Maternal & Child Community
Brushing his teeth....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Brushing his teeth....

Ashtyn loves to brush his teeth....however, he always swallows the tooth paste. He is going to be 2 in 11 days, so I think he is getting old enough to understand how to spit. How did you get your child to spit out the tooth paste instead of swallowing it?? Any advice would be great!
ill be watching this post too.My daughter is 21 months and also swallows her toothpaste.Nothing i do seems to work..........
My son is almost five and I still have to help him brush his teeth. I have to tell him to spit or he won't. It's really not harmful. The dentist says put a tiny pea size or even smaller on the brush becuase kids are known for swallowing it. I was actually told I need to brush my sons teeth to make sure it's done right. So I will brush his teeth and tell him to spit each time I finish on one side or go from top to bottom then he likes to take the brush and do it himself. He likes brushing his teeth too. He's all into hygien and beign clean. he likes to use my husband's deodorant and body spray and gel his hair. It's so cute. It's good your son likes to brush his teeth many kids don't. Anyway, you should remind him to spit until he gets the hang of it.

It's about time for the dentist huh? My son went when he was two, doctor said that's when he should go but some say sooner some say later. Do your best to prepare him and make him comfortable about the dentist. My son is terrified of the dentist and I just hate when he cries every time we go. I really didn't prepare him for the first time he went and the tools and look of the chair scares him. He goes to a pediatric dentist that specializes with kids under 12 years. It's a great dentist, make sure you find a good one who knows how to deal with children.
You're using the training toothpaste right? It's fluoride free so it's safe to swallow. We just have Noah brush his teeth when we do and he learned to spit by copying us, he thinks it's funny.
Thanks ladies. We do use the training toothpaste and I always help him brush his teeth and then let him finish by brushing them himself for a few minutes. I never brush my teeth at the same time as him, so maybe that is something I should try. That way I am showing him what to do with the tooth paste. Good suggestion!
My son is 4½ and I still have to remind him to spit. I taught him how by brushing my teeth at the same time and showing how to spit out the foam and water.
But...he still needs to be reminded to spit. Since he's older now, and likes to feel in control, I remind him by saying, "Okay, tell me when you're ready to spit."
Then he's reminded, but feels in control of when he gets to do it.
I remember making REALLY exaggerated spitting into the sink so the boys could copy, complete with laughing and good times for all.
Ayden loves to brush his teeth also.  He doesn't do that great of a job and won't let me in there to help.  He'll bite the brush so I can't move it.  I have no idea how to get him to stop that never mind spitting...lol  
Aydensmommy-------My son's dentist told me what to do about that because my son did the same thing and he's not so good at brushing his teeth so dentist said I need to do it. It sounds aweful but he told me to grab his jaw, just a little pressure at the back of his jaw with my fingers while holding his chin in the palm of my hand will get him to open up. I actually didn't do it with my son, I just told him he needs to let me do it because the dentist said so and because I needed to make sure it was done right and he lets me now but that may work for you.
Thanks.  I'm just afraid to hurt him
I am lucky, Ashtyn LOVES to brush his teeth and have them brushed! He laughs...and he has from day one. His gums must be real sensitive lol It is so funny :-) I guess I will just keep trying and I am sure he will get it.