Maternal & Child Community
Can a baby begin teething at 4 months?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Can a baby begin teething at 4 months?

hello. i was wondering what you ladies think about this issue. I think my 4 month old is teething. She is SUPER drooly, crying and fussing ALL THE TIME, chewing on teethers like crazy, putting everything in her mouth, she also chews on the nipple when she eats. She had a few low grade temps of 100.2 and 100.3. When I put my finger in her mouth, she bites down really hard. Also, she is waking up screaming like 5-10 times a night! This is odd because ever since my daughter has been 3 weeks old, she has slept through the night without waking at all. What do you ladies think? My baby development books say that teething can start anywhere from 3-12 months, but 6 months is the average. I don't know what to think? Can you all help me? I'm a first timer! LOL. Thanks!
Sure they can...my husbands mom was born with two teeth....crazy! lol
Yes, teething can begin at 4 months..6 is only an average but most of my kids started showing signs of teething early around 3-4 months with their first teeth popping through between 6-9 months.
My middle son got his first 2 teeth right at 4 months.
Both of my boys showed symptoms of teething very early.  They didn't actually cut teeth until around 6 months, but they definitely started teething early.
I looked at her gums and where the two lower ones are supposed to come in there is like 2 kind of pressure lines? I looks like that is where the tooth is going to come out of?
absolutely.  my youngest dd got hers around that age, and began losing them around age 4!
My oldest had 4 teeth at 4 months, by the time he was one he had a full mouth, It was so cute, he looked like a little man! He even got molars in. My second was more average he got his first 2 at 6 months, All babies progress differently! Invest in some baby oragel!
I agree with all the ladies here and your baby has all the symptoms. All babies are different, but it is definitely possible to start teething at 4 months old. Babies are born with teeth sometimes :)
Also do try to remember that actual teething process, as in cutting teeth, generally doesn't take long. Oftentimes parents mistake newly functioning salivary glands (read:lots and lots of drooling) and mouthing of items to automatically mean teething and will start giving orajel and Tylenol at 2 months of age.

I would recommend you only start giving it, if at all, when you start to notice the red and inflamed gum tissue. I am not a fan of orajel, but rather like either the Hyland tablets or the natural soothers like a clean knuckle to knaw on (my kids loved their daddy's knuckle, it was the best soother for all three while teething) or a refridgerated washcloth.
My son popped his first tooth through at roughly 3 1/2 months old, so it can definitely happen early!

Just be watchful, though...one doctor that dx'ed an ear infection in my son told us that frequent waking with screaming/crying at night is a good indicator for ear infections.  Especially with a fever...  My son chews, drools, gets a runny nose, sometimes diarrhea and a LOW fever (99.3 for example) during teething, but he saves his nightly screaming and temps over 100 for ear infections.  Chewing CAN be a sign of a baby trying to relieve the pain/pressure in their ears.

Not to make you worry-just to say...
She has had low grade temps of 99.6 100.2 and 100.3 so far. She soaks through her shirts within hours from all of her drooling. Her gums aren't red and inflamed. They are really white at the front bottom part. Other places they are pink. IDK if it is because of the pressure that they are white like that? She chews on everything! I am pretty sure that she is teething. I check her mouth everyday to see if i feel a tooth, but nothing yet. I just noticed the behavior about a week ago though. So, I am expecting it to be a few more weeks until a tooth cuts through.