Maternal & Child Community
Blood when I wipe my 3 year old after bm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

The last two times my son went to poop, there was blood on the toilet paper when I wiped him.  There is none in the poop or toilet.  He says nothing hurts.  The blood is bright red and seems fresh.  I looked at his bottom really good, but see no irritation.  I have a call into the nurse. but am really worried.  Has anyone experienced anything similar?  My husband thinks his bottom must just be irritated inside since there are no other symptoms.  What are you thoughts?
was his bm hard or solid (constipation?) sometimes that can cause a little blood. when i was working with 3's, we still helped them wipe as needed, and we did see this pretty often. we always informed the parents, and in every case it turned out to be nothing. still mention it to your pediatrician. when i first saw it, of course i was alarmed and did a little research, so i know there are some medical problems that can cause it. (but like i said, don't panic or worry if you can't talk to your doc asap, as most often, it's nothing).
Sounds like an anal fissure.  It's caused by straining, I've heard it's not unusual for kids to get it.  I've also heard taking mineral oil is used for treatment, but talk to your doc about how much to take.
Also, for what it's worth, if he has eaten watermelon lately, or beets, these can go straight through and look a lot like blood.  
My dd is also 3 and 2 times in the past several month she has had the same thing.  THe 2nd time it happened, it was quite a lot of blood all over the poop.  Luckily, I had her 3 year doc appointment just several days after it so I got to talk to the doctor.  Her movements are usually a little hard and smalll.  He told me that it was most likely a little tear somewhere since it was bright red blood.  They are too young to have colon problems.  He is having me give her Miralax everyday to soften her stools.  He said all it does is add a little water to the stools and it isn't actually a laxative.  It has seemed to help and she hasn't had the problem in over a month.

I know it is very worrisome to see that, but I am sure it is a little anal fissure, especially if he has harder movements.
Thank you for all your comments.  I talked to the nurse line last night too and they said the same the thing.  That is probably an anal fissure.  They told me to let him soak in a sitz bath with baking soda three times a day for 20 minutes.  I don't know when I will find the time for that!  They also said to put hydrocortizone cream on his anus.  I did that last night.  The nurse said that unless the bleeding got worse or didn't clear up with treatment after a few days, it is really nothing to be too concerned about.  He doesn't really have hard stools, but doesn't go as oftern as he should because he is so busy.  Do you have any suggestions as to how to get him to go everyday?