Maternal & Child Community
Bleeding (lochia) after c-section and first period / Also use as an op...
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Bleeding (lochia) after c-section and first period / Also use as an open forum

This may sound stupid but Ive read so much stuff about lochia but really nothing about your first period.  Sorry if TMI, I just need some answers.
My son was born 11/3 via c-section.  I was wondering how long bleeding (lochia) normally lasts.  Ive read that around day 10 that it sould be yellowish or white discharge.  Which I had but now its more red.  Its not alot of bleeding, just a little.  I was wondering if this is normal or is it my period?  If not typically how long does it take to get your period back?
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I continued to bleed some for 2 weeks after my c-section.  I also breastfed my baby, so I didn't get my period for another 10 months.  I was put on the birth control pill that you can take while breastfeeding and that made me not have a period until I was done BF and started a regular pill.  I have heard that if you don't BF, you can expect your period around 6-8 weeks after birth, but I'm sure it is different for everyone.
Blank
Thanks so much. Im bottle feeding and all I read is about breastfeeding so I wasnt really sure. Thanks again!!!
Blank
i had a csection on 10/23 and still have on again, off again bleeding.  like the previous poster said, sometimes when you try to do a lot you can increase the bleeding.  i know i have even spent some recent days in bed because i did too much the day before and the bleeding started back up.  my dr. said to plan on have the bleeding until maybe 6wks.  somedays it's darker than others.  i know it's not af because i am bf and this is baby #3 (i am pretty aware of my body).  i usually don't get af until about month 6 or 7, and that's without any birth control.  but everyone is different.
i go to church with a girl who's children are barely 10 months apart.  she became pregnant 2 wks of giving birth to her first child.  she did it even though everyone told her it was not smart.  luckily by the grace of god her babies were born healthy, yes, she had twins.  now she's pregnant again and the twins are just a couple months old.
Blank
130384_tn?1221596627
I'm not sure how it c-section versus a vaginal delivery affects the bleeding, but I bled for 6 weeks after DS.  It would taper off but then start back up again.  

If you're seeing tapering and then heavier bleeding you might be trying to be too active, too soon.  That's what happened with me, I was trying to do too much and I'd start bleeding heavier again.  Take it easy and rest all you can.
Blank
I bled for about six weeks and then spotted about two more. I had my DD vaginally on 9/12
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...