Maternal & Child Community
Breast tenderness in early pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Breast tenderness in early pregnancy

Hi.. I am 4 weeks and 2 days today( I know very early) but I have a question... In the TTW I had terrible breast tenderness, but now my breast tenderness is completely gone.They are still slightly swollen and my viens are more visible,but thats it. I know everyone is different and each pregnancy is different but I just want to know if its normal not to have breast tenderness ? Could it be a sign of low HCG levels? Has anyone experienced this also? I have a doctors appointment but not until a few weeks. I had a miscarriage in Oct. and I remember my breast being sooo sore the day of positive HPT. Any help would be appriecated greatly
I would not worry you are right every pg is different.  Mine did not start to get sore until I was almost 12 wks.  I also had m/c in Aug. and 3 previous normal pg my breasts were sore at different times for each one.  Congrats on your pregnancy.
I think it isn't something to worry about.I always get sore breasts in the tww as a sign of pms.I think some ladies get all their pms symptoms during the tww even when they are pregnant and slowly these symptoms fade away.I guess that could be the case with you.
I noticed that my soreness comes and goes.  Lack of soreness can be a lack of progesterone though, so keep any eye out for that.
My breasts are sore about every other day.  Some days I'm sore and can't be touched, some days I don't notice them.  And then some days I can go all day without being sore and then at night they come alive!!  LOL  

Good luck.  i hope that helps.
thanks so much everyone. i guess im just worried because of my previous miscarriage... I am just trying to stay positive and wait it out,thanks again ****baby dust to all****
I had my first appointment at four weeks.  Before that day, I had symptoms (nausea and breast tenderness) and all of a sudden on the day of my appt. I did not.  I was so upset at the appointment because I thought something had happened (I have a history of miscarriages.)  To ease my mind, they ran another HCG.  My HCG had increased exponentially from the prior HCG, probably more than is typical.  About a week and a half later, the symptoms came back with a vengeance.  Now, I am sick constantly, can't eat anything and my breasts are sore all the time.  I understand how you feel.  Most likely, though, your symptoms will be back soon.  Good luck!!!
I just read your comment today.  I have the exact same thing going on as you.  I had a miscarriage in October.  I am now about 5 weeks pregnant.  Yesterday I was extremely sick and had very swollen tender breasts.  This morning I woke up and my breasts were back to normal and I have no nausea.  I was just wondering how you are doing now.  I would love to hear that everyting is still fine with you.  I am still hoping this could be nothing.  The nurse at my ob's office says it does not meant anything, but they cannot see me until Friday.  
Hoping for a response from anybody who has advice to give.
I am having the exact same fears. I am hoping I got pregnant this month, but won't know for another week at least. I remember with my last one (before my m/c) my breasts were very tender and I am not feeling tender breasts at all. I have started feeling really sleepy and a little stopped up and every once in a while I feel a little naseau, but no breast tenderness. It either means I am not pregnant this time around, or I fear I have low HCG again if I am.
pregnancy symptoms have a way of coming on and going off. I have had two girls the oldest is five. I experienced bleeding annd every symptom on and off during pregnancy. This seems to be your first child because you are so worried and excited. Calm down the worst is yet to come with worry trust me. When the child arrives you will have a harder time just some advice. Finally, I had a nine pounder and had a forceps delivery the first time so a little irritation will not hurt. Sometimes we as women become a bit parinoid during early pregnancy. Enjoy this time it doesn't come very often.
I had also had a miscarriage in Sept at 5.5 weeks and now I'm 6.5 weeks pregnant and up until 2 days ago, I felt much better than the first pregnancy. Then, I started having mild cramping in the lower abdomen area. Yesterday morning, I woke up and my breast that previously felt very tender and sensitive, were soft and back to normal. I started panicking in fear of having a second miscarriage. After calling Telecare, I was told to see a doctor within 24hrs, which I did. The exam result was positive with my cervix still being closed and no signs of bleeding or unusual discharge. They also took a urine sample as well as blood test. I have to go for blood test the next three days to see if my hormone level is increasing or decreasing. I can't stop feeling my breasts to see if they are tender again and the tenderness seems to come and go during the day.
I am SO anxious waiting for the blood tests results, trying to stay positive and very relieved to read that it's not uncommun for breast tenderness to come and go !
I had a miscarriage end of Oct 2010 at 4 weeks. I had only known for a week. Seemed ok for the first 2 weeks but then started crying randomly on Sunday nights - even when I hadn't been thinking about the miscarriage. I have the best support system ever. We're trying  again but Im so nervous. Im on Centrum Materna and DHA as well as 5mg of Folic acid. Saw some vaginal mucus a few days ago but had a bit of blood. Praying for some good news soon. Baby dust to you all.....
hi.. i'm 21yrs old and my period is 8weeks (more than 2 months) delayed. During my first month, i felt soreness and tenderness of breasts.. It was so sore that i scolded my boyfriend when he touched it (i thought my period was about to come but it didn't). However, the soreness and tenderness of my breasts lasted only for a week and i have not experienced it again. my boyfriend and I have been making love twice to five times a week for more than a year now and we do not use any form of contraceptives or withdrawal method.. I guess we both want a baby together.. But we are delaying trying a pregnancy test.. I have no nausea, bloating, constipation and food cravings. However, i do feel dizzy sometimes and get headaches now and then.. Is 8weeks delayed with minimal pregnancy symptoms still an indication that i'm pregnant? If i'm pregnant, why did it take almost 2 years to happen? Help please..
If your period is 8 weeks delayed then you NEED to take a pregnancy test. You are putting yourself at risk if you are pregnant by not taking prenatal vitamins. If are not pregnant then go see your doctor asap. You are being extremely irresponsible by not taking care of yourself right now. Please do something quickly.