Maternal & Child Community
Can Beta-Thalassemia Minor have symptoms?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Viewing 401-424 comments:
I am really surprised by what you say because low iron is the norm among BTM people.
My iron stores throughout my life has been always lower than normal and in some occasions (when I felt the strongest fatigue ) was at dangerously low levels!!
You don't have to over-do-it by taking daily supplements but eating Spinach and Lentils once a week as well as Parsley with your salad will not cause you any harm!
And red meat of course!
I'm 17 and was just diagnosed with Beta Thalassemia today. No one would expect me to have it, I'm from the U.S. and very, very white. I don't understand much about it, just that it runs in my family and could be causing most of my headaches and fatigue and stuff. As soon as they called I was crying. My dad had it too. I'm scared and don't know what to think..
Pleeeeaaase elaborate!!
I am 52 and a pharmacist in UK . with betathalasaemia minor..I dont know what all the fuss is about...It PROTECTS you from dying of malaria.( !)..In the past a lot of Italy  and europe was swampy malarious...therefore its prevalence  in that area and middle east.There is NOTHING to worry about...most people who visit these kind of forums are hypochondriac depressives...nothing to do with thalassaemia trait.. I have two lovely daughters.I look extremely young for my age..you will find this in other trait carrriers..this is because the oxygen tension in the blood is low and the body doesnt go'rusty' as quickly. I have Identicle twin..fit as a fiddle and has a Phd and three lovely clever kids. Chill. ... I think my sister is a carrier also.. she also is extremely young looking and pretty 50 years old with lovely healthy daughters.relax.
Hello, I guess almost everyone here has thalassemia right? Needless to say, I am one too. :( I was diagnosed with Thalassemia minor at the age of 4 but when I was young, I dont have much symptoms. However as I grow older, more symptoms started to appear, btw, I am only 14.
Despite sleeping for more than 10 hours on weekends, I will still feel tired and will take 2-3 hours afternoon nap. I cant sleep that long hours on weekdays because I attend a full day school. In school, we have mass run, about a mile, and the whole school will run together. It is quite embarrassing for me to run and pant loudly during the run, whereas my friends dont. My hands will turn cold and be numbed.
In school, it is a must to take up an extra activity. As I am not the musical talented type, I chose to play badminton. The physical during the training is really tough. Most of my friends will complete the physical with ease while I will turn pale and pant really hard. When it comes the stamina wise, I always will lose out.
My parents always nag at me for being an athletic yet have no stamina. It is not that I dont want to train or improve, but I am always tired out easily. Though my dad and sister has thalassemia, they dont really have much symptoms as me. They dont get as tired as me when it comes to long distance running and staying awake for long hours.
My head will throb whenever I dont not have enough sleep. I also cannot seem to study. I will always tend to doze off while studying.
Am I the only one who is experiencing this or...?  and how do I cope with this?  
You may also be positive for the MTHFR genetic mutation (not uncommon). Whether you are or not, try taking only the active form of folic acid, that is, 5-methyltatrahydrofolate. If you have the mutation your body may not convert the folic acid you take to the form the body needs to use and the fa can pool in the blood and promote the growth of cancer cells. Also, I would suggest you take the active forms of B12, methylcobalamin, and B6 as P5P. You can visit mthfr.net for more info. I have chronic fatigue syndrome but I know my mother has thalassemia minor. So now,  after reading this blog, I am going to get checked for it.
FIRSTLY  I WISH ALL THE BEST TO THOSE THAT ARE HAVING PROBLEMS.
RECENTLY FOUND OUT I AM A CARRIER. I  SUFFER FROM  FATIGUE. GO OUT FOR 6 HRS SLEEP FOR 18HRS. THE DOCTORS SAY I'M DEPRESSED DUE TO DELAYED BEREAVEMENT AND ARE TRYING TO FORCE SOME MEDICATION. THANKS TO ALL YOU LOT I KNOW BETTER.
I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH FATIGUE. I HAD A LOT OF ENERGY WHEN  I WAS YOUNG.
I THINK I SHOULD TARGET  BLONDE OR RED HAIRED GERMANIC/CELTIC INDIAN RACE OR JAPANESE MONGOLOID AS A POSSIBLE MATE TO BREED WITH.
Hello, I am currently 19, almost 20.
I was diagnosed with this blood condition when I was 17 after the doctor mistook it for Anemia, telling me to take Iron tablets (Huge waste of money)

After discovering that it was BTM I was immediately told that it had no symptoms to worry about, this was not the case for me, a bit later I was diagnosed with ADD, I have no problem paying attention, but the details of what I learned seem to become foggy or blurred when I try to recall them. My life seems to have been filled with people just being lazy about my conditions and passing it off as another.

During the span of my life I have had these symptoms, not sure if they are connected with my blood disorder, but here they are none the less, you will find that some are similar to others previously posted.

- Muscle pain, which could last up to three days
- Dizziness randomly
- Headaches randomly
- Dark circles under my eyes, even though I get a good amount of sleep
- Sometimes (Rarely) I cannot sleep at all for a whole day
- I will pass out if I stand up to fast
- Drowsiness throughout the day
- Easily fatigued
- And last but not least, Fogginess of memory.

I am fine with how my life is, It can be challenging at times but I've managed to keep my body in pretty good shape given that I become tired so easily and have the possibility of blacking out.

Let me know what comment you guys have on this.

Thanks for reading!

-Chris
not everyone experiences exactly the same symptoms but I do seem to feel better when i maintain a diet plenty with a lot of red meat, fruits, juice and a lot of water. Taking folic acid everyday also helps my condition. About tiredness this really doen't go away for me. I chose to take up music and theatre at school, would prefer not to do any sports although I enjoy it.
as others have said, at least I find other people who have the same symptoms and do not think of me being crazy!

I'm 27 female and look like at most 20. I was diagnosed when I was 16 when I passed out at school, doc gave me iron and folic acid and put me on a diet with lots of red meat, which helped a lot. Being at school sucked, i couldn't finish gymnastics class and I used to get really bad marks because the teacher had no idea about my condition and just thought I was lazy. I finally became overweight, something I am trying to change right now.

When I get the flu it can take up to a month to recover where other people would be OK in 3-4 days. And I have another strange symptop, I have slightly higher than normal fever which will not go away for long time and only when I take vitamin supplements.

To put things in persective this is is not such a bad thing, you can live with it a normal life just have to take care of yourself. The thing THAT REALLY BOTHERS me is doctors ignorance and as a result society's ignorance. I've been pocked by friends when I had to go to sleep early and had difficult time at school. I wish that could stop.
please,Never take iron with thalassemia.it will store in your liver and ruin your liver.i was told this by a hematologist at UAB years ago.also a genetitist said that if both parents have the disorder you run the chance of having a child with thalassemia major.also most dr's are not aware of the different types of anemia,but should be!and Love prescribing iron,it will cause heartproblems later and hemochromatosis.
I got the results to my beta thalassaemia test half an hour back. And I am tested positive. I am 22 years old and I am always tired... Also, I have always been a sick child. I have read through all the posts and realized that folic acid is good. I will take it and post my results.
Hi, my name is bindiya
I also have a son with the same .
If you need any advise let me know
hi Chipodzo,
sorry to hear about your daughter,I have also BTM,and i have severe pain in my hands,but dr says its not due to BTM.They gave me ibuprofen 3 times a day,for pain.
beta thalassemia can most deff have symptoms. Doctors and others will tell you that it doesnt but they have finally done a study proving that more than half the people with beta thalassemia minor have symptoms. I suggest you go to thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com and look under thal minor, it helped me to learn a lot of information that I did not know and it has a link to the study.
my grandmother was placed on iron infusion weekly for over a year and it ended up killing her of iron toxicity of the liver. She died a very painful death and we could not understand because they told us she had scerosis but she had never drank. It was not until I went to the same hemotologist and he tried to make me start the iron infusions and got very mad at me because I refused and made him send my for a transfusion. I then looked into what my grand mother had been recieveing. How can a blood specialist do this? He killed my grandmother and she died a horrible painful death.
I've read most of the posts.  I can't recall anyone commenting on the younger-than-we-are look, it's really true.  I am 44, I am an Interior Designer with a full service Wedding Business, I work 6 days a week and when I give my age when asked people are always amazed.  No one thinks am past 32, amazing, and I don't particularly take extremely good care of myself.  So thanks for the info.  

To the general community, I live in the Caribbean so am always tired but I have learnt to work around it.  When am tired I rest.  Unlike most of you my count hardly ever gets to 10 I maintain an 8/9.  Red wine or Brandy helps I don't know why but it does, so I indulge about twice a week.

I live and try to enjoy every day  am able to get out.  So happy to have found you guys.
Many of you are the most depressing people/group/ weaklings I have ever seen in my whole life. Thal minor has it's benefits. You all inherited this from ancestors whos body's evolved to fight the malaria disease which is why your red blood cells are oval shaped. You guys are all weak and lazy due to your weak mindedness about this so called disease.  Workout hard eat healthy and your body/ energy will reward you. Continue to moan and groan all day you will remain a weakling. Be happy you have eyes/ feet/ and arms. Be happy you wake up everyday from your sleep. This has taken a negative placebo effect on you all. Your mind is in your control, regain it or you won't have anything left.
Thank you for sharing those stories, it is such a relief to know I am not alone. I can relate to a lot of those symptoms. I am 33, have always needed lots more sleep than the average bear and I find it very hard to go out at night and have fun with friends. I seem to catch every cold that is going around and do not recover for ages. Last year I was sick for 3 months. I have also suffered in and out of mild depression most of my adult life and I have often wondered whether it is the thalassemia. It is quite frustrating that doctors are dismissive or ignorant of what it is like to have it. I am lactose intolerant and vegetarian and would love some informed advice on diet. I have found a low GI diet has helped with tiredness. My twin sister and Nanna also have thyroid issues and thalassemia. I wonder if there is a link.
im so happy to be finding this here..im a BTM diagnosed since i was 16,i started feeling weak very easily in school till i had to stop all of my activities even gave up so many activities,and im still suffering til now,im 23.ive been to numerous doctors and they all tel me that thall trait isnt suppose to be causing these symtoms (symptoms),i get migraines almost every week,get fevers so frequently,and towrds the end of the day i get so tired,that i can barely even lift my arm up ..and also,im very worried as sometimes i get these anemic attacks in episodes,where i get too weak till i need to go to a hospital to get infused wth fluid.im sick n tired of being sick,this is very much disturbing my daily activities..i wish i can get help...
It is worth investigating the Chinese approach in some depth as well as following the advice here about Folic acid etc. From a Chinese medical perspective thalassaemia trait is a bone marrow issue and there are strategies within the Chinese system to energise the chi - life force - in the bone marrow. I recommend finding a good acupuncturist (word of mouth), investigating Tai Chi and Chi Kung, especially Bone Marrow Washing Set. Also check out Agama Yoga, a taoist approach to using yoga to energise the body. Don't wait for conventional medicine to do anything about thal trait as there is no priority given to research in this area and you will be fobbed off with iron tablets that may not be appropriate for you.
I also went through similar problems at school with exercise - the level of ignorance among the teachers was shocking. As an adult I have devoted myself to finding forms of exercise that are appropriate and beneficial.

I recommend, in no particular order, walking, 5Rhythms dance, tai chi, yoga, salsa, cycling, swimming, light weight training and rowing, elliptical machines. I have also found much benefit in African healing dance and Indian classical dance. Enjoy the journey of healing!
This is a very unhelpful post - as if everyone were the same. You are lucky that you are not adversely affected by symptoms, but many people are, you just don't have the empathetic ability to put yourself in their shoes. I am surprised as a pharmacist you have nothing more constructive to say, but then this approach from the mainstream medical profession is one of the reasons this forum exists.
I also recommend two books about Chinese dietary therapy: Healing with Whole Foods by Paul PItchford, and Longevity: The Tao of Eating by Aileen Yeoh. The Chinese approach is not a quick-fix but by changing your dietary, exercise, and thought habits over a long period of time you will build sustainable health support systems into your life and may even end up with better health than your non-thalassaemic friends who will have burned themselves out!
I am 44 years old, i suffered minor BT, already 6 months in the year I had a very severe anemia, fatigue, frequent infections in the body so that my white blood higher than red blood.
I struggled from childhood until this year to work hard and live life like a normal person, but I admit to 6 months, I almost gave up because I sometimes can not get out of tdur to do the right thing I could do, I need help from others, every week I need medicine to get back to work and within one month I am more in bed than my office to work.
until I found this post yesterday, only 2 days I read the testimony of friends - friends turned out a lot with me to struggle with the disease and live a normal life
thank you everyone who wrote in this post
God Bless our
Hi, im 20, thalassemia minor, detected it only 2-3 years ago. the doctor told me that there wouldnt be a problem when im exercising so i've been taking part in sports competitively since i was 13. i too experience breathing difficulties and dizziness when im being pushed too hard in fitness and when i have insufficient rest time. my period's also always early and i always look pale recently. it seems to have gone so bad to the extent that im unable to sustain a run of more than 2k if my starting pace is too fast. im really puzzled if i should continue my training because i really love the sport but i dont seem to be able to last long enough during the game.  :(
apologies from me for any negativity felt by readers...I was putting myself in the hypothetical shoes of someone recently tested positive..if reading the posts this person may have become anxious  psychosomatic repercussions.Thank you all for your valuable informative posts. Xx
hey i feel you im over people telling its in my head im always so tiered and if i could sleep all day i would learning at work is a challenge also and at time i think that people look at me like im thick but if they only new
Hi to all

I got my full blood count 3 years ago and was confirmed as a Thal Minor. I brushed it off aside like a man, but those symptoms couldn't seem to avoid me.

1) After sprinting exercises, I always took longer to recover from the panting and had giddiness without fail.

2) Mild depression, I always thought I was developing negative thoughts out of the blue was the cause of a broken family. But now I know.

3) Tiredness. I was reading the first page and I laughed...now I know why I feel so tired my entire life. It is normal to feel this way.

4) Cold(which never seem to go away). This is the most annoying trait! I get this every Friday!!! When the weekends are here, most people get to enjoy it! But I have to rest in bed, eating medicine. Whew...

Regards,
Friend with Thal Minor

I am 45 and during a medical check up, I was told that I might be suspected of having Thal. I am surprised as I have two daughters at age of 11 and 9 and had undergone all medical check ups during pregnancy. No doctors had told me that I am having Thal. Can I have Thal at this age. I do not have any symptoms. I eat well and do not have headahces or any pain what soever. Please advise.

Mala
You should maybe think about taking creatine, I'm also a Beta Thall, I'm 50 years old and train at least 6 times per week, body pump, cx works and free weights, I use creatine so that my muscles don't tire so easily and I also supplement this with a 50/50 mix of dextrose and malto dextrine dissolved in water, it really helps me and I have a very fast recovery time.:)
Hi Jack -
I was diagnosed last year, now 32, after years of Drs telling me to take more iron due to anemia. The iron was giving me so many stomach pains and problems I was referred to a gasto dr. She was actually the one that figured it out finally and referred me to a specialist. All my life I've shared the same symptoms - as well as recently some uncomfortable joint pain and lack of stamina while exercising. Thanks to everyone for sharing you info!
Hey all,

Just compiled a comprehensive list of 'symptoms' I experience (yawning as I do this). Please feel free to comment.

Symptoms:
Anemia
Tiredness
Dizziness, seasick
Chronic fatigue
Shortness of breath
Pallor
Random headaches
Difficulty concentrating
General weakness at times
Coldness – hands, feet, body
Blurred or foggy memories at times, brain fog, grogginess
Hair loss
Feeling faint
Susceptible to getting fevers
Colds - takes long to recover
Hot days = low blood pressure = feel faint
Like to eat ice
Dark under eyes
Low blood count
Extreme dislike of stairs!
Low stamina
LOVE to sleep!!!
Mild depression
General crankiness / mood swings
Joint pain, especially back pain
Heavy periods
Random twitching
Random numbness and tingling in body parts
Love oranges / mandarins
Light sensitivity
Difficult waking up in the morning
Cant stand still for long
Bruise easily
Muscle cramps – especially calves
Thirsty a lot but cannot handle a lot of water
Impaired vision

I used to get colds every year, no fail and take weeks to recover but since 2 years ago haven't had a single cold or fever!!! Have been having 1/2 onion and 2 cloves of garlic with 3 dinners a week during winter and this seems to have worked. Please try and let me know if this works for you too :)
I have Thalassemia Minor, but in 1984 I contracted Malaria after visiting Zambia (Africa). So I don't know about the claim that we (TM) are unable to get this disease.
Your post is disturbing and I think you have an uncompassionate self absorbed soul who should not spread your negativity onto others. I cant speak for others on here who have posted, but "lazy" has never been a luxury I could afford.  And as far as being protected from malaria as a positive for this life threatening blood disorder, well **** off! I don't live where the perk of being immune to malaria does a damn thing for me. people are on this site to get answers, to feel we are not alone etc.  I wish you a life of good health because its painfully obvious you couldn't handle what most  are going through that have posted here.
I was recently diagnosed with having thalassemia minor after doing genetic testing for fertility.  No one in my family has this that I know of.  I have never had anemia either but do have a lot of other symptoms that many of you have such as tiredness, shortness of breath, severe headaches, sensitivity to light, joint pain, muscle pain, sleep a lot, heavy periods, mild depression, bruise easily, always get a cold or sinus infection and take a long time to get over it.  So I am just realizing that these symptoms may have something to do with this recent diagnosis as I read your posts.  I am in my first trimester of pregnancy and am concerned because the doctors have not had any concerns of me having thal.  They even prescribed me extra Iron which I read on here isn't good for someone with thal.  Since the pregnancy I have been exhausted...slept for two days straight and have had lots of muscle pain recently.
I have Thalassemia Beta Minor and have nearly no symptoms. According to research 1 in 4 children who have one parent who has thalasemmia will not have it. It is possible that you are lucky or that the symptoms you are getting are from something else xx
I'm still in school and i have Thalassemia Beta Minor too and I have realy bad joint pain (to the extent that I have to get my mum to help me walk, get dressed etc.) and I am also very tired and this also effects my weekends etc. Apparently there is nothing you can do about Thalassemia though...

Keep your head up :)
I'm only 13 and I have Beta-Thalassemia Minor and get horrible symptoms, you're not alone trust me. Don't be scared, you just need to know how to look after your self right. I only found out that I had BTM after getting a blood test this year, I thought that I was the only one at school who couldn't do the Cross Country run (I thought I was just so unfit) but it turned out that I was feeling faint, tired and short of breath etc. Don't think to much of it and just get on with your life!
Heyyy,

I'm only 13 and I have the same problems at school. During winter we have 'Cross Country' which is where we have to run like 5 Kms but because of my Thalassemia I breath really loud like you haha and I also get dizzy, cold, out of breath, panting like a dog, and on one occasion I fainted... I also attend full day school and I have to get up at 6:45 am to get there on time and by the time I get home it's 4 pm :(. On weekdays I come home from school and have a 3 hour nap and then eat dinner, do my home work, music practice and shower and then I only get to sleep at about 11 pm. I am the music type unlike you and I have to be in 2 ensembles which one of them starts 7:15 in the morning which makes me so tired and fatigued. On weekends I barely go out anymore because I am so tired and feel unwell.
hi all I am on my third pregnancy and just found out I have BMT and supposedly graves disease. I love to sleep, I get pains in the center of my chest just about once a year, serious allergies from april to may beginning of June, migraines that are random and do not allow me to function. Im always cold and this last year suffer pain when my body touches anything cold especially my back. As most of us do I have discovered ways to cope with my different issues. But I always knew something wasnt right and the docs cant help me. Thats my issues but here is my solution! I did the daniel fast for 30days (not easy) but i felt amazing lots of energy! I maintain a vegetarian diet afterwords for 6mons felt good but nothing like that fast. I have since been on a quest to find a health natural way of life. I found yoga to be the greatest physical and mental fix. I found vitamins also help. I started selling them due to my personal response my whole family has benefited and i didn't even really notice my daughters eczema was non existent, a lump in my husbands hand went a way and my oldest daughter no longer looked sick. I am going back to my vitamins after this diagnosis and reading all comments here thank you all for the reassurance that i wasnt going crazy. I hope I can help all of you who are willing to try a different approach. My vitamins www.shop.com/gardners and I can be reach at ***@**** even if its just to chat and relate. Have faith and keep a positive attitude toward this thing called Life. much love Tannj
I agree...there definitely needs to be more research.  I am beta minor and have had symptoms all of my life...both my sons are minor and they also exhibit the so called "asymptomatic"  symptoms.
Thank you so much for your post! I do have thalessemia minor but my only concern is my rather high ferratin level. I do watch what i eat- so if i am eating foods high in iron, i will have dairy or black tea with the meal so it slows down the absorption of iron. Is this something that I need to worry about? I do look young for my age and now that you mentioned this trait, I now know which of my parents has this gene- my dad is 87 and looks much younger. Anyway, if you wish you can reply by email - belle.***@****.  Thanks so much!
Hello Amoobaa, I read you comment and I see that we both have the same aches and pains in our joints and bones like sudden sharp stabbing pains daily and I also get dizzy when I stand up. I was recently diagnosed with Beta Thalassemia Minor. I have to take 50 grams of Folic Acid daily. Do you take any Iron or Folic Acid Supplements like me? How long have you been feeling the aches and pains and feeling dizzy; and when where you diagnosed?

And I also this you should check for Thyroid and Diabetes. I thing it is a great IDEA to forming a BTM awareness thing.
Chill out. I'm sure many people here are very positive, its just that here is a good place to share symptoms and have a little moan together. Its quite nice to discover other people who fall asleep and the drop of a hat! its also a little bit funny when you really think about how many people are cursed with insomnia! Despite this 'condition' I have been able to tour and play literally thousands of concerts (see www.peyoti.com) but I must confess I suffer from all the symptoms described here and the tiredness can be a real killer, especially, after concerts parties when I end up crashing really early (sometimes). So, no… its not all bad and nobodies saying it is… ,-)
Hey i have symptoms like Foggy memory and laziness and these are killing me . I was very smart during school days and as i grew up i am feeling to become dull.  Do u have any idea and cure for this ?
I could not accomplish my days work without stopping my truck and recovering for a period, sometimes two or three times a day, and over the last couple of years the hours at work I could manage have reduced from 70 to around 60 hours per week.

My left thyroid gland was taken out around two years ago. I think it stands to reason that th also caused the bad car sickness I used to suffer from, but not my brothers and sisters.
Awesome music!  Thanks for sharing.  You must have killer schedule.  This is inspiring.  I am TBM carrier and have two kids who are also.  I am finding it affects each of them differently.  But not altogether a bad thing.  I have learned to cope and helping them to find their way.  Condition is manageable.  I found iron does help get me over energy humps when I don't eat well..  I almost never get sick.  And I do look much younger than I am.  Bonus!!  :)
Viewing 401-424 comments: