Maternal & Child Community
CHANCES OF PREGNANCY AT AGE 39 ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

CHANCES OF PREGNANCY AT AGE 39 ?

My best friend has been trying to have a baby for almost 3 years now.  She's 38, 39 this summer, in perfect health, active and vibrant. She's begining to panic about her age. She's been going to a fertility clinic for about a year and a half, not continuously.  She got pregnant last May and miscarried in July.  It was devastating and took several months for her to grieve and come around again.  She's back in treatment now, hormone-boosting and insemination, second month.  Hasn't decided yet if she'll go as far as IVF.  What are her chances ?  I'm convinced she has motherhood in her future, I feel it in my gut.  I wonder sometimes though if that's my hope overtaking my intuition.  I only give her support and encouragement, never show my sadness or fear.  It's really hard sometimes to show unwavering support. I feel the depth of her longing and her pain - meanwhile I have two perfect children, I'm a few years younger and no fertility problems.  Anyway, this is not about me.
She's waiting for her period to start so she can begin this month's cycle of hormones.  40 days and counting - but she took a preg test yesterday and negative.  It this normal ?  Could she be pregnant and the test be wrong ?  Is the long cycle a result of the hormones ?
When is her baby going to come ?  what are her chances ?  is it really going to happen ?  please god...
Any feedback is appreciated.  Thanks.
has her husband been tested?
my MIL got pg at 39 everyone is different so who knows.

best of luck to her!  i hope God answers your prayers in the way you are hoping!
~nanci
A friend of mine is 40 and is 11 weeks pregnant with no fertility drugs.
She had 5 miscarriages then a healthy boy and now 22 months later is pregnant again.
Baby was and is very much wanted and planned and tried for but she is worried because of her past miscarriages.

So yes, it is possible at age 39.

I agree with Nanci that her hubby should get tested. My ex husband would never get tested and we tried for 5 years.......nothing.......
I married my now husband and was pregnant within 2 months.
hey Im 37 with a 4 month old
Anything is possible
My sister had troubles because her husband sperm had low mobility so she had it implanted and now due with twins!
Yes her husband has had all the tests.  At the outset he had low sperm count and mobility, but made several lifestyle changes including certain vitamins, less caffeine and boxers over briefs (ha ha), and 3 or 4 months later was absolutely fine.  Also, there is nothing technically wrong with her either.  It just seems to be a very difficult and long process, causing much doubt and anxiety, especially considering the time factor.
totally possible. it will happen for her. and depending on what hormones she is on it could be them lengthining (sp?) her cycle. I know when I was taking progesterone along with clomid my cycle went for 40 days and then the doc had me stop taking the progesterone and it started right away.