Maternal & Child Community
Breastfeeding and Periods

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Breastfeeding and Periods

I quit breastfeeding my then almost 8 month old son at the end of March.  I had been weaning him since he was 6 months old.  I haven't breastfed him at all since March.  I still haven't gotten my period back yet. I was just wondering if this is normal or what happend for other people.
took me 4 weeks to get my first after weaning, then another 8 weeks to get my second. everyone is different though.
with everyone it could be different. however, my cousin had the same issue, and she was actually pregnant. i would just see the dr. for assurement.
Got a ? in regards to breastfeeding!!! I stop breastfeeding 2 months ago, I had a weird period a month ago (which was my first period since I gave birth or even b4 i got pregnant) and for me before I was pregnant my periods where normal (28 day cycle). Here it is 30 days later and i am never late except when i got pregnant or found out I was with my daughter. And all day today and a little bit yesturday Ive been feeling nauseaed, and tired. Could it be possible that im pregnant, again? (it is possible me & my hubby could have conceived when I would have been ovualting.) But do period cycles go back to normal right after you have your first period after stopping breastfeeding??? anyones advise would be so helpful!!! and no i havent taken a pt yet.  
i have had the same problem. My little boy has just turned 12 months. I stopped breast feeding on the 24th January, bled pretty much on and off for 5 weeks while on the mini pill. Saw the doctor who told me to come off the pill for a month to get periods back to normal. Today is now my 34th day without a period, feeling sick at times but don't know if its worry about being pregnant. Have you done a test yet? I'm putting off the idea at the moment :-)
I am having the same problem. I've tryed weaning my son  for some months . I was at an appt. at the dr and told her that my son was only waking up at night to breast feed , sometimes as much as 6 times a night . He would only take it a few times during the day. She told me to stop breastfeeding him at night . It was rocky at first . He would wake up crying alot. her advise was pat him let him and let him know your there. Well it took a month maybe a lil less but it has been two nights in a row that he has slept the whole night. This will be my 2nd month w/out my period. (No I can"t be prego I got a tubal). Getting to the point I"ve been feeling sick and alot usually when i'm in the car or about to leave the house . To be on the safe side i took a P.T. and it came out -- THANK GOD! but 2weeks later and still no period .WHERE IS SHE AT!!!