Blood Test done during 4th Month of Pregnancy
Does anyone know what all the standard blood work done at 4 months of pregnancy checks for?  I know it checks for possible signs of Down Syndrome in the baby and I think it may check for Spina Bifeta but I'm not sure what else it checks for.

Thank you.
I'm not sure but I do know that the doctor told me the down's test isn't very accurate. My mom had it done and it said my sister had downe's and the wanted to do an amino and she refused. Emliee is now a healthy 5 year old who will start kindergarten in the fall.
ni
They will do the AFP test- to test for several deseases.  

That was the only test that I had during 20 weeks.
i don't think it's that the blood test for downs is inaccurate it's just that it is only an indicator. kind of like you annual pap is only an indicator it doesn't actually diagnose a problem.
the amnio is the actual test for downs, the blood work is an indicator to see if the test is warranted.
i amy be wrong but that is what i have always beleived maybe if christie comes on later she can explain it better
~nanci
ni
There are lots of people that get false positives with the AFP test.  I believe that they test the level of hormones and if it seems high then they will offer amnio (with other factors included such as age and family history of deseases)  Some people do not even have it done because of the rate of false positives....It takes two weeks for the results to come back.  I dreaded that time period!
When I was preg I opted not to have it done cause it was way too stessful for me. I was gonna be happy with my child no matter what so to me it didn't matter what the test said.
I didnt have any blood work done after the initial screening in the 1st trimester. I am 21 weeks and the doc doesnt have me scheduled for any blood work either. Should I be clueing him in? I did have my U/s done about 3 weeks ago, and they wanted to do amnio at the same time, but i refused. I know that amnio can cause m/c and I dont need any help in that dept!
Nankay's response is accurate regarding the AFP testing. Remember that ANY test you have preformed is strictly optional. As for the AFP test being inaccurate, it's results are dependant upon a lot of factors including pre-existing conditions and EDD's being off by as much as a week. I am having the AFP preformed myself next week.

here is a good link that will explain when and what tests are usually done.

http://www.stronghealth.com/services/womenshealth/maternity/testing.cfm
I thought it would be too late after 16 wks to do an amnio? Maybe I am wrong but that seems a little late to me. As for the AFP, it is supposed to be done between weeks 16 and 18 so you probalby shouldn't worry about it. I am not at risk for anything and so have no clue why my own OB would ask if I wanted the test. But remember her didn't "reccomend" it he just suggested it. I have no idea why your own OB would never mention it.
is afp the same as amnio?