Maternal & Child Community
Breast Milk Discharge over a year after stopping feedings.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am twenty seven year old mother of four. I breast feed my eighteen month old for the first three month, but had to stop due to infections and not producimg enough milk. I have large breast and normally produce an over abundence of breast milk for each child, weither I breast feed them or not. In fact I normally have to change my breast pad every thirty minutes or so, to prevent leeking, even after breast feeding. My last child Itried a electric breast pump, and extracting the extra milk after each breast feeding. I ended up having to stop my breast feeding. Here is my question though, I am still express small amounts of breast milk 13 months after stopping breast feeding, is this normal? I hadn't been concerned until I noticed a large lump in my right arm pit. Their is no pain with this lump and it is 2.5 to 3 inchs in diamitter. Could this be an infection caused by the remaining breast milk?
I think several people are still capable of expressing milk several months after stopping breastfeeding.  However, I would get that lump checked out by your doctor - could be just a cyst, but definitely I would have it checked.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/breast-lumps/BR00013

you may find this site very helpful - talks about the differences between infections, cysts etc...
There was a thread about this the other day. A bunch of women have had this, including myself. I haven't nursed since April 2005. One woman said seven years. I guess it's pretty normal.
Q: sore boobs this early? any advice...?? - d's mom: 06/27/2006
Here's the other thread.
I extracted milk for over a year after stopping breastfeeding
My dr. said it  is normal especially if you are sexually active, as your partner might be stimulating your milk production if you know what I mean:)
I don't know anything about breastfeeding as I am only ttc for my first.  I do have some medical knowledge however.  There are lymph nodes located under your arms and they are in charge of filtering blood, etc.  When there is an infection they swell (it's why a dr will check your lymph nodes in your neck for swelling when doing a routine exam or for cold/sinus etc).  I'd just get it checked out.  May just be a cyst or something, but no need to worry until you see an md.  Good luck:)
I wouldn't be overly concerned about the liquid from the breasts. I am the one who has an 8 yr old and haven't nursed for 7 years, still get liquid out of both breasts. The lump I'm not so sure about. I'm with the others about getting it checked out by a DR. God bless.
I have wondered the same thing. I quit breastfeeding my son about 18 months ago...and I still leak sometimes. We are TTCing now. Good luck, I hope that lump is nothing.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! for that web site. I have been looking around all day and this was very helpful and very comforting.
You're welcome. :)
Thank you all for calming my nerves, I needed that. I thought maybe it could be a lynthe node, but was worried that it wasn't becuase I thought there wouold be some pain and it is really big. I did come up really suddenly though, so it could be. Anyone know if there is pain with lynth nodes. I have had cyst before and this doesn't seem like one. I could be wrong though. My husband works in the medical feild but even he is stumped...LOL
I also am very appreciative of all this information as I have the same exact problem minus the lump. I have two children and the youngest is 15 mo old. I am still lactating and my mother just scared me into searching the internet as she was persistent it was very irregular to still be producing milk after only 3 mo of breast feeding. Thank you all!!!
I am still lactating small amounts from both breasts and I stopped nursing  a year and a half ago.   I meantioned this to my MD and she seemed concerned and said that it is not normal to continue to lactate after approx. 6 months after you stop nursing.  She sent me for blood work to test my hormones.   I haven't got the results yet, but I will keep you posted.  I have also found out it may interfere with becomming pregnant.  I have no insight on the lump under your arm, but positively thinking it is your lymph nodes.  Either way I would go and get checked by a competent doctor.
Cheers
K.