Maternal & Child Community
CONSTIPATED-My poor 8 month old-HELP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

CONSTIPATED-My poor 8 month old-HELP

My 8 month old boy is very constipated.  He cries when he try to go and the poop is very hard.  He doesn't like water or juice and we try to give him fruits every day.  Any ideas?
Call your ped MD. or check online. I know juice, extra water helps, but if he won't drink that, I don't know!
Does some of the fussiness have to do with any of the gas related to consipation (can be painful) If you think this may have something to do with it try the infant gas relief drops. They helped my son when he had this problem (also constipated) but it did seem to help! Good Luck!
Sorry to post twice, have you tried pedialyte? I know its for dehydration but with my kids they like the taste better than juice and it causes them to poop! Just a thought.
I used to give Troy pear juice.  Do you give him cereal like on a spoon??  If you do then you can mix some juice in with that.  If that doesnt work I would call your Ped.  
Hey girl, what's up!  I tried diluted pear juice and he is just not that interested...I might try that pedialyte.  I don't think he has gas because he only does that when he is trying to poop.  My mom had to literally pull it out for him, I am sorry, TMI but that's what happened this morning.
try 1/2 apple juice mixed with 1/2 prunce juice, the apple juice helps get rid of that nasty prune juice taste.  Also, avoid bananas!  They definetly give constipation.  
Hey girl, yeah, I give prunes and it seems to help.  The problem is to get him to eat...He is on soy formula and I might try the less powder method.  I will call the doc.  It's not eveyrday but just want to know what else I can do.  How do you get them to drink fluid?
the bottle of formula i have no trouble....in between juices, well..that takes a bit of trying...but now at 10m my son loves loves loves melon.  before breakfast i put him in the highchair w/ either cantaloupe or watermelon..tiny soft pieces and he has that before lunch and dinner.....this has helped regulate the pooh dinkies!!!!  is your lil man on foods??  i know at that time my son could eat very soft fruit but then again my guy was climbing over us to get real food.  he also has six teeth!!!  if he is on soft foods.....melon has worked wonders for us....the only trouble w/ the prune juice is that it can be an explosion..ick!!!  to keep him regular definitely ask your dr about not using the full amount of formula and fresh fruit that is soft is a big help.  good luck.  :)
The rice cereal blocks my boy up like paste.  I have stopped giving it until his system is better at processing it, or he won't poop for three days.  Conversely, Gerber baby carrots make him poop like flowing velvet, if one can use such a positive analogy for something like pooping!  LOL  Good luck!
I am grandmother to a 14 month old boy and when he started milk in place of his formula (at 12 months) he became constipated.  I remembered that 26 years ago I used a cereal called Weetabix, at first mixed with his baby rice cereal, and then by itself, with my youngest for the same problem.  My daughter bought the cereal and it has really helped the problem with my grandson.  It is available in our Stop and Shop markets here and is a whole grain organic biscuit cereal which you can crumble and to which you can add his formula to to make it nice and mushy.  It is very healthy and really absorbs liquid which helps the constipation.  The other thing which works really well is to give him pieces of ripe, pealed plum.  They are delicious and very fibrous so they do the trick also.  He may drink juice or water out of a sippy cup better than a bottle, the ones with Thomas the Tank Engine on them work for my grandson.  Also make sure he gets whole wheat bread to increase his fiber intake. Get ahead of this problem as if it really becomes serious it can start a vicious cycle of him hurting when he goes, refusing to go and so becoming more constipated.  Of course call your doctor but I always tried to avoid laxatives or suppositories and tried to solve the problem by changes to his diet.  Good luck.  
i would def call your dr...but my daughter had the same troubles.....i used to feed her prunes and also give her an ounce of prune juice in 4 oz of water.  now that was 17+ years ago....so i dont know if they tell you to do that anymore but it worked...unfortunately gas pains happen w/ that too.....poor lil guy...must be too much iron...is he on formula??  they told me to mix less powder in the water than what it called for for my 10m old son.  i give him 3 scoops of powder for 8oz bottle.  that helped a lot. good luck
with my 3 month old dd I'll take and pour 1 oz of gerber prune/apple jucie in her bottle then add 5 more ounces of water (total 6 ounces of liquid) then I mix her formula in with the whole liquid concoction (it looks gross, but, she eats it pretty good.)