Maternal & Child Community
Bottle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Bottle

My friend had a 5 yr. old daughter who still used her bottle at night, they can't get her off her bottle. Is this healthy?  
I think this is one of those very controversial issues like when to stop breastfeeding, to work or not, ect. Society may have one view, but that does not make it right, or wrong, for everyone.I think it is a very personal decision between parent and child. With that said, MY opinion is that it she is too old to have a bottle. I'm sure that her pediatrician would have said something also. I'm not sure about the physical health risks besides the teeth and that would also depend on what is in the bottle. Is it just water or is it milk or juice? The flip side is the psychological risks if she may have friends or older siblings that may pick on her about it. It also could be a coping mechanism for the child like sucking their thumb or something like that. But like I said, no matter what my opinion may be, it is between parent and child. :)
There are teeth enamel issues if it is milk or juice (not if water), and jaw-alignment issues or at least questions.  Better a bottle than sucking the thumb at 5, but that is not saying much.  I would think it is between parent, child, dentist and pediatrician, not just parent and child.  She may be facing a long time in braces to correct her bite.  
I agree with the first poster it is between the parents and the child. If the bottle is only at night it is not going to mess the alignment of the teeth up. Yes it should be just water in the bottle it can cause cavities but all cases are different. My child was 3 almost 4 before he gave up the paci. His teeth are pefectly straight and no issues. My youngest son threw the paci away and bottle at age 2 and he has crooked teeth and the enamel is wearing away. In my opinion yes it is time to take it away but I don't think anyone is a bad mother mother just because they don't and I don't see that it is really unhealthy for the child.
Thanks for all your comments and I appreciate your opinion.