on days 1-3, which I thought was implantation bleeding.  On days 4-5, it turned to a light red color, and was still light in flow.  On day 6, it turned to dark brown.  On days 7-9 (today) it is a dark red color and a little heavier (I wear a panti-liner).  I had my blood drawn last Wednesday and my progestrone level was good and my Hcg was low but I was very early in the pregnancy. I had my blood drawn again yesterday and should have the results today or tomorrow.  Has anyone gone through something similar to this?  Does this sound like a pending miscarriage?  Has anyone experienced something similar and went on to a healthy pregnancy?  Any feedback is helpful.  Thank you.
To tell u the truth there is no way to tell. You need the results of your blood work to see if ur levels doubled. I did infact bleed with my current pregnancy at around 6 weeks. Bled for a week straight. Now everything is fine. I'm 18 weeks now.
i had a friend that bleed through her intire pregnancy and had a beautiful baby boy, me on the other hand i started out with brown spotting went to light pink w discharge the went to dark red...following that i had severe cramping and back pain sad to say i miscarried, but EVERY pregnancy is different. i hope everything works out great andu have a healthy baby, just try not to worry (easier said than done) and let us know. what was ur hcg level?
My initial Hcg levels was 56 (day 28 since lmp) and my progestrone was 15.8.  My doc said my Hcg levels were low but to be expected since I was so early in my pregnancy.  I'll know more today or tomorrow once I get my Hcg levels back again.  
Your HCG should be around 300 then, and id watch ur progesterone, if it drops anymore i'd ask for suppositories.
yeah i went to get my hcg and progesterone done and i think i was a couple days earlier than 4 weeks. my hcg level was 100 and my progesterone was 12.5. i think she said for hcg anything from 50 to something (cant remember) was normal and for progesterone anything from 11.0 to 40 something was normal for how far along i was. also with a history of 2 miscarriages she went on to tell me that she didnt think that i needed to retest them until i go back for my first u/s on thursday. i could for a piece of mind. she also said that 98% was in my favor, that m/c i had was just a fluke and she thought everything would be just fine. i hope this gives u a piece of mind!
My Hcg levels went from 56 to 574 in 6 days (I had my blood drawn yesterday).  I am still bleeding bright red and it has slowly increased in amount.  I'm so confused and concerned about what is going on.  Has anyone bled since finding out they were pregnant (I'm 4 weeks, 5 days) where the bleeding slowly increases?
I just found out on monday that im 5 weeks and its my first pregnancy and the doctor told me if i have any signs of bleeding to go straight to the hospital.
If you bleed, the standard recommendation is to go to bed, and to drink plenty of water, since both things calm the uterus from contractions.  My doctor told me not to waste my time going to the ER, since either the bleeding would resolve with bedrest and hydration, or else a miscarriage was going to happen, and neither of these things is stoppable by a doctor at an ER.  
The only reason my doctor has suggested going to the ER wit bleeding is in case of ectopic.  I bleed with both pregnancies.  The first one for 16 weeks.  This time I bleed at 5 weeks and thought the same thing.  There is nothing they can do, why go?  Then my doctor told me we had to make sure it wasn't ectopic.  In my case I was only born with one tube so its a very important one :)      Anyway I am on my way to my 18th week and so far so good.
Good luck, not all bleeding is bad.  Unfortunately its a wait and see game
For those of you who said you are bleeding while pregnant, is it very light where you don't need a panty liner or is it light/medium where some bleeding goes on the panty liner and bleeding while urinating (sorry if this is tmi!!).  I'm so worried since it is increasing but the numbers seem promising.  I also have no cramps or clots.
I started bleeding when I was pregnant at 5w3d. It was worse then a period, bright red and it didn't stop completely until I was at least 10 weeks. I remember that some days I would bleed worse then others. During pregnancy bleeding is just a waiting game. Either it will end in miscarriage or it will resolve itself. I would ask your doctor to schedule an ultrasound to see if you have a subchorionic hematoma (bleeding behind the sac). Its actually pretty common in pregnancy and is a lot of the times for early bleeding without a miscarriage.
Did you end up continuing on with a healthy pregnancy?  Did you have a subchorionic hematoma?  I do have an ultrasound scheduled in two weeks.  I will be almost 7 weeks pregnant then.
Yes I did have a subchorionic hematoma (which they can only diagnose by ultrasound) and I ended up delivering a healthy baby girl at term. The bleeding usually resolves itself by or before the 20th week and most of the time it doesn't result in miscarriage. 7 weeks is actually a really good time to go in for an ultrasound since then you should/might be able to see a heartbeat. I know that if you go too early they might not see much of anything and worry you for no reason.
If you are on a 28 day cycle, then you are probably 14dpo.  I started spotting on 16dpo and at 17dpo, my hcg was only 93 and at 20dpo it was 462.  If yours is doubling it will be higher than my was at that time.  My dr told me they like to see it around 100 at 14dpo, so yours really isn't too far off at all. I would guess you are bleeding because of the low progesterone.  They can give you progesterone suppositories to help with that.  I'm on them now and was with my son.  

hope this helps and best of luck.  
My Hcg did double....it went from 56 to 574 in 5 days so that number looked good.  They tested my progesterone a week ago and since the number was good, my dr. didn't test it again.  I only had my Hcg levels checked the second time.  Should I ask for another Hcg test as well as a progesterone test since my bleeding continues to increase every few days?  I just don't understand why I'm bleeding more, but I have no cramps.  The bleeding is not like my period (yet), but it's been 10 days now of bleeding (light to medium over the course).  I go in for an ultrasound in two weeks.  Since I'm so early in my pregnancy (5 weeks tomorrow), we have to wait until I'm closer to 7 weeks to see anything on an ultrasound.
To tell u the truth u can ask for another blood work. I dont know if they will keep doing them. Only thing to really do is wait as hard as that sounds. If u went for a scan now you are likely to be very disappointed cause there wont be much there. Bleeding is very common. They say to go to the ER if u are filling up more than a pad a hr or cramping severely. If u need people to talk to here is a good place. Loads of people on here have bled in the beginning of pregnancy.
I ditto AnnieBrooke's post above about drinking lots of water.  For me, dehydration (only at night) has been horrible and i have woke up spotting (light pink) in the morning for the last 3 days.

I'm gonna start trying to drink some pedialyte throughout the night and see if it helps.
So, I am new to this type of site.  Where do I go on the website to read other posts similar to mine?  

I started drinking lots of water last night and I will continue to do that from here on out.  The only bad side of drinking lots of water is having to go to the bathroom, which is mostly when I bleed.  But, I know the water will help.  Since there are no answers and it's a wait and see game, it's great to hear stories like mine.  Thanks for all of your support!
In the top right corner, of Medhelp (scroll up) there is a search box.

Of course you could also go to google . com and type in bleeding in early pregnancy.

Good Luck
they can give you a vaginal u/s as early as 5wk2 or when you hcg is 1500 to 2000.  
I started bleeding at 5 weeks and continued till about 10 weeks due to a hematoma (subchorionic blood clot).  I delivered my girl at 40 weeks 1 day without any complications.  Early bleeding is very common.  I hope you and your little one are doing well.

I bled during all three of my pregnancies.

I lost my first pregnancy.  No progesterone was taken. (miscarriage bleeding)

I lost my second pregnancy.  Progesterone was taken. (implantation bleeding)

My third pregnancy, I did not take progesterone.  Had prolonged bleeding (implantation bleeding).  Fully expected to lose this one as well.  Ben is now 7 months old.  I will be 40 in 3 months.

I hope everything works out for you.  If you do lose your pregnancy, please do not give up hope if you want a baby.  Just keep trying.  I thought for certain I would never have one.  I was wrong.  
I know now for me that bleeding is not an indicator that I will lose my pregnancies.  In fact, if I get pregnant again, I will be surprised if I don't bleed.

Thank you to everyone who has posted.  I had more blood drawn yesterday so I should get my Hcg results by tonight.  I've done a lot of research on what many of you had referred to as a subchorionic hematona.  It sounds very similar to what I am experiencing in regards to my bleeding.  I'll know more when I get my results back.  I'm only 5wks1day so I still am sooo early and this could be leading to a miscarriage. It's so scary.  When I begin to accept the bleeding, it changes so I never know what is "normal" for my body yet.  Since I found out I was pregnant so early (3wks5days), these past 12 days have felt like forever!  
My Hcg levels went down so I did end up miscarrying.  It was God's way of saying it wasn't meant to be.  Thank you everyone for your support!  
ohh im soooo sorry that u had to go through that. ive had to miscarriages and i found the miscarriage community on here and there are some amazing women that are very inspirational! If u decided to join i hope u find some comfort..they helped me alot! i will be praying for u.
Hey girls I'm 21 and pregnant with my first baby I've been bleeding on and off for 3 weeks before I found out I was pregnant I'm about 4 weeks in it started brown but went to red now I'm rather heavy with some light cramping my HCG levels were low but seem to be going up I've got to have blood taken today but the bleeding has gotta a little more I'm really worried I'm having a mc... Has any one else had this happen and not had an mc?
Hi im hoping someone could help me.. im 5 weeks pregnant and Tuesday I had a brownish colour on my underwear and Wednesday I had blood but only when I wiped after I pee. Yesterday was abit more like a period but very light and not enough to saturate my pads again only when I pass wee and wipe I was only getting a slight cramp like I have my period but not as bad as I would normally would. I had my blood test yesterday morning to find if my  hormones are rising. Im hoping and praying to god that my hormones are not reducing.  Is this normal early on the pregnancy? I hope someone in a similar situation could help me as im so worried thank you .. maz