Maternal & Child Community
Can Amniotic Fluid leakage start and stop??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I've read conflicting things regarding this.  For about 2 weeks now I've been experiencing off and on wetness in my underwear.  Not wet enough to leak through to my pants but wet enough to feel it and my whole crotch in my underwear is visably wet (sorry TMI).  Anyway, I don't think it's urine since it always smells sweet.  I just wasn't sure if it's possible to break your water and not have a steady trickle and have it come and go.  My baby has been moving fine and I am coming up on 38 weeks so in that regards I'm not too concerned.  But if my water has indeed broken can't I get an infection?  Should I go in and see my doctor today?  I've got an appt. on Thursday morning.
did you feel the fluid leaking out, or did you just notice your undies were wet??
If it has a sweet smell it probley is amno. fluid.  They will probley go ahead and induce you if it is leaking!  good luck!
I would call your dr right away!  I only got a couple of drops and called thinking they were going to tell me to stop being paranoid.  But they had me come in to test it, even though I told them it was not still leaking, and it didnt leak the rest of the day.  They tested it with some paper strip, and sure enough, it was amniotic fluid!  They said they wanted to induce me bc the longer you go with leaking fluid, the more risk of infection, and yes, you can leak, and then stop, and then leak, etc.  So, please call your dr, and if its not, then at least the risk isnt there, but if it is.....
Good Luck and God Bless!
But if it's not leaking right now will they still be able to tell?
Maybe they can do an ultra sound to see the sac and if it's still a good size.  I know when I had my 2nd level they were able to tell me if my "fluid" was good.  
Yes I waited all day to see if it would happen again before I called, had wiped and everything, changed underwear, and they still just rubbed the paper down there and it said amniotic fluid.  I agree with the scan too, but if its a slow leak they might not be able to tell that way.  Let us know...
Yeah, I'd feel more at peace if I called my doctor today.  Even if it's not leakage and just discharge at least I'll know for sure.  I'll keep you all posted.  Thx
Yes, amniotic fluid leakage can start and stop.  But you can also have some wetness in your panties as a normal part of late pregnancy.  Only a doctor should make the judgement as to what it is or isn't.  If it is amniotic fluid, it is vital to find out as soon as possible.

If you have questions as to what you are leaking and when you should be seen, call the doctors office and ask.  They are the ones looking after your care, and should be the ones giving you advice on something this critical.  

Good luck!  Let us know what you find out.  Don't worry about "bothering" the doctor.  They field these questions all the time.
HI! Someone just posted on this i think yesterday. But I am having the same trouble too, i called and the nurse told me not to worry she was pretty sure it was probably only leaking of urine, but they would test at my appt tomorrow. What if it was leakage of amino fluid and they can't tell by the test they do? I wonder if they will do an u/s to be sure, i'm quite worried about this too, i don't feel the wetness all the time neither. But sometimes its enough to soak through my undies. Since the nurse didn't think it was important enough to come in that day, maybe they won't think its important enough to do an u/s if the test don't show amino?
I thought I felt a drip, but couldnt tell until I checked my undies.  Just a couple of wetspots on there.  And that was it.  That happened in am when I got up and I called the dr at like 3pm.
UPDATE:  I called my doctor and she told me to go to labor and delivery at my hospital.  They checked for amniotic fluid and it was negative.  They said it was just discharge.  Plus they didn't test it with just a piece of paper.  They had me sit on top of a bed pan to raise my butt and did a speculum exam.  Exept it wasn't no where near what a "normal" exam feels like.  It felt like they were stabbing me up there!  She told me before hand it would hurt but I didn't think anything of it b/c they always say that with exams and it never hurts me.  But let me tell you this hurt!  Also, she did a regular cervix check to check my dilation and I was 1 cm 50% effaced and -2 station.  Last week I was 1,50, and 0 station.  I asked if the baby would move back up and she said no it's probably just examiner variation. So what does that mean, was she right or my doctor last week??