Maternal & Child Community
Breastfeeding and Hypothyroidism

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Breastfeeding and Hypothyroidism

I'll ask my OB next time, but I'm curious what other doctors tell women too about this. Is it really OK to breastfeed my baby even though I take Synthroid (generic is Levoxin or something like that) daily for hypothyroidism. I've been taking this medication for years and the dose has been increased several times during my pregnancy (now in week 36), which I'm told is common for pregnant women. I know hypothyroidism is common among women so why I ask here.
I take Synthroid, but the generic name that other women might take is Levothyroxine.
I take 125mcg of  Levothyroxine and my dr said A ok to breastfeed.  This med. is a class A and it will not hurt the baby in any way.
I was able to breastfeed both times and am planning on doing the same when my new one gets here.  My doctor explained that since I took the meds while pregnant that the baby had already been exposed to it.  I have had several Level II u/s to check her thyroid, just as well with my previous pregnancies.  Anyway, since she had been exposed to it during pregnancy they said there would not be that more excreted in the breastmilk and it would be fine.  I was told this from the peditrician, endocronologist (sp?) and my ob so I would say you will be ok.  But do double check with YOUR doctor.
Thanks ladies. I though it's OK but just wanted to check with people out there too.
I'm 34 and have had hypothyroidism since 29.  I delivered my first at 31 and had been on 88mcg of Levoxyl for my entire pregnancy.  I breastfed my daughter for 2 years and she has never had any negative side effects and is a very normal 3 1/2 year old now.  I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding the medication.  Just make sure that you keep your levels adjusted after you give birth since I had to decrease my dosage a little for about 6 months afterward and then went back to my normal dose after my hormones evened out.  
Here is a link stating that this med is a class A - the safest - there has been NO studies that have shown harm on fetus. www.safefetus.com/DrugDetail.asp?DrugId=198&TradeName=Synthroid&TradeId=4158

It has also been proven to be safe in breastfeeding.  Just check with your dr.
I have just been diagnosed with Hypothroidism.  My last level was 14.87.  I was immediatly put on Levoxyl.  I am also breastfeeding and I have been noticing that in the past few weeks my milk supply has started do go down.  My now 5 month old is back to eating every 1.5-2 hours even through the night and on both sides.  My question is how long will it take the levoxyl to start to work, and will it help bring my milk production back up?  I am on 50 mcgs.  

Thanks in advance

Leahmc