Maternal & Child Community
Born with Gastroschisis will I have problems during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I was born in 1987 with Gastroschisis and I have been thinking about having children but my doctor and mother said that it would be complicated and I would always be in hospital and they would probably have be born by caesarian and it could kill me. This has really worried me so I wanted to know if anyone else was born with Gastroschisis and had a baby? Or if anyone knows what problems I could have.

I also have a very large scar which goes from belly button area to a few inches below chest. I gain a little weight and i got terrible stretch marks that went red and soar. The doctor said it was because of my scar. This also worries me because my tummy would get a lot bigger if i was pregnant.
You might well have problems with pain from scar tissue, and unknown bowel related problems.

The best people to advise you are your gastroenterologist  and your gynecologist.  They should discuss your medical records and conditions, and give you advice as to what a pregnancy might mean to you.

good luck!
I was also born with gastroschisis in 1984 and I also have a very large scar.  My doctor told me that there wasn't any reason why I couldn't get pregnant and that everything should be okay.  But that was really the case!!!  I guess every case is different but for me it took me 5 years to get pregnant after my husband and I got married and I ended up being pregnant in my right tube, due to scar tissue from my gastroschisis surgery.  Then this past year I found out that I was pregnant again and I made it to 11 week and had to have a d and c and I have been trying to get pregnant ever since.  I am not going to give up!  And as long as you have a great doctor and you want a child I wouldn't give up either.  I have the same problem with my scar hurting me and the stretch marks!  But I went from 141 lbs to over 225, but I am loosing weight!  I have had a few other problems with my bowels and things but I consider myself lucky to be here!  If you have any other questions please feel free to ask!
I was born with gastroschisis and I am 11 weeks pregnant. My ob told me I should be able to delivery naturally. I have a large scar about 4-5 inches long and get pain sometimes and stretch marks if I gain even a little weight. I would talk to your gynecologist chances are you'll be fine to have children.Good luck!
I was born with gastroschisis in 1980 and  I also have a large scar that was always called my zipper lol.  I have had 4 kids naturally and am pregnant with my 5th so far no problems.  Hope everything works out for you.
My daughter was also born in 1980 with gastroschisis and is now 25 weeks pregnant with her first. Made me feel better to see your post. Thank you and best wishes on your new pregnancy
I am 26 and have been trying to get pregnant my doctor told me I have one blocked tube and the other is upside down. He said it was caused by my gastroschisis I just need to know if anyone else has that problem