Maternal & Child Community
Blood Clot behind the placenta

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Blood Clot behind the placenta

I went to the dr. yesterday for a sono and check up and all went well- I am measuring 7 weeks just as I had thought.  The dr. mentioned a small blood clot behind the placenta.  He said that some dr's will put their patients on bedrest but he sees that it doesn't help either way.  He seemed unconcerned about the clot but said it will be monitored.  Has anyone has this kind of experience?  I am also taking a baby asprin b/c I have a very mild form of thrombophilia.
Thanks in advance!
there was a lady on here that had a clot and she had some bleeding but her and the baby were fine.  best of luck!
I am also 7 weeks and had an US yesterday and was told I had a hematoma. It is like a blood clot/bruise caused by implantation. I actually posted to see if anyone has heard of this.  The dr. did not seem very concerned.  I am praying for both of us.
I actually went to the docs today and was told I have some blood behind the placenta. I saw in on the U/S. She isnt too worried about it at all, just told me to take it easy. Dont be on my feet for long periods of time, no pushing, pulling, lifting....all that fun stuff. She also said no sex. I dont know if yours told you that or not. Best of luck to you
I, too, just went in 2 days ago for an ultrasound.  I bled quite a bit 3 days ago and was concerned.  Upon seeing a healthy fetus with a heartbeat, they also found a very small blood clot.  My doctor told me "You have everything to gain and nothing to loose by going on bedrest."  

He did say that there is no medical study that validates the efficacy of bed rest, but in my case, I'm doing it until next week when I will have another ultrasound and determine the size of the clot.
ahhh, no sex?  wouldnt that be a relief!  ha!  I have a dr. appt tomorrow so Ill check with the specifics then.  Seems like the blood clot thing is more common than I thought and Im relieved to find your dr's are not that concerned either.
thanks!!
Sorry I can't help with your question but wanted you to know I was thinking of you and your baby.   Good luck!
Did you guys get checked for UTI's. I had one and a blood clot. Anyway, my dr told me bed rest and I did not listen because I had 3 days left of a nursing intern and I was stupid and after seeing a healthy sac and heartbeat at 6wks I m/c this week. I do not know what caused it. The nurse said it was not my lack of bed rest but if I had it to do again my feet would not touch the floor. Best of Luck.
Hey ladies.. I am Deeply deeply praying for any one who has this condition, I went in for some cramping and a little spotting, and was told there was a blood collection behind the Placenta, and it would either correct itself, or I would miscarry, I was 9 weeks 5 days at the time.. I seen the baby, movin around, legs, arms, everything, Hearbteat was great.. Cervix was closed.. The next day I lost my baby.. I started (T M I) Gushing blood, it was the blood excaping, I went back and got monitored, the baby was still alive, heartbeat, movin around, the collection of blood was getting larger and I was hemmhoraging? (I cant spell) then My cervix was wide open about 7 hrs later, baby was still there, but in distress, half hour later they checked again, and the heartbeat had stopped..  =( Its only been 5 days so Im extremely devastated and shocked still... So I pray that your pregnancies work out, Stay monitored!!! Make sure they do alot of u/s..
I just realized how old this post was ..
I to went through something similar to you.  I went in for my 12 week NT scan and everything looked great, I saw the baby moving around and the heart beat was strong everything was normal.  I went back to the doctors four days later for a pap and heartbeat check with my OB and found out the baby had died.  The was a large blood clot behind the placenta.  I never had any bleeding or any other indication that something had gone terribly wrong.  

On the second hand while I was pregnant with my 14 month old I had a small clot behind my placenta that resolved it's self and I went on to deliver a healthy 8lb 6.2oz baby boy so there are happy endings out there.    
I went to the doctor last week and after the u/s she said your baby looks great, but there is a blood clot and it can cause a m/c. I am devastated. I have another u/s this Wednesday, but I am so nervous...I have no bleeding/spotting, just cramping, and bit of pain in my uterus/belly button area.  She told me that after seeing the h/b there is 1-5% chance of m/c. This is our first baby and we waited so long. Hope all goes well, and wish all of you best of luck.
I too, have a blood clot. It is about 1/2 " I am 20 weeks and am very nervous. I have been bleeding off and on for about 3 weeks now. Baby looks OK, but Dr says after 24 weeks I won't be at risk for m/c. I wait and pray....
I also started bleeding when I was 9w4days. I got very scared and went for an ultrasound. A hematoma about 2" was detected, but baby was fine. I was prescribed moderate bedrest for 2 weeks (no sex, either). Things were looking good (just some dark spotting) by the end of the sencond week, when i started bleeding again, heavier than the 1st time. Went to an ER, had another u/s and the same thing was said. The baby was fine, but there was a blood clot that would need to be absorbed by my body. The risk is that is gets bigger and interferes with the placenta attachment. I bled heavily for 3 days and then ligher for another week. I'm still in bed rest (it's been 3 weeks now). I have another u/s scheduled for the end of the week, but I still bleed more than just spotting. I've read many comments during this time from other moms-to-be with the same issue. The only conclusion you can get to is that there is no one simple solution or one common ending for this story. You will see women who bled from the beggining to the end of their pregnancy and still delivered healthy babies, women whose clot disapeared in 2 weeks, or 2 months, women who lost their babies right after they started bleding, or carried on for a while and then lost them. The only thing you can do is rest (I know, there's no proof on that either, but I believe the body has more chances when it can "focus" in one problem at a time....), and pray that you will be able to carry on the pregnancy. I know it's very frustrating not having control over this, but this in one of God's will..... He's the only wone who can decide on your baby. Good luck to all of us!
i had bad bleeding at 7 wks and had booked a scan before that started,i went along a week later as i wos sure id miscarried and wanted to know if id need a dnc.and they found a heartbeat ! i bled for the next 6 wks and every day i thought thats it ive lost it! my son wos born 10 pounds and healthly ! he is 5 now !
Thanks for sharing your successful story. It gives us lots of hope that we, too, will carry on to deliver healthy babies. Congratulations on your boy!!
Thank you for all sharing your stories, I went to the dr last month and he found a very small clot behind the placenta he said it would more than likely correct itself and go away he was not worried at all, but the worry wart I am we are doing another u/s Friday just to make sure it has gone away. Yall pray for me and my baby.
Hi, I have a small clot bahind the placenta. I am 7wks and I will prey for you and for myself
I will pray for your babies...I would at least do pelvic rest though.  No sex...no heavy lifting.  Are you guys bleeding?  I bled from weeks 16-23 (the only reason it stopped at 23 is because they had to take out my lil peanut or I would have died..I had to have a blood transfusion the day before). I'm pretty sure mine was a very rare situation...but just pay attention to your body..you know it better than your dr's.  If you start bleeding heavily (mine was really bad...and i was passing hugeee clots)...keep pushing for your drs to watch you closely.  Good luck!!  ...and my perinatologist actually told me at the beginning that a complete abruption was really rare.
We went to the Doctor and they did antoher ultra sound and everything is good. The clot is smaller and my doc is not worried about it. He said he would keep a regular check on it for my peace of mind. I feel the baby move all the time and that is comforting.
I' am almost 12 weeks along with my 5th baby, I have never had any problems before with my other kids.   I went to the doctor today and she said that I also have a blood clot behind the placenta, that there is a slight chance of losing the baby.  But there is a good chance that I will go full term, the baby looks good and is developing like normal.  I just have to take it easy as well, which is going to be hard with 4 children 2 of which are 3 and under.  I just hope everything is going to be okay.  I hope every thing goes really good for everyone who is have in any cause for concern,  Good Luck to Everyone.
I know this is an old post but I am 22 weeks and 1 day pregnant and went for my ultrasound today. This is also my 5th child. The doctor told me there was a 3 cm (I think cm) dark spot on my placenta that was getting no blood flow and it may be a blood clot. Because they don't have 3D ultrasound machines they scheduled me to see a specialist first thing tomorrow morning and told me I will continuously be monitored and will continue to see a specialist throughout my pregnancy until it goes away or I have the baby. I have not been bleeding but I have been cramping and having stomach pains. They also said that if this were my first pregnancy they would be extremely concerned. Since this is my fifth pregnancy it could be just that my placenta has implanted on a spot that was previously used during my other four pregnancies and the placenta usually does not do that, preferring a new spot every time. They never said I could lose my baby but I knew something was wrong when the ultrasound tech started asking me questions like 'have you had any spotting or cramping' while she was taking the pictures. After having four children I knew it was just unusal for a u/t to do that. I will keep all of you going through similar situations in my prayers. Please keep me in yours.
I just come across this post & thought I would share my story.  I'm 9w 4d pregnant and on Dec. 1 I woke up bleeding extremely bad, it only lasted that day.  This is my second pregnancy with my first one ending in a miscarriage back in Sept.  On Dec. 1 they noticed that I had a blood clot behind the placenta.  My doctor told me it would either go away on its on or I would have another miscarriage.  I have been on bed rest since then and I just had another doctor appt today.  the clot has gotten bigger and I'm still on bed rest. The baby is growing fine, healthy with a hb of 174, the doctors seem kind of worried about my clot, so I just have to take it one day at a time.  i'm extremely worried bc my first pregnancy ended in miscarriage so I'm hoping & praying every day for me and for other's who have to go through this.  i go back to the doctor in another 2 weeks, so I'm hoping for some more good news!!  Good luck to everyone else who has to deal with this, I know it ***** first hand!
im 13 wks and 6 days pregnant and told me i had a blood clot the size of a football on my placenta and they put me on bed rest. now im bledding and they said its normal how i dont know but its not effectin my baby at all. so good luck to u sweet heart.
I just got back from my doctor's appt. today and was told I too have an unexplained blood clot around my placenta.  I am 10 weeks today and he drew some blood to see if my levels were going up and I have a scheduled ultrasound (my third now) for tomorrow.  This will be my third child and I am worried and scared because I have never experienced this in my other two births. He also mentioned taking it easy, which I have a difficult time doing as I am a teacher.  I hope all is well tomorrow:) Good luck with your preganancy too! I continue to be positive.
i went to see my dr yesterday because i was experiencing some spotting.  i was 10 wks 5 days.  i had an ultrasound at 7 wks 1 day and everything was fine.  good heartbeat and everything.  my dr sent me in for an ultrasound yesterday and i had lost the baby over two weeks ago. when i was talking to my dr after i found out she told me that i had a blood clot behind my placenta in my first u/s that i was never told about. my question is why my dr would with hold that kind of information since it obviously caused me to miscarry a week later.
i went in  because i started bleeding i was 13 weeks and 5 days along i had 3 prior m/c so i was scared... baby still had heart beat and i was put on bed res. went in for usound and they said i had a blood clot behind the placenta and it was tearing away from me.. baby still had a heart beat and i got to see him moving around. went home continued to bleed for a week  and lost him ... i wish i knew whyt this happened and all i want is my baby back..will thid happen to me every time and is there anything i can do to be able to have a baby??? without losing him or her
My daughter started spotting during her 16th week last November, and a sonogram showed that there was a blood clot in the placenta (the placenta was at the bottom of the uterus, unfortunately).  The doctor put her on bed rest for a week, after which she had another sonogram to make sure everything was O.K.  The blood clot had shrank, and the spotting had stopped, so she went back to work.  Less than two weeks later, she was rushed to the emergency room with severe hemorage and she lost the baby on December 2.  I still feel as if it was all a nightmare and that I am going to wake up and everything is going to be O.K., but it is not going to happen.  This was my daughter's first pregnancy (she is 38), and she is inconsolable, because she feels that there is not much time left to keep trying to have a baby.  I am desperately looking for any sign of hope, so if there is anyone out there who had a similar experience to my daugther's and who had a happy ending with a successful pregnancy, please let me know.  Were you able to get a diagnosis on what caused it?  Did you do anything different with the next pregnancy?  Did you have the same problem the second time but were able to carry the baby to full term?
Please share your experience with us!
I know how all you feel I lost my daughter at 18wks due to blood clot she lived foe 1hour and 36 mins and she was my world. After she past my doctor checked my tyroids and i have hyperthriodism which after I found out causes blood clots and m/c during pregnancy. If I was you I would go get your thriods checked out. I lost my daughter sept.3 2010 got pg nov ending m/c two weeks later got pg in dec m/c a week later now have decided to kill off my throids next week in hope to have a health pg starting in march
I was 7 Weeks pregnant and i started bleeding went to the ER after they done a ultrasound  they told me that I had miscarried told me better luck next time and sent me on my way (awful i know) so the next day i followed up with my OB and he put me on bed rest and 4 days later he done a ultrasound found the baby but told me the yoke was alot bigger than what it should be that more than likely i lost a twin i started bleeding again a week ago woke up in the middle of the night covered went straight to ER and again they told me no big deal some women bleed during pregnacy, once again went back to OB and the  baby is healthy but they found a Clot on the placenta and thats what caused the bleeding! so i have been trough alot of ups and downs 18 weeks now
GOD is the giver of life,put all your trust in GOD and all shall be well. One thing my auntie told me when I told her that I had a collection behind the placenta, she said do not rely on the doctors report but on GOD's report.when I go see the doc I always pray to GOD so he speaks thru them.am now 13 weeks 4days today, and my doc put me on aspirin to thin the clot.my next appt is in two weeks which I pray to GOD that all is well.may GOD help us all thru this time.
i just went threw the same thing i had a tranfusion on april 12th and then on april 14th my labor started again i was 22 weeks and 1 day. and my water had broke on april 12th. i was bleeding bad and they said at that point it was me or him i just feel bad cause i feel like if i could have got another few weeks he would be with us it is hard.
i know this is an old post but, how did your pregnancy go? im in the same boat. first pregnancy and no prior m/c. the blood clot is huge and my doctor said if the baby cant attach and get nutrients i will have a still born. the baby will just stop growing and no longer have a heart beat. im a few days from 12weeks so im freakin out because i have waited so long to become pregnant. my belly is growing and baby has a good heartbeat and his size seems to be growing. i have to get weekly check ups to make sure he still has a heartbeat now. is anyone still dealing with issue like this and what happened? all i can do is pray now and let nature takes its course i guess.