i was told i have two MTHFRmutations, the bloodclotting dissorders.(two copys, as my dr said) so i am guessing one copy from my mother and one from my father. so now when i get preg. i have to take 81mg. of baby asprin a day, projestrone(sp?), and my vitimins. and was told that i could only take two types of birthcontroll, the minipill and the merina(sp?), the bc that goes in your cirvex i believe. but my husband and i just decided to use condoms.
i have 2 sisters (younger than me) one 16, one 10. now my middle sister is having sex, and is on the ring, she knows she isnt ready and she says they use a condom too.(i know that sounds young but i was 15 and married the man that was my first and she is still with the boy she gave herself to and they have been together for almost a year, and they are using protection, back to the subject((i get side tracked very easily)))
*** BUT my question is since i have the bloodclotting dissorder should she get tested too for the same bloodclotting dissorders??? since she is taking a birthcontroll. i am just worried about if she has it too, then the type of birthcontroll she is on can up her chances of a bloodclott.
If I remember my genetics correctly she has a 25% of having 2 of the "MTHFR mutations", a 50% chance of having 1 "MTHFR mutation" (the question is does that result in the disorder or are 2 alleles needed?) and a 25% of not having the mutation at all.
Yes get her tested. I have Factor V Thrombophilia and I was told I have the inherited kind meaning that I got it from one or even both of my parents. I had them get tested after my baby was born.
While I was pregnant I had to inject myself twice a day in the stomach with a blood thinner along with the 81 mg of baby aspirin. Some women get it while they're pregnant and it goes away, others have it for life. Since I am not trying to get pregnant now and I smoke, I cannot go on the pill at all for fear of getting a blood clot.
I also have the homozygous mutation of the MTHFR - but my homocysteine levels are fine. You need to have those levels checked, just because the gene is mutated doesn't mean that it is actually effecting the homocysteine levels which is what can cause the clotting and/or cardiovascular issues. My RE kept me on baby aspirin and increased dosage of folic acid as a precaution even though my homocysteine levels were fine - because neither can really hurt me. I am still taking an extra folic acid and baby aspirin now and am 25 weeks in this pregnancy! I've had 4 mc and this one finally took!
I would highly suggest having your homocysteine levels checked because that is what controls the cardiovascular issues associated with MTHFR. Some doctors now don't even test the MTHFR they just skip right to homocysteine levels instead. I would also say yes to having your sisters checked when the time is right. As for birth control, I didn't get that far with my RE since we were ttc, but I will need to discuss it with them after this baby. But I assume since my homocysteine levels are fine that I won't have any stipulations on kind of bc I use.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.