Maternal & Child Community
Blighted ovum question......do you get sudden cramping.....please read

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am 5 weeks 6 days pregnant and just over a week ago I started having slight twinges in my stomach which came and went..left side , when I went to the doctor they were concerned that it could be an ectopic, last week they saw the birth sac so this is no longer a concern but now I'm concerned that maybe I  have a blighted ovum as this quite commen, So if there are any ladies out there have had this please tell me about the pain/cramping you had and if it was sudden or it came over a period of time and how severe it was and if you started bleeding /spotting straight away.

Thanks loads, I don't get any straight answers from my doctor so I really appreciate this.
I think at this point, you're worrying yourself for no reason. With my blighted ovum, I had 0 symptoms. No cramping, no bleeding, and no spotting. It was discovered at 12 weeks during my first routine u/s.
My symptoms were exactly the same as the ladys comment before me.I had no idea that anything was wrong until at 13wks i had a pea sized amount of blood that i noticed in my knickers,phoned the drs who sent me for a scan the next day which showed me the horrible results that i had a blighted ovum which had stopped growing at about 10wks.I had no pain no camping or even any bleeding up to the point that i noticed that tiny amount.I had to have a dnc as my body hadnt realised i has miscarried,so having a blighted ovum is very decieving for your body as you still think you are pregnant even though no fetus actually forms.Hope things do work out for you fingers crossedxx
I had brown spotting, they did an us and couldn't see much of anything (I was 8.5 weeks) a few days later I had severe cramps and heavy bleeding.  Never passed any tissue.
I had cramping, but felt the same as my other pregnancy that went fine.  Mine was discovered at 11 weeks in an u/s.  I was spotting for 5 days and started to bleed a little so they got me in a little early and that's when they discovered it.  Cramping etc. is pretty common in pregnancy I did it with this one too and am 30 weeks today and all is well.  Try to relax and not think about it too much, it's still pretty early to see anything so maybe you can go back in another week or so.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, good luck.
I am scared that i may also have a blighted ovum. My doctor did the u/s and she believes that she saw a embryo inside of the uterus but shes not sure so shes sending me to another place to get a thorough u/s to be sure. i am only between 6-8 pg so I dont know but i am a bit worried
I had blighted ovum back in december : ( Two days before i started to bleed I had alot of lower back pain and cramping.  Then the day before it was confirmed I just didnt feel good all day. But if I were you I would try and relax, im in my tenth week of this preg and had mild cramping in the beggining and everything is going great, great us great heart beat so on and so on.  Hopefully your next ultra sound will put your mind at ease.  I wish you the best of luck and lots of sticky baby dust**
I had a blighted ovum in July. I was 12 weeks when I went for a regular u/s. I had severe cramping during 6th & 7th weeks. It was about 2-3 times a day that I got these cramps. However I had no bleeding at all. No other signs of miscarragie. It seemed like a perfectly normal pregnancy. Had also been through nausea by the time it was realised that it was blighted ovum. I was shattered when they scanned me and said 'I cant see the baby'. Worst day of my life! I went through a D & C. I had told the whole world I was preg and it ws really difficult to tlk abt wht happened with everyone.The doctor did not recommend any u/s until week 12. So it was too late and after I had the D&C i had strange symptoms... breasts hardened, milk was oozing out, swollen armpit nodes, and extremely painful.. No one should ever go through that.

I thnk I am expecting again now.. just waited 2 cycles after my d&c. I am almost 5 weeks now. But I still have my fingers crossed! Hopefully eveyrthing goes fine this time. I am not as excited as I was in my first one.. but a lot tensed. just praying every moment.

Will come back to post hopefully with good news soon!