Caffeine in Pregnancy
I have been drinking coffee during my pregnancy thus far (I am 16 weeks) with the occassional latte even---My doctor said fine in moderation...I was wondering did anyone else continue caffeine during pregnancy...am I harming my baby??
i know that if you are a soda drinker that they prefer you drink regular instead of diet while pregnant but that is because of the nutrasweet and other artificial sweetners.
i am betting 1 cup of coffee a day would be ok. but i wouldn't go hog wild and drink a ton of coffee a day.
however, my dh's best friends wife drank mt. dew like it was going out of style while she was pg (she also smoked/not cutting back at all)  Yes she was the picture of health. she tried to tell us that her doctor told her not to quit smoking or even cut back cuz it would be worse on the baby than the smoking. (talk about a quack)

sorry i kind of got off the subject

~nanci
Hi. Actually, when I found out I was pregnant for my son, I was three months and I too was smoking.  My doctor also told me not to quit smoking because it would be worse on the baby.  I said cutting down slowly and eventually quitting is ok, but quitting "cold turkey" could'would send the baby into withdrawels, same as quitting coffee, sodas etc.  But who knows, maybe only a doctor's opinion????
Sorry, I meant "He said quitting......"
now that sounds like something a doctor would say!!

SHE told us that her doctor told her not to quit at all and don't worry about cutting back nothing and by the way she was a pretty heavy smoker.

i just couldn't see a doctor advising someone to keep smoking like nothing was different.
i can totally understand the whole cold turkey thing in fact my doctor was real big on using the patch, so that it would be a more consistant ween off the nic.

~nanci
I was told by my midwife, caffeine is fine in moderation.  8 cups of coffee a day would be too much, but she said a couple cups a day is fine.  I was a big latte drinker too, and she said one a day would be fine.  I did have my first two cups of coffee last monday.  I hadn't had any coffee since New Year's Eve (found out I was pregnant early January). Boy did the caffeine hit me, I was bouncing off the walls!  The way I look at it is there is caffeine in soft drinks, chocolate etc.  So I'm sure coffee in moderation is fine.
Caffiene in modertaion is fine, as all the other posts mention, but I feel I must mention that an often overlooked fact about caffiene is that it IS classified as a drug and as such, when stopped will cause symptoms of withdrawal. That is, if you drink more than moderation, birth of your baby will throw him/her into withdrawal from caffiene.

When I got pg with DD I quit drinking coke altogether and have never been a coffee drinker, so that wasn't a problem. I found that after giving birth, I hated the taste of coke, After having done without it for so long,I found I preferred water and more thrist quenching drinks more satisfying.

I forget the exact numbers, but somewhere around 300 mg of caffiene is considered safe per day. One cup of coffee contains around 250 give or take depending on brand and wether it is de-caf coffee(still contains slight amounts of caffiene)

Also, while on the subject of caffienated drinks, also wanted to impart this bit of trivia. ANY carbonated drink contains a type of phosphorous (I believe that is what it is called) that binds to the calcium in your body and turns it into waste. For every 12 oz can you drink, you deplete your body of an entire day's worth of calcium. I learned this from a nurse friend who worked OB and L&D.
300 mgs per day is OK.  1 cup of home brewed is ~ 135 mgs.
I read that the content of caffiene in a cup of coffee varies significantly by brand, type, and how much you use.
i also gave up drinking coke this time around - and coffee - and i feel better anyway, besides it benefitting the unborn one.
i also read that moderate amts. of caffeine in pregnancy are safe.  i would never worry about having one cup of coffee per day.
Thank you for the advice and support...does anyone else feel like every time they turn around they read or hear they are doing something wrong in their pregnancy...it is quite stressful, but I am trying to enjoy all the wonderful things about pregnancy--I swear I am not reading another book on pregnancy!!!! They are SCARY!!
don't feel bad, my mother insists that as soon as she finds out i am finnally pg she is going to wrap me in bubble wrap.
so i daid ok i just won't tell you until i'm like 9 months pg.

she says the hell you will!
i just laugh at her
~nanci
I was drinking a can of Pepsi a day back when I was pg before and I had a m/c in Sept.  I later read that caffiene was linked to m/c.  Talk about guilt.  I swear I had done that to my baby.  I very rarely ever drink caffiene.  It makes my heart palpatations act up so I steer clear of it except in chocolate.  I am a Sprite or Sierra Mist or Root Beer drinker if I must have soda.  I have also heard moderation is fine but once I heard it could be linked to m/c I gave it up and even the chocolate I cut back tremendously.   Good Luck.
LOL- I drink root beer too when I MUST HAVE that soda taste!!

kat-I feel MUCH better too! Funny how without the caffiene I actually had more energy for longer without feeling that low you get after the initial rush of energy!

Actually, sicne I stopped drinking soda regularly, when I do drink one, I can actually tell in my face by my body bloating up slightly. I have to drink massive amounts of water just to make up for one dumb root beer! But hey, sometimes it's worth it. You can't eat pizza without root beer! That's just wrong!