Maternal & Child Community
Breastfeeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Breastfeeding

Hey ladies!! How is everyone? I havent been on in forever! I have a question. evan is almost 5 months and I tried to BF for the first few days but he would just scream and scream. So I gave up. Now I regret it more then ever. I still cry over it b/c I feel guilty. My question is( I know its odd!!) is it possible for me to try to relactate by pumping, and feeding him Breastmilk?? Do you think its a crazy idea?? I just cannot forgive myself for giving up. Thanks!

Nicole
HI Nicole,

Nadia is almost six months, glad to hear you are doing so well.  

Don't feel guilty about not being able to bf, the cuddling and interaction and bonding you can do while giving a bottle are just as important.

And you should be able to get your milk back, but it will take a lot of effort.  I would contact La Leche League and ask them for advice.
Def. contact La Leche League as the other poster said!!! It is possible to lactate again. It will take some effort, but if you're up for trying, go for it!

However, babies get attached to what they're used to and he may be so in love with his silicone nipples and formula to not really want to try nursing. But it is worth a try!!!

Both of my girls were BF for a little bit (under 2 months) and I felt really guilty and contemplated doing this as well. But I got over the guilt because my girls are thriving. Many people say BF kids are healthier, but that's not always true!

My SIL (has 2 kids) and my sister (3 kids) nursed their kids for a long time. All of those kids get sick easier, don't eat very well, and always seem to be battling allergies or colds. While my two girls are very healthy, great eaters, who don't have allergies and hardly ever get colds/flus.

So if this doesn't end up working, please know that you TRIED and that is what matters. You can always try with the next baby too!
make sure you look into the amount of work this will be. i have been pumping all along (6 months), and the time commitment is intense. it is physically and emotionally draining. i imagine it would be more so if you are trying to relactate. part of the reason why i am weaning is because i feel i am missing too much time with dd. and she's not mobile yet. i imagine it will be nearly impossible once she learns to crawl and isn't satisfied sitting in a bouncy while i pump. i am not saying this to discourage you but rather to make sure you get all the info. i don't regret doing it, but i can't say for sure i'd do it again. if you want more info on exclusively pumping, feel free to ask me, or check out http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppexcluspump

Thanks ladies. Im going back and forth on it now. I just feel horribly. Thanks again for the advice.
Hey! I'm sure this will be a lot of work, but if it's possible I'd say go for it!! He may not have a real interest in nursing since he's so used to the bottle, but the milk is what he needs...not the boob! lol  And he may just latch right on. You never know.

Do contact your local LLL. I've got an 800 number that you can call if you don't know how to get ahold of your local league. Let me know if you want it!

And don't kick yourself over this! Evan is a healthy little munchkin and he knows his mama loves him very much!
i also want to say that no matter what you do, you will always feel guilty and think you should have done more. i feel guilty for quitting after 6 months, and i know people who feel guitly for quitting at a year. guilt comes with being a mom!! it's impossible to avoid.
Thanks ladies.
while searching for info for another post, i found this link

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/relactation-resources.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html
I feel bad because DD just weaned herself at 9 months.  I have tried everything to get her to nurse again and she just screams as soon as I try and latch her on...so my friend said it's better that my DD is the one that quit rather than me refusing to nurse her (esp since we want to get pg again.)  You did what you can and just remember next time to put a little more effort into it so you wont feel guilty.