Maternal & Child Community
Body Odor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Body Odor

My granddaughter whom is 7 years old has a very strong body odor from her arm pits.  She can bathe and two hours later smell really bad.  Is this a warning of another underlying problem or do I just need to change soap brand?  I have even bathed her to make sure the job was done correctly.
Tags: maternal
I would bring her to the doctors. Sometimes it's a sign of other problems but even if it's not the doc might be able to prescribe something.
Suprisingly enough kids hormones kick in sooner than ever!! My 10 year old is the same  she has been wearing deodorant for a year now,  A friend of hers has her period at age 11  ahhh!!!
Im afraid  things are going too fast now a days!!
Did you try an antibacterial soap and let her use deodorant?  I would try that and also ask the dr about it.  Maybe she is going to be the type to develop early.  I had a sister like that but hers was because she was not bathing too often.  Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
My 5 year old has the same issue with body odor. I have considered calling my doctor about it but thought first I would see if there was anything I could find about the issue online...so far not much luck. She starts school next year and kids can be cruel, so I want to figure something out soon. Good luck on your search to help your granddaughter.
You would be smart to check with her pediatrician, bring her to the pedi and be sure it's a day when the odor would be noticeable.  It could be a symptom of something else medical, or maybe even an allergy to certain foods.  Good luck.
My 8 year old son has a strong odor from his armpits - his doctor and our pharmacist both said it is natural.  Part of it has to do with diet and what is used in the shower.  But i was also told do not use deodarant he is to young and they can dry out his skin.  I use desitn powder in the morning and it's not as bad. But he hates smelling like a baby.  I also substitute teach in elemantary school and have realized he is not the only one with the odor problem at a young age.  Does anyone know of a owder that doesn't smell to perfumy, medicated or babyish?
My handsome blue eyed grandson has a strange odor.  He is nine months old now and has had the odor since he was born.  I care for him every Monday.  I soak and wash him with baby wash and he still stinks.

I have not mentioned anything to my son yet.  Anyone with any experience like this.

thank you
i have a problem with my clothes can you please tell me what to use on my clothes {like detergent or something that y'all know} that will keep my clothes smelling good,and fresh all day.Because i do my laundry everytimes but when i go outside and stay even 30 minutes ,my clothes begin to mell like outside they stink,even tho i washed them very good and use detergent ,because of that i don't like to stay outside to long ,also can you tell me what type of lotion or splash can i use that last longer on the body that will keep you smelling good and fresh all day especially on these hot days{please don't tell me to use any perfumes,i don't like perfumes they are too strong} can you recommend me anything that is light but will keep your body smelling fresh and good all day
please if you read  this,try to help ,i am a 19 year old girl and i go to school,so just imagine how i feel ,please help me if anybody knows any method ...
Try the essence of beauty body sprays. They are light, but just enough to keep you smelling nice!
I think I'd call the pediatrician.  My daughter is 6 and has body odor since she was about 3.  About a month ago she noticed that she was getting pubic hair!  OMG!  I took her to the dr and she also has breast buds.  They think she's going through Percocious Puberty and she's seeing an endocrinologist on Oct 3.  She's too young for any of this!  You can google it and see the symtoms (symptoms).
My grandson will be 5 in Jan.08 and has a stank underarm odor even after a few hours of bathing. My daughter-in-law uses deodarent on him . Is that safe? I don't see any rashes
My 11 year old daughter has just hit puberty. I am concerned about the ingredients in anti-perspirant deodorant so have opted for alluminium free roll on type deodorant and body sprays or natural crystal deodorant stones for her. They're not as effective tho,  I do use anti perspirants on myself and have done since puberty...there is always so much to worry about bringing up children.

Ruth xx
He is awfully young tho, has she taken him to see a Dr?
I'm going to tell her to  without sounding like the controling grandmother
I'm sure you'll just sound caring and concerned rather than controlling :)
Ruth xx
My 8 year old son also has body odor.  I found "Spray Mist" a naturally fresh deodorant crystal spray.  It contains purified water, and natural mineral salts.  It works, and has no perfume.  I got mine at Target for $2.99.
6 year old with bad body odor.
She bathes daily and we eat healthy vegetarian diet...

The pediatrician today advised me this was NOT NORMAL, not to use deodorant and bring her in for testing. If it is precocious puberty then it could cause her stunted growth, emotional issues etc.
My advise, call your pediatrician!!!!
Do any of these children take medication of any kind? This can be a side affect from that. (i relize this post is old, but with some newer posts)
If you grandson smells like rotten fish, google the term trimethylaMinuria.