Maternal & Child Community
Brush teeth or vomit? Sorry if TMI!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Brush teeth or vomit? Sorry if TMI!

I'm currently eight weeks.  I can almost brush all my teeth without getting sick, but cannot brush the insides of the back teeth without vomiting.  I also cannot brush my tongue.  So,I can brush them all and vomit or brush some of them and be kind of unclean.  I can also use mouthwash.  I know it's a gross conundrum I've gotten myself into, but I also know that the vomiting is corocive for my teeth.  Also, after I vomit I feel really beaten up and want to crawl back in bed.  Sorry if I offended anybody, but I figure I can't be the only one in the universe who's ever had this gross dilemma.  Any suggestions?
LOL..I'm not laughing at you but, I'm laughing because so many pregnant women have told me that they have this problem, including myself. It's not so bad now that I'm in my second trimester.  Gosh I wish there were some suggestion I could give you.  I brushed anyway even through it made me gag for like 5 minutes straing and used mouth wash if my mouth still felt dirty.  I'm sorry but I dealt with this annoying routing for the first 3 months.  Just make sure your stomach is empty (which is the usualy situation) before you brush. Also, try not to expect the gagging.  Try to control your reflexes with your mind.  Maybe if you do it first thing in the morning and give yourself some time, you can crawl back into bed for another 15 mins.  I know it takes a lot out of you.
omg that is too funny. Now that I am 18 weeks and have been sick the entire pregnancy I have mastered the morning sickness brushing the teeth problem.  Because TMI I know... Nothing comes out in the morning but the gooey stuff, I just keep brushing while vomiting I can do them both at the same time :)  I thought I was the only one with the brushing the teeth problem, this is too funny.
I had the same problem, and fortunately things are sooo much better for me now that I'm in the 2nd trimester.  Hopefully you will be as lucky.  In the middle of brushing my teeth, I used to turned around to the toilet...throw up...and then went back to brushing my teeth all over again.  Because I had already thrown up, the 2nd time around was always easier.  Sorry, I'm not too helpful, but good luck!  :-)
I to went through this, at the begining till about 12 wks.  I bought a kid size tooth brush (small) it helped alittle.  I would gag before but not nearly as bad as when pregnant.  Now I am 21 wks, and it's starting up again, just sometimes, but yeah just try not to get those areas, or just do them really fast. lol Good luck
Don't brush the parts that make you throw up and rinse with mouthwash after brushing to help with the missed areas.

This is a VERY common affliction for pg women, so you're definitely not alone.  It'll get better.
Hi...I used to be a dental hygienist and heard this (and actually dealt with this problem myself during my pregnancy).  I agree with some comments made above.  Try using a small toothbrush (get soft and if you can, extra soft bristles) and relax your tongue when you're trying to brush your back teeth.  That automatically will help you with gagging.  Also, if you ever throw up during brushing, I would definitely not recommend going back to brushing as it is more detrimental (sp?) to your enamel since the acid from your stomach corodes it.  Also, if you do throw up, try rinsing with carbonated water.  Mouth wash doesn't really remove plaque (only the brushing takes care of the plaque despite all the commercials out there) but it does make your mouth feel fresher.  I hope you feel better soon.  Keeping your mouth fresh and clean is even more important during pregnancy for you and your baby.  Good luck and don't hesitate to ask me any questions you might have :)
Marianna
I gag like crazy while brushing my back teeth and tongue.
All I've found that really helps is to use VERY little toothpaste when I brush those areas. Brush what you can with regular amount of toothpaste, then rinse your brush and mouth and put a TINY little drop of toothpaste on the brush (just enough to say you have some on there). This will help it not be so foamy (which is what ultimately makes ME gag).

As far as having anything that far in your mouth being what makes you gag, just close your eyes, relax your mouth and do it gently. I found that if I try to do it too quickly to get it over with, I'm more tense, and therefore tend to gag more. I also follow up with the Citrus flavored Listerine instead of regular mouthwash, since it will kill any germs I missed.

Hope this helps! :-)
Hi, I work as a dental assistant and I hear of this all the time. Brush what you can tolerate. Mouthwash will make you feel fresher but doesn't do alot for removing plaque. Its the acid in the bile when you throw up that is bad for the teeth but you can't help it. Try chewing some trident dental gum maybe. The action of chewing will remove some plaque. Also try an end-tuft brush.  You can get one at the drugstore and has only a couple rows of bristles so maybe you can manipulate it around the back without triggering the gag reflex. Also stay away from high sugar and high acid foods for a little while until you can brush again.
Well, I am glad a lot of us can relate. And that there is some humor to this.  Thanks everybody.
You know how glad I am you posted this I have been having the same problem..I brush as much as I can and try mouthwash I also like mints and gum helps my stomach a bit too.
Hi. I'm 28 weeks today, and this problem for me just won't go away. It's to the point where even standing at the sink makes me throw up sometimes. (Since I only have dry heaves and throw up stomach acid, I don't bother throwing up in the toilet.) Between heartburn and throwing up, my esophagus is pretty torn up and now I have a really bad cough I can't get rid of.
OMG...I am 30 weeks preggo with #3 and i've been sick up until 16 weeks. I still experience yellow slime when I brush.  I figured it had something to do with the toothpaste itself.  Either way i'd rather deal with the yellow tart tasting slime than chunks of food (sorry gross I know).  Most of us are almost there and when we see our lttle bundles we probably won't even remember this phase...Blessings to all!!!!!!