Maternal & Child Community
Breastfeeding-one poopy diaper a week

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Breastfeeding-one poopy diaper a week

Alex is now 6 1/2 weeks old. When he was born he was having poopy diapers about every feeding or every other. Then when he was 2 weeks he stopped poopy for 4 days and lost about 12 oz. in a week. Then he started poopy again, but only once or twice a day and then I went out of town with him and since then he didn't poop again for a week until I gave him a supposortory(my doctor told me to if he was having trouble pooping). I have read that it is normal for some breastfeed babies to only poop once a week or so, as long as they are getting plenty of wet diapers. Alex is wetting at least about 8 a day and sometimes completely soaks them. He is gaining weight and has chubby cheeks. I know Dh's cousins baby did the same thing, but I wanted to ask you all. I kinda get worried if he doesn't go in a couple days and give him supposortories to help him along. He always fills the diaper completely and sometimes overfills it. Any advice?
Mandi
You can relax hun!!!!!  That is funny coming from me because I remember posting on here a couple of times that my little guy was NOT going either and I was worried.  I have a 5 1/2 month old and he was going only one time or so and he would really grunt and turn red.  Now he is going everyday sometimes 3-4 times a day.  It is rare now if he does not go at all in a day.  Hang in there.  I personally do not see the need for suppositories in your little guy's case but I guess if the dr says ok then go for it.  If you are strictly breastfeeding then there should be no problem with constipation.  Good Luck to you.
I read a article on baby and their poops
How fixated mothers were  and said there is a wide range
from colour to amount of times they go
6 wet diapers a day meant they were getting enough and a good weight gain.
Unless they are fussy and in pain to leave them be
i'll give you a couple of my popy diapers a day if it will make you  feel better.  my dd is almost 6 weeks and poops every ten minutes i swear.

my friends baby is that same way....if it continues when they get older, ...she has to feed her dd prunes....shes 6 months

~nanci