Maternal & Child Community
Breast milk - Not Pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Breast milk - Not Pregnant

Okay, I have a bit of an issue. I am 15 and almost 16. I'm not sure if I am allowed to be posting here, but I need help so badly and I dont know where else to go.  
Last night while I was bathing, I was squeezing my one breast, the left one I think, and I noticed some white stuff come out. I did the same to the other breast and it also happen. Since then ever time I squeeze my breasts or just my nipples, to be more precise, it happens and not just a tiny bit, quite a lot comes out if I squeeze as if its being sucked on.
As far as I know, I am not pregnant, but I could be. I have been having unprotected sex with someone (I know, this is terrible) but I have gotten off mostly long before he ejaculates. This is something I am very worried about.
I am currently taking medication - Sandoz Sulphide. I have been for almost a month.
Could this be affecting me producing breast milk? Is this a sign of pregnancy? Can I talk to my mom about this with out her thinking I have been having sex?
Please, I really need some help and badly! Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Yes if you have been having unprotected sex then you could be pregnant, are your periods regular now or not? If they have regulated themselves are you due to have a period, or have you had one? If you have missed a period you may well be pregnant and should consider taking a test.
Are your breasts sore along with the white stuff that comes out or not?
I don;t know if the medication you are on would affect your breasts and give discharge, but I think if you are close to your mum it might be best to speak to her, speaking as  a mum I would hate to think my little girl was going through something like this on her own.
If you don't feel you can talk to her do you have an aunt or someone you could talk to?
If the outcome is you arent pregnant you should seriously consider using birth control, the pill combined with condoms. You doesnt sound like you are ready for or want a child and I know I would rather my daughter be safe when having sex than coming home telling me she is pregnant at such a young age.
Good luck whatever! :)

Claire
You need to talk to your mother.  And to be honest, even if she thinks you are having sex already, you are and while at 15 and 16 it's scary to talk to your mom about it, she needs to know you are having sex, especially unprotected sex at that age.

I'm not going to preach to you, but you are smarter than this....you even said so yourself, it's terrible to be having unprotected sex in today's world.

I'm 30 and would never think about that, let alone at 15....

I had some issues at 15 as well, I told my mom who immediately thought I was having sex and she took me to the gynecologist (sp?)...I was not pregnant, never had sex but the issues I was having caused the Dr and my mother to put me on the pill.

I too was scared to go to my mom for fear of what she'd think, but the reality is....she was my mom. Unconditional love.  As a mother now, I only pray that my child comes to me with any physical or emotional problem.  If you can't go to your mother, go to a trusted female teacher or relative.  But I sincerely doubt your mother would be harsh on you, she loves you and may feel very proud that you trusted her with your fears on what is going on with your body.
My daughter is 15 almost 16. I have a really hard time giving you advice because I think the best person to talk to is your mother. If you are sexually active she should know about it. Are you on any form of birth control? If not, that is the best reason to talk to your mother. You could always go to Planned Parenthood and ask for birth control and/or a pregnancy test. Do you have a friend who could drive you there? Producing milk could be a sign of pregnancy but it could also be a sign of other things. It is something you want to get checked out but first you should determine if you're pregnant or not as soon as you can. What about the drug you're taking? Could it harm a developing baby if you are pregnant? I looked up the drug and could not find one with that name. Maybe someone else will have better luck. Regardless, having unprotected sex is a very risky thing to do for more reasons than pregnancy. I know you have been told about STD's also. Please protect yourself and if you can't talk with your mother, maybe another family member will listen and give you good advice or Planned Parenthood can help. Good luck.
An abnormality with the pituitary gland can cause your hormone levels to go wacko and cause you to lactate. Either way, you need to see a doctor.
I agree with all everyone...
You should really talk to your mom...she would want you to turn to her. As hard is it may be...she is the BEST person to talk to. You never know...maybe she had the same problem at your age.
I am 27 and I know how difficult it is to approach your mom...as I was not there too long ago.
Good luck to you and strongly consider your options.
Okay.. I would talk to my mom. But if she, or anyone for that matter knew who I was sleeping with... Well literary both our lives will end... Trust me. But I really do want to talk to her. I am open with my mom, and I spoke to her about my last boyfriend and what not. It is not to much of an issue. But this guy in particular I cannot let her know about. The world will end.
I know I should not be having unprotected sex, and believe me, it IS stopping. It kind of already has. I am saying no now. The stress of this all is way to much for me to be handling right now.
I should be having my period soon.. in about 2 and a half weeks or so. I guess...

You see, some funny white stuff has always been coming out of things around my nipple. But only around it, not the nipple itself. Last night, after a little squeezing, the milk (or whatever it is) came out. This happens now when I squeeze around the nipple, as explained earlier.
Birth control? Him and I have spoken about it, but I cant and don't want to get it without talking to my mom. I don't go out to parties or anything, so I cant use that excuse for getting pregnant. If I asked or brought up the subject of birth control now, she will know for sure who I am sleeping with, since he is basically the only guy I know.
If I were to be pregnant at all.. I would be about only 2 weeks (if even) pregnant. Is it still possible for the white discharge or whatever it is called to come because of this pregnancy?
Any other advice?
By the way, thanks a lot. :)
One thing.. Sorry.
If I were to tell my mom, and not mention being sexually active, and she she decided to take me to the doctor - will the doctor ask if I have been sleeping with anyone?
it could be from your thryoid. i was "lactacing" and not pg and this is what i was told it was.
just read what u put about the white stuff coming out around the nipple when squeezed, i had tht whn i was younger and still get it now, it can be due to a hormonal imballance, i also had milk coming from my nipple when i began having sex (i was 18), like you i was worried, i went to my doctor on my own and he told me it was my hormones. obviously i had done a pg test which came back neg, but they can be wrong so chec with your gp.
Yes, the doctor will ask you if you are sexually active.
If it is coming out around the nipple, i'm sure it's not pregnancy related. I'd tell you mom about it and go to the docs. You don't have to mention that you had sex.unless you are comfortable doing so. Just tell her what you have noticed. Then..when you go to the docs...go into the room by yourself and talk to the doc.
From reading other posts...it seems that this has happened before.
I had white discharge coming out of my nipples growing up...come to think of it. I'm sure it's just hormonal.
You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders. We all make 'not so smart' choices in life....that's how we learn. I hope you really stick to your guns with no longer having unprotected sex.
Gosh...i'm nervous for my dd to grow up....I feel like teens are having sex younger and younger now a days....
A tiny tiny bit has been coming out around the nipple.. ever since i can remember. My mom always told me to just leave it alone. But this other stuff is coming out the nipple. I'm worried.
I think I will first go to the pharmacy some time this week and find out about it. Just inquire. From there I will decide what to do.
It does seem as if (after a little research) my medication has something, or could having something to do with it.
It increases it or something, I dont know. I didnt look it up, I had some help.
So now my best bet would be that it is the cause of that.
I mean... a week and a half to two weeks of being pregnant... Could that really cause the white discharge? Is it long enough.
We looked at the side effects of my meds and it says that it does cause it. So.. yeah..?
When I see my doctor again, do I then mention the white discharge? She will be asking if I have had any side effects or anything like that.
Again, thanks a lot for all of your guys help. :)
Yes-especially if the white discharge is listed as a symptom of the medication you are on, mention it to your doctor. Just be more careful with the unprotected sex. Good luck hun. **hugs**
It seems that most of you had pretty good communication with your mothers while you were growing up, but I wasn't so fortunate.  When I was fifteen and became sexually active my mother would not talk to me about it.  If I did bring it up she would just insult me.  She told me if I was not abstinant I was "disgusting." I hope that this is not your situation and that you can talk to your mom.  Luckily, there are many clinics where you can get help if your mother won't help you out.  If your are alone in the exam room (with out a parent) with your doctor you should be able to speak to your doctor about this.  I remember confiding in my doctor and she did not tell my mom I was sexually active.  Or you could call your doctor's office and find out about other clinics you can go to.  You are internet savvy enough to have found this website.  Look around for other resources in your local area.  
Thanks a lot. :)
I will mention it to the doctor, I guess. But I won't mention that I am sexually active. That is a big no no.
The unprotected sex thing has stopped, and it is going to stay that way. I am usually the responsible one in the relationship telling him no, but when it is in the heat of the moment... Well things happen - that is bad. :P
But thanks a lot.
WELL, I'D GO TO THE DOCTORS ANYWAYS, IT MIGHT BE SOMETHING SERIOUS, MY SISTER HAD SOMEWHAT THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO HER NIPPLES ABOUT 5 MONTHS AGO. THEY TOLD HER IT WAS A DISEASE THAT RARELY ANY WOMEN GET.SO IF I WERE U I'D GET IT CHECKED OUT, AND IT MIGHT BE A LITTLE DIFFICULT ABOUT NOT LETTING UR DOCTOR KNOW THAT U R SEXUALLY ACTIVE AS THEY DO A PHYSICAL FOR THESE TYPE OF THINGS TO FIGURE OUT WHAT IS GOING ON WITH UR BODY.
i have this too..but im a virgin still..not on any meds and i have had this for about 1 year i am almost 16 and i am really scared because somtimes it hurts..like if i havent sqeezed it out in a while?

could this be a syptom (symptom) from PCOS?
If you are NOT pregnant you could have high prolactin levels. Both my mother and I have this. High prolactin levels make it almost impossible for you to be pregnant. Take a couple pregnancy tests, if they are negative go to your dr. and say that your symptoms correlate with high prolactin and ask for a blood test. and MOUSERS...if you are a virgin and this is happening there is a very good chance that your prolactin is elevated. Go to your dr. and mention prolactin and ask for a test.

The reason I say to ASK for the test is because drs typically do not come up with this diagnosis. My mother went to four drs with these symptoms and also infertility before she was tested.
i have the exact same issue as u mousers. the only difference is that i turned 16 a few months ago and ive been having this lactation problem for well over a year. i am also a virgin and am not on any meds. my period has always been irregular but i dont know if that has anything to do with it. oh and my breasts also hurt when i havnt squeezed it out for a while. i tried to research this issue but all thats come up so far is that its rare and i should take a pregnancy test. Do i need to see a doctor?
This started happening to me five years ago around my 21st birthday.  I flipped and went to the doctor and there was a lot of freakout about pituitary tumors and prolactin, but a bloodtest showed that my prolactin levels were normal.  So I ignored it.  It still happens, but I've been fine.  I hope!

You should still get it check out, though.
I just found out that I have this same problem, except my breast are about to kill me. I am 28 and have 3 kids and my tubes tied. My first thought was I am pregnant because I do have some other symptoms. I called my doctor today and the nurse told me to take a test and if it came up negative that I should come in because I could have a growth on my milk gland and this could make me produce milk even though I'm not pregnant. She also said I could be pregnant in my tubes.( tubal pregnancies don't always show up on home pregnancy test because the pregnancy level is lower in ectopic pregnancies.) I took a test and it was negative so I go in next week to see my doctor. I've been looking on the internet and I've learned that a tumor of pituitary gland can also cause breast milk. I'm terrified of what my doctor may find but it's best to get it checked out and make sure that everything is ok. My doctor is going to do a sonogram and blood test to rule out a pregnancy then if its still negative he will do more test to find out why I have breast milk. anyone having these problems should talk to their doctor and make sure it's not anything serious.
I'm 20 and have just noticed this happening to me. I went off the pill because it was making me feel horrible. And only today I noticed this happening to my left breast; but my boyfriend got a pregnancy test for me and it came back negative (although my period IS due soon... hopefully). I'm studying midwifery and had my first crazy shift yesterday and i helped a lady delivery her baby. I'm guessing my problem is a hormonal imbalance as I've been angry, sad, crying, happy all over the place. I've also been very stressed.
If you're producing some kind of 'breast milk' it could just be that you're very stressed out and your hormones are going into overdrive (especially at your age). Because you're stressing about telling your mom and probably telling the guy you're seeing NO! you're mostly feeling very imbalanced.
1) Talk to somebody, some kind of female for advice in person, you could always go to a family planning clinic where there's female doctors or midwives, NONE of them judge (as much as you think they are) they just want to help people.
2) The GUY does not sound very responsible to me, and doesn't sound like the type of guy you'd like to get pregnant to in the first place!!! (I was 15 only 5 years ago and I was with a dropkick like him, but thankfully my MOM knew best and yes he ended up cheating on me, and 5 years later I'm with a guy who was a good friend from school - and now the ex has another girl knocked up!)
3) Try to de-stress and not worry too much about it. Resolve things with your mother (I'm sure she doesn't like him for a good reason) and get rid of the boy (afterall, a guy who doesn't respect contraception is not a guy worth sleeping with).

Hope that helped somewhat!
Much love and luck
B
hie im 32 and after 5 years of giving birth im also leaking through my nipples and got a mamo dun cus my doc said that wusnt normal,come to find out i have breast stones so u should go check urself sweety!!
Hi lulu I was just wondering what the results to your trip to the doctor were?  I am experiencing exactly the same issue and I am so scared to even go to doctor.  I am afraid of bad news.
I have been having the same thing and I'm afriad that I could be pregnant and oral sex can get you pregnant and I had oral sex and I am only 13
I have been having the same problem only oral sex and that can get you pregnant. And i'm only 13
I on the depo short and I did a lil squeezing on one breast and a lil clear or white stuff came out I just want ur opinion b4 I go see if I am for sure
I am 20 years old and mine is the exact opposite that's why I'm kind of alarmed. When I was in the bathroom I squeezed my nipple cos I saw white stuff that I wanted to get rid of, then white liquid came out and the surprising part is that I'm a virgin. so what could be the cause can it be hormonal imbalance? Thanks