Breastfeeding..........
Hi all,
I have a couple questions........
Do those of you that are breastfeeding find that it is hard to get rest? I mean, if you are feeding on demand and your child is eating every two hours or so how are you sleeping?
Also, about nipple confusion.......do those of you that breastfeed and bottle feed find that the baby doesn't latch on correctly after you've given the bottle?
I am currently 34 weeks 1 day and am wanting to breastfeed but I also want to make sure that I have some opinions........
I have read a few websites about breastfeeding and am just wondering if I will have the physical stamina to keep up with it and I don't want to mess the baby up by giving him a bottle and then expecting him to still latch on to the breast correctly.
Sorry if I seem abit dumb about this, I didn't even consider breastfeeding my son 9 years ago.
Thanks in advance,
Vikki
I breastfed for a little over a month, but had to supplement with formula because my milk never came in.  I wish I would have been able to longer.  I did have nipple soreness, but you can get nipple cream (Lanisoh was what I used), and it helps. My baby never had a problem with going from breast to bottle.  Also, I had a lactation specialist come out to my house to help me in the comfort of my own home after I gave birth...I found her through the hospital I gave birth at, and she was close to where I lived...that helped a lot (there is a charge associated with the visit, but I had unlimited telephone calls I could make to her with questions afterward).  I bought a nice breastpump so that my husband and relatives could feed my breastmilk to them in a bottle, so I could get some rest (although since my milk didn't come in I didn't get to use it much).  I know mothers who have had great success with breastfeeding, and were so happy they were able to have that connection with their baby.  Hopefully between pumping and the other options available to you to help you, you will be able to breastfeed longer than I did.  Good luck!
It is amazing what your body does to compensate for lack of sleep! My son was an avid nurser. I would literally get about 40-50 minutes between the end of one feeding and the beginning of the next (his weight showed it, he was a fast gainer). I co-slept with him and found that it was very easy to just roll over, open things up so to speak and allow him to latch. I was then able to remain pretty rested (you never sleep deeply when you have a baby anyway) and he was able to nurse and drift back off to sleep.

I intend on doing the same with this little guy. My forst son absolutely refused all bottles and therefor it was up to me to be his sole source of nutrition. I didn't mind though, as I knew I was doing the best I could for him : )

Andrea
Sorry for the thread hi-jack.  :)

Rhonan Kay was born at 7:20 am Tuesday morning (6 lbs 3 ounces).  4 weeks early and after 48 hours of labor.  I got an epidural after 38 hours because they decided to speed things up and needed me to be rested for pushing (only pushed for 50 minutes and out she came!!).  It was the most incredible experience.  Dave and my mom were with me the the whole time I was in labor and delivery - we had a slumber party and then a baby the next morning.  Heheh!
OH my gosh!  That's so wonderful!  How much did she weigh?  
Congratulations!  I'm so happy for you.
My experience was almost identical to AndiJ's except in that my DD came home and slept through the night almost imediately. We also co-slept and when she did wake up, it was like an all night buffet. She quickly learned where it was and how to get it herself!

She never took a bottle either, but I do have a friend who is trying to get her breastfed son on the bottle, but she put herself in a predicament where she has no choice. It was never an issure for me because I was a SAHM then too and had the ability to nurse on demand.

I am not a nursing nazi and feel that every woman should be made to  nurse because that is what is best for your baby. On the contrary, I believe that every woman should be EDUCATED about the benefits adn then make her own decision because a happy mommy is the best mommy. I will however say that for myself, i dont' think I would have bonded wuite like I did if I hadn't breastfed. And a friend with 3 boys says that after nursing her youngest 2, she regrets not nursing her oldest. But that's my two cents!

Really Angel, it's not that hard and you can always put that baby on the bottle if you find it's not for you! Don't be hard on yourself either!!! Like I said, the best mommy is a happy mommy!
Thanks everyone!!!!!!!
I do intend to try.........I know breast milk (if you can) is better and more digestable for baby. And formula is soooooooo expensive!!!!
Thanks again!!
Hugs,
Vikki
Congratulations on your little girl!!  Wonderful!  I can't believe it!  How is brestfeeding going?  You don't sleep much, I guess-:)))))  
Take care and try to rest as much as you can!

Ildi
Kassimom:  I love your response to that rude woman!  LOL!  The day I brought my daughter home (she is 2 1/2 mos old) I had to travel to my home town by ferry, about 8 hours.  On the ferry, a lady that has a summer home where I live approached me to talk.  After about 10 mins into the conversation the topic switched to breastfeeding.  She tells me that she thinks it is the crudest thing to be in a public place and "see some woman breastfeeding her kid".  I was shocked, as I am holding my 5 day old infant who is crying and wanting to be fed.  I left to meet up with my family so that I could nurse Hallie.  Did this dip-sh*t have any idea what she just said?  She didn't seem to notice her assinine(sp?) behavior.  I thought she was pretty crude.

Hallie is my 4th child and I have breastfed all of them.  Not all successfully, however.  The first only lasted 3 mos.  The second only lasted 6 mos.  The third weened after 11 mos. which is more in line with what I was trying to accomplish.  This one has been more work on both of our parts because she is tongue-tied.  But, aside from all of the health benefits of breastfeeding, and the economics of it, I truly enjoy the time that nursing allows me to have with my babies.  Sometimes, as busy as moms can get, breastfeeding makes me stop what I am doing, and focus on what is important to me.  My baby.  We talk, sing, and sometimes sleep during a feeding.  Mostly, I take that time to stare at her and bond even closer each time.  After the first few weeks of more frequent feedings and sore nipples and uncomfortable engorgement, breastfeeding can become a very enjoyable experience.  I am not a breastfeeding nazi either, but encourage every mother that can nurse to give it a try for at least 2 or 3 mos., because that is about how long it takes to mellow out on the discomfort, and for schedules to regulate.  As for nipple confusion, that is the sole reason #1 only lasted 3 mos, and #2 only lasted 6 mos.  But, even at that, I have no regrets.  There is definitely pros and cons to both breastfeeding and bottle feeding.

Good luck in whatever decision you make,

Shelly
My son is currently 11 weeks.  Originally I only chose to breastfeed because I knew it was healthy for my baby.  I didn't really think I would like it, but I am so happy I did.  I thought it was hard at first, and was about to quit many times.  The first week was painful, and exhausting.  It got better, and then it got really tough again at about 6 weeks when he went through a growth spurt.  The growth spurt usually occurs between 6-8 weeks.  

I am so glad I am breastfeeding.  Now it is so much easier than the bottle!  I plan to breastfeed as long as possible.  I go back to work in September, so I am not sure if I'll continue when I am working.  I pump regularly so I have a stored supply in the freezer.  It is so nice to be able to comfort your baby when they are upset instantly with your breast.  It came in very handy for us today when Derek got his 2 month old shots!

I introduced the bottle at 3 weeks.  The lactation consultants say that it is ok to introduce the bottle at 3 weeks if the  baby has a good latch.  My baby hated the bottle in the beginning,  but I kept giving it to him.  I did switch nipples at one point, and that seemed to make a difference.  He didn't really start taking the bottle consistently until about 8-9 weeks.  It is important to keep giving him/her a bottle once a day so they get used to it, and stick with it.  If you wait to introduce the bottle too late or go for a long stretch without it, they won't take it.  They are smart enough at that age to realize that they can hold out longer than you can!  Some babies switch from bottle to breast from birth with no problem.  Be careful of the pacifier too, as that can interfere with proper latch.  I gave my son a pacifier in the hospital because he cried a lot, we later realized he had reflux.  But that didn't seem to interfere with proper latch.

Being the only source of nutrition for my baby was difficult at first.  Breastfeeding was very painful the first week, and then again the 6th week, but it is the best thing I could have done for myself and my baby.  I'd be happy to offer any help or support to you.  Your hospital may offer a breastfeeding support group too.  Mine did, and it really helped me through that 6th week, and through the difficulty with the bottle.  Breastfeeding isn't for everyone, and I understand that, but I think everyone should give it a try if they can!  Feel free to e-mail me with any questions/emotional support:  ***@****

Good luck!
Hey thanks!!!!!! I'll try to find it, hubby and I really want to be able to do this for our son.
Hugs,
Vikki
one mroe benefit I wanted to mention about BF-ing is that you don't need formula. Foget how expensive it is, think about time. Making and heating formula is TIME CONSUMING! At 3 am when you are exhausted it is SOOOO much easier to have milk ready and warm than to drag your butt outta bed, make a bottle and heat that bottle to perfect temp (not to mention if you are REALLY tired you can overheat it and burn baby's mouth). Or when you want to go shopping for a day, you have bottles all ready made (in your bra!) you don't have to lug around a HUGE diaper bag with 10 bottles and then worry about how you can heat them. Just pack a few diapers and a blanket (for cover) and you are ready to go!

Now As I said I am not a nursing nazi, but I am, however a HUGE advocate of public nursing. It is natural and those offended by my child eating can go to h*ll. I was in a department store once sitting in an inconspicuous place nursing my DD, my breast and she was covered but it was obvious she was BF-ing. This lady had the NERVE to tell me that the proper place for her to do that was the lavatory! I smiled as nicely as I could and looked her straight in the eye and said "So I guess you will be taking your next meal in the sh*tter as well?" Crude yes, but so was her request!
The book I recommended also talks about people's opinion's to breast feeding. One of the stories was about a woman who was breastfeeding her son under a blanket at a resturant. A woman came up to her and said that the sight of them was making her family sick. The mother told the woman that the sight of her family eating was making HER son sick and that is why she covered him up. It was so funny. It also talked about how a bunch of nursing mothers taught a gorialla to breastfeed. How weird is that. It was a great book and I will by it next time I am pregnant.
There is a really good book that is so funny that I started that is about breastfeeding. It is called "So that is what they are for." It is a really good book with lots of tips and so funny. I had almost half of it read in the first day. Although I didn't finish it after losing my son I could tell it was a great book. I really recommend getting that book. It is awesome!!!
You will ve amazed at what ur body does yes its hard and u get tried but after 8weeks both u and baby know whats best and yes breastfed babys feed every 2 hours as do some bottle vabys a new borns tummu is the size of a walnut and breast milk is all good there for passes quicker then formul as that is design to sit in there tummy to bulk them up loads of benifts for mum too when feeding and no smelly nappy as their poo has nothing in it good luck the more u feed the more milk u make for baby hope this helps x