Maternal & Child Community
Bottle or Breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Bottle or Breast

I have a few months to decide, but I don't know what to do.  My first son was formula fed from day one, I never liked the thought of breastfeeding.  Now I'm older (6 years) and still don't like the idea of it, but logically I know it is best for the baby.  Has anyone else struggled with this?  Any advice pro or con would be appreciated!
You know the ONLY con to breastfeeding is that YOU ARE IT!!!!!  That is the thing I am struggling most with.  I can't seem to do anything because he wants the hoot constantly.  He does not want to take a bottle or a pacifier.  Breastfeeding as frustrating as it is is really the ONLY way to go though.  My DS now 7 mo has NOT had an ear infection yet and when my DH & DD came down with a cold and then a week later me, DH & DD all came down with the stomach flu my son NEVER got it.  Breastfed babies are also more protected against their vaccinations than bottle fed babies.  Breastfed babies have higher IQ's as well.  There are so many reasons why you should breastfeed.  Think about it....Nighttime feedings you open your bra put your baby to your breast compared to stumbling out of bed having to put a bottle together.  You have no bottles to wash it is ALWAYS the right temp.  You have it with you everywhere you go and do not have to worry about running out if your errands take longer and it won't spoil.  You do not have to worry about your baby being allergic either.  They build up antibodies against so many things from breastfeeding.  Poopy diapers do not smell bad and when they spit up breastmilk it is not as bad either.  I could go on forever.  I see a BIG difference in my 2 kids compared to both my sisters 2 kids.  My sisters both formula fed and their kids are WAY behind my daughter.  I am not saying that is the only reason but I think it has something to do with it.  Good Luck on your decision.  Give it a try if you don't like it well at least you tried it.  The best reason of all IT IS FREE!!!!!
I was the same way, really uncomfortable with the idea of my baby sucking my breast but that's something that you just have to overcome, it's easy when you realize you are making the best possible choice for your baby.  If you really are not comfortable look into a breast pump and put it in a bottle for the baby.  The health benefits to the baby when you breastfeed are amazing, increase immunity, bonding...  The problem with bottle feeding is it is usually easier for the baby to eat through a bottle and once you start they may not want the breast anymore.  My little guy was a boob hound, feeding every 2 hours so that made it difficult to get anything else done, however you can't let that bother you when you think of the benefits to the little guy for doing it.
Here is my bottle feeding point of view
Each to their own,
I have to say though I did start to breast feed but not only did I have trouble with babies latching on but with my c-sections I always ended up being on tons of antibotics to heal.
All my children have been formula feed and I would say havent been really sick other than a cold  here and there which most get at some point in their lifetime.
It does give you flexibility to come and go, and for Dad to help with feedings, Yes you have bottles to clean, but thats 10 mins of the day, Some people sterilize (I do) others dont.
Formula has all the vitamins in a baby needs although it isnt cheap. Breast milk  provides some immunization for the baby, I have read though now they are finding women who breast feed should supplement the babies with Vitamin D (Hey girls did you
know that)Breast feeding helps to reduce you back to your pre-pregnancy weight(HEY thats what wrong with me!!  lol..)

It will also depend on baby, some take to the breast Naturally, while others find it harder to latch on,  It does take work
So maybe you will have to wait and see when the baby comes and Maybe it will come naturally for you to that you feel comfortable with breast feeding although if not formula feed babies do fine to
Good Luck
I have a question related to breast feeding.  My friend who had a baby a month ago said to definitely buy an electric breast pump.  I don't want to invest in one unless I know I'll be using it.  I know that I will try to bf when possible, but it would be nice for DH to feed baby too.  SO, I'm just trying to figure out how I plan this.  How do I know how much I'll bf and how much I'll pump??  At what point is it worth it to get an electric one?  Is there a reason why I would exclusively pump?  If I just pump, will it make a difference to my milk production?  Will my boobs be sorer during the day from not being 'fed on' every few hours???  Ah, so many wonderful questions.....
Most babies feed on demand, breast feed infants usually want to eat more often than formula feed. At first a feeding may only be a ounce or two then gradually more.
Pumping and putting into a bottle lets Dad help with feedings also it would show you how much your baby is taking in.
Depending on the price of a pump, Some places let you rent them incase you dont want to purchase one that might be an option to look at.
If you are feeding with a bottle you can see how much the baby is taking in... Unlike breast feeding
Im for both,,its up to the individual and baby to decide whats best for them
breastfeeding can be very convenient...and frustrating.  
the first month is the worst....because they recomend that you exclusivly(sp?) breast feed on demand with no pumping to establish your milk supply....and yes it seems like they are latched on 24/7 for that first month.  but you know it sure is nice to just be able to grab a diaper and some wipes and run out the door and not worry about food for the baby.  it is always with you and always perfectly mixed and warmed to the perfect temp.  
another + is that when you do pump... fresh breast milk can sit out at room temp for up to 10 hours!!  once formula is turned into liquid it is only supposed to sit out for 1 hour!
you can also freeze breast milk (lots of rules on that that i won't go into) but that is nice so that if you and hubby want to have mom and dad time baby can go to grandma's and you just send frozen boobcicles with them.
i know my friends dd will not take a bottle from her...but she will take one from dad...remember they do know the differance and if they like to nurse they are not going to take a bottle from the milk machine that is just silly.
but it is a very personal choice and like my mom said no child has ever grown a second head because they were bottle fed!
good luck
~nanci
I was dead set on breastfeeding my daughter (now 21 months), and she wanted no part of it. It got to the point that in order for her to be released from hospital, she had to be supplemented to put back on the weight she had lost. She was 6,9 and dropped to 5,10.
By the time we got home, breastfeeding was still a nightmare, and by about a week in, I had gone exclusively to the bottle.
There are some benefits to bottle-feeding, too, the most significant being that others can lend a hand. Particularly if you are returning to work early, this can be a life and sanity saver.
Although I do not disagree with all the research that shows that breast-fed babies are less likely to have allergies, ear infections, etc, I am not convinced that some of those benefits don't come from formula as well. My dd has had one cold in 21 months. Bear in mind that most of our generation was raised on formulas, and we are no worse for the wear.
However, there are still lots of benefits of breastfeeding, and you may surprise yourself with how you feel about it. I have a close friend who was grossed out by the thought of breastfeeding, and then successfully breastfed her baby for about a month (this was someone who swore she could not even try).
What I would say is be flexible and gentle with yourself. You may try and both love it, or you may find it a flop. Don't be hard on yourself if it doesn't pan out, and have some BOTTLES AND FORMULA at home in case! You're not dooming yourself to failure by being prepared!
I am due with #2 in July, and have not made up my mind either. I don't want to assume that this baby won't want to breastfeed, but I am going to be better prepared this time around.

Someone asked about buying an electric pump-I think it was cajun. I wouldn't buy a pump until you see how much you will need one. They can be rented at most drugstores for about $50 for a week. You just buy the kit that goes with it.  If it turns out you need to pump frequently, then you could always look at buying one then.  If you find you need to pump as soon as you are home from the hospital, send hubby or a friend out to get what you need. Most hospitals have lactation consultants, too, who will write down what you need and where to get it.

Hope my 2 cents worth helped!
Yes most hospitals now encourage breastfeeding,
So unless you stated that you wanted to bottle feed Im sure they would help you with breast feeding issues.
I think they do say some babies get nipple confusion, and for the first while try to use the breast exclusively.

This is going to sound judgemental, but if you CAN breastfeed, you should. It's the healthiest and most unselfish gift you can give the baby.
I am hoping to be able to breastfeed exclusively, but then I've never done it and I am aware that sometimes it just doesn't work out the way you want it to.  My question is, do I make sure that the hospital is aware of my decision to breast feed and ask that they don't give my baby a pacifier?  I've read that at least for the first few months you shouldn't give the baby a pacifier due to nipple confusion.  Is this true?  I thought that some of the nipples out there are made  for breast fed babies, is it ok to use them?  I just know that they can comfort babies.  In the nursery we'd use them after starting IV's and drawing blood (I was an IV nurse), but then there were also babies with notes attached to the bassinets that said no pacifiers. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.  ~Tricia
Breast feeding or bottle feeding is a choice, I wouldnt say it was selfish or unselfish, I think being a mother and a good one, is the most unselfish task!!!!!
nanakay is always right!!
my son did OK with pacifier and breast  (i never heard that about confusion)   but it was so long ago I don't remember when we started him on pacifier. - my sanity demanded it though!
I do believe breast feeding is best, Im just saying sometimes for various reasons it doesnt work.
Women SHOULD NOT BE MADE TO FEEL GUILTY about it
BOTTLE FEED OR BREAST FEED mothers do not love their children any more or less than anyone else
My son was breastfed and he had an ear infection a month for the entire second year of his life, until he got tubes. After about 4 months i supplemented with formula, but he was a boob-monster till about a year.
Also, as for the pump... I bought one and the bittle bug would not take breast milk from a bottle. I ended up throwing away the milk every time I pumped. He would drink formula from a bottle, but breast milk only from the breast.  Hmmm... must be neurotic like his mom. Ha.Ha.
I am very pro breastfeeding, it is very rare to actually have significant issues that prevent breastfeeding. It is very demanding, it requires a lot of your attention and it is your responsibility to make sure you are eating well, keeping hydrated and avoiding the wrong foods. But, it is by far the most rewarding experience of my life. I breastfed my first until he was 14 months and have been breastfeeding my baby for almost 11 months now. I am actually kind of sad about weaning him as it has been such a wonderful time for us.

I never wanted to bottle feed my boys, I knew I had the best food for them right inside my own body. No bottles, no man made ****, and they are born to nurse : )

Ultimately it is up to each individual, but for me the only choice was nursing. I love being able to spend that time with my boys. They are only babies for so long, one year is such a small sacrifice. Neither of my boys like bottles (can you blame them,lol) So it has always been up to me to feed them, day or night. But as a mom, I will do all I can to give them the best start : )

Andrea
EVERYTHING has issues
Sometimes breast feeding does not work, depending on circumstances  Mother is sick, some physical factor  such as cleft plate  with baby -cant suck properly (since sucking breast is harder for baby) etc..etc...No  Milk production....
Sure breast feeding is best but it doesnt mean you love your baby any less by formula feeding,Doesnt mean you dont spend time cuddling,snuggling, loving, your baby.
Its a Individual choice!!!
ok on a funny note.
if you breastfeed you will get to see that look on dh's face whenhe is playing with baby and gets a little too close when the baby is hungry and suddenly latches on to any skin they can find.

my son lached on to dh's cheek.
dd tried to lach on to his chest once and once to his bicept...it is so funny when you suddenly hear....AAAHHHH...Hooonnney...I think she's hungry!
~nanci
FYI--My kids are hardly sick compared to my SIL who did breast feed, Her kids are pale, skinny, and usually at every family function they ARE SICK

so that blows that theory out the window!!

ok i'm not upset with that comment, but i will say i don't think that is fair.
breastfeeding is hard and some people just can't do it....and i don't beleive their children will be any dumber for it.
~nanci
Well Im glad thats your opinion only

If you look selfish up in the dictionary it says "lacking consideration for others"  I guess that would be a statement like" bottle feed babies are sicker and dumber"
Or its "selfish to bottle feed" or" arent mature enough for motherhood"
Sorry Cinnamon, I disagree. Excepting the very small majority of women who CAN'T breastfeed, I think women should feel guilty about not breastfeeding. I read an article by a female OB who said that many women believe that breastfeeding will make their babies smarter and healthier---but in reality, NOT breastfeeding makes your baby dumber and sicker in the long run. (SHE says.) I feel strongly that women who aren't mature enough to make the unselfish choice to do what's best for their baby perhaps should rethink motherhood. (OOPS! Gunna make people mad with that one! :))
Pretty harsh, don't you think? Do you think your own Mom or Grandmother were selfish, and shouldn't have had kids?
Really no need for breastfeeding nazis, in my humble opinion.
There are MANY reasons why a woman cannot breastfeed, and I am not the least convinced that I am an unfit mother because I couldn't.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I am glad you were able to do that for your kids, but to suggest that not making the choice to breastfeed qualifies me to rethink motherhood-get off your pedestal.
Apparently this is a controversial issue.  I do plan to breastfeed my little guy when he comes in June.  And, I breastfed my now 8 yo daughter when she was an infant.  However, bf does take a commitment from mom and I did not always find it to be easy.  I think the clear medical research demonstrates that bf is best.  And, sometimes moms try it for even just a short period of time.  My daughter had feeding problems as an infant, so initially, I bought a Medela Pump and put the milk in a special preemie bottle for he.  Eventually, she transitioned to the breast.  It was not easy at first but we did it.  When I went back to work, the pump came with me.  I would encourage any mom to try to bf even if for only a short time, as there are still benefits.

Good luck to all!  Jenni
Cinnamon- I don't get it? How does saying someone else is selfish make ME selfish? That makes no sense. Also- I was quoting the OB regarding what she said about not breastfeeding. So you can call her selfish if you like. I knew people would think what i said is harsh, but I mean, come on! How can mothers justify not breastfeeding for even those important first few months? I guess I don't relate to that way of thinking. I am not a breastfeeding "nazi" but I get frustrated seeing these women who try SO HARD to have a baby, and then once the baby comes, they don't even do what is obviously best and healthiest for them. I also believe that in regards to whether breastfed babies are smarter and healthier--- the statistics show that that is true, but it's not true for EVERYONE and I'm glad when babies are healthy, regardless. Also- my mother breastfed and so did my grandma. So I don't get that comment.
Well if you didnt get it-I guess that could explain a whole lot
The statements the OB made and yourself would be like me saying
Maybe your too cheap to buy formula --or --A baby only needs to be breast feed for immunization purposes until their 6 months so to breast feed any longer (14 months) is for your own pleasure!!!
your mother and grandmother must have been one of the fortunate ones.  a lot of mothers didn't breastfeed back in the day.  as early as 30 years ago they thought that rh- mothers shouldn't breastfeed because they would pass the blood fighting antibodies through their milk....of course we now know that is not true, but it is why my mother never breastfed any of us girls.....and you know what..the only thing us girls are differ in from any other person in the world is that my sister can't roll her tongue into a tube shape...(have you ever seen a baby roll the sides of their tongue around the nipple...it looks weird).

well this is one of those subjects that really will never be finished....however i will say that BF is making a huge comeback.
i remember Kassimom saying she had had someone say something to her about feeding dd in public...my friend was telling me that she actually had an older lady come over and tell her good for her that she was glad to see BFing making a comeback.
~nanci
I have no problem with breast feeding like I have said, Some can some cant I just DONT think my kids or anyone else's who bottle feeds ARE SICKER AND DUMBER
OR WE LOVE THEM LESS.

Thats the part that pissed me off  --Im sure you could tell
Luv ya nanakay for always keeping the peace(or trying to)
thanks-

i understand you!  like i said i think the statement was unfair.

i'm not dumb, and i wasn't breastfed....infact i think i am quite inteligent. (ok i may not be the best speller HA HA)

and no i don't think bottle fed babies are loved any less, nor are their parents any less of parents....breastfeeding is HARD!!!

i am TRYING to make it to 6 months with dd....i only made it 1 month with ds befoe i gave up and went to formula....and ya know what....he's smart anyway! ROFL
lots of love to all mommies
~nanci
If you go back and re read all of the statements you will get the picture!!!!
Im sure If some one slammed your kid as being DUMMER it would certainly **** you off, If not Id think something was wrong.

Nanakay Im glad some one gets it

Like I said it was a metaphor!!

And yes I did try to breast feed, I had a c section which became infected and did not close for 4 months, I had a partial lung colapse also, I was on 4 different antibiotics which after trying to breast feed for a week I was told not to breast feed
My other 2 sections I also got infection and were on  antibitocs to, I am known as a poor healer this is why my incisions never close for a long period of time.

I will apoligize to you,I thought it was carolyn who breast feed for 14 months, and like I said IM NOT AGAINST  as for those SNIPPY comments they were to her for saying bottle feed babies were DUMMER
I was showing her how stupid it sounded - that bottle feed babies were sicker and dumber or mothers who bottle feed should not be mothers or we are selfish that would be like me saying your to cheap to buy formula etc..etc..

Yes my baby is over the 80 percentile for weight to and has reached milestones before his time also and he is bottle fed
that's not what she was saying....at least it isn't how i read it.  
the first post said that if you don't breastfeed you should re-think motherhood.  (which was taken to mean those people that don't breastfeed are bad mothers)

all she was saying is that just because she or anyone chooses not to breastfeed does not make them a bad or selfish mother.  

the quote was actually from a doctor that one of the other posters had heard it from
the response  was saying that..... saying bottle feeding was a selfish act of someone that shouldn't be a mother because of that choice is as obserd as saying that women that breastfeed over a year do it for pleasure (i hope that made sense).....shoot i just got lost in this soap opera.

GOD bless the nursing moms...it is a huge commitment and if the commitment can't be made GOD bless you anyway because i'm sure you love your kids just the same.
~nanci
Regardless who it was who breastfed for 14 months, does that give you any right to make that kind of statement? I have seen a lot of things said on this forum in 2 years, but that by far was one of the most disheartening.

Everyone needs to grow up, rather than snipping at one another. Bottom line, it is up to the mother what they choose, she was simply asking for advice. The list is long and well proven regarding the benefits of breastfeeding. I truly do believe that it is something every one should at least try.

Andrea
To add to the snippy comments, have you breastfed? Have you read the latest literature? The American Academy of Pediatrics suggest breasfeeding for a full year for the optimal benefit to baby. As soon as I tried to wean my son, he got an ear infection. You never wean a baby who is sick, thus why I nursed for an extra 2 months, to get him better.

To say I did for my pleasure is absurd. What kind of pervert are you? Is that how you view women who breastfeed? Seeking some kind of sick pleasure from it? The pleasure I get from breastfeeding is knowing I am doing what is best for my children. I am not pumping them full of man-made ****, despite their best efforts they cannot duplicate what I give my kids through breastfeeding.

It is a huge sacrifice, I am the only one who feeds my son. But you know what? I love having that kind of commitment to my baby. I know when he grows up he will know that I did my best to give him the best start. My kids have never had any issues regarding their health and nursing. They have always been 90th+ percentile for height and weight, hit all of their milestones well before they were supposed to and have a very secure relationship.

The choice is up to the mother, pure and simple. But just state you don't want to nurse, don't give a lame excuse or attack those of us who do. Information on the benefits of nursing are all over the place.

Andrea
Cinnamon- perhaps you should just stop reading this subject because you obviously don't even understand what is going on. What I said about the whole sicker/dumber thing is NOT WHAT I said--- it's what an OB said and I thought it was a controversial and interesting way of looking at things. You sound like a guilt-ridden and bitter woman and I think the conversation should just end here. I am happy that you have healthy and smart kids and I am sure you love your children.
Perhaps you should re read the statements because I did say OB and you have said,You said they should feel guilty, I have NOTHING to feel guilty about!!
My kids are perfect..... Healthy, happy and LOVED
And if you did re read them you would see I did say breastfeeding was best, but sometimes IT JUST DOESNT WORK
Also We all were just mentioning the pros and cons of both bottle and breast feeding until you opened up your mouth
Let's calm down ladies.  I agree with everything that was said except for the pleasure thing Sorry Cin I still love ya.  I nursed my DD for 15 months and it was NOT pleasurable I complained the whole time too LOL!!!!!  I only did it because I read how good it was for the baby.  It was so hard and it is still hard.  I use to be one of those moms after I had DD that you are so selfish if you do not breastfeed but let me tell you after having my son and having to take care of another child OMG I still think breastfeeding is best but hey if you can't do it I don't blame you.  I have wanted to quit many times and still do quite often but I keep sticking it out.  I have to say also that I am starting to wonder if breastfeeding really does help with IQ and sickness.  My DD had about 5 ear infections (only when she was teething) and yes she was smart as a whip, writing her name at 2 yrs old etc. she crawled at 7 months and pulled herself up to stand at 7 months and my DS who is now 7 1/2 mo has had NO ear infections but won't even roll.  He will not crawl or pull himself up so I don't know anymore if I can buy that theory.  Well that is my 2 cents worth.  I will close this subject now.  Take Care
I ONLY said the pleasure thing NOT THAT I THINK WOMEN DO
Just to say how insane comments like Bottle feed mothers shouldnt be mothers was-  I said It because it would be like me saying "women get pleasure .....    I was saying it was stupid.....Her saying that(because she breast feed) would be like me saying the pleasure thing.(because i bottle feed)...STupid,sTUpid.... Not that I meant it was true , It was just a COMPARISION  to her quote.