Maternal & Child Community
Can a stomach bug last this long or is something else going on?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi ladies, I don't know if you remember or not but my 4 year old had a stomach bug almost a month ago where he was throwing up all day. After that he seemed ok but would sometimes say his tummy hurt and lay down on the couch but then pop back up again to play. His stools were pretty loose for awhile, a couple of weeks probably. I did go ahead and bring him in to the Acute Care Clinic right after Christmas because his stool was green. We had them do a stool test but they never did call back with the results so we figured there must not have been anything they saw there.
Today he wanted hot cereal but threw it up before he even finished it. Now he's saying his tummy hurts. What in the world is going on?? Could a stomach bug lay dormant and then come back like that or is something else going on?

Should I make an appointment and take him in? I didn't take him in the first time for the throwing up because I figured it would just have to work itself out of his system and they'd just tell me what I already know, to give him clear liquids, etc. But now that it seems to be back I'm wondering if I should take him in or would it be another waste of time?
What do you all think?
If you have health insurance, take advantage of it, and take him back to see the pedi.

A month is an awfully long time for a "stomach bug" to hang on.

Oh, and don't take for granted that the stool culture is negative. Call and get the results.
Have you tried giving him probiotics,  April?  You can find them in the pharmacy area at Walgreens or wherever,  they're sometimes called Digestive Enzymes,  etc.  

My guess is,  the green stool over Christmas was from some kind of green christmas cookie icing, or blue gatorade.  
I don't think so, RR. His stool was green and slimy looking, almost mucousy, you know? That only last a couple of days, though. Before that, his stool was real loose, almost diarrhea. I figured all that was left over from the stomach bug. It's now been over 3 weeks, though.
He threw up again. I'm going to take him in today. I'll let you all know what happens, if you guys are interested.
Please do let us know what happens,  and wanna's suggestion was good about calling to get the prior results,  even though it's been a long time.

Hope it goes well for him today -
I got an appointment. It's in 3 hours. I'll ask the doctor to check his records for the stool results at that time.
Thanks everybody.
Now he's saying "OW OW My tummy hurts!" Does the stomach normally HURT with a stomach bug? I thought it would just be a SICK feeling. Gosh, I hope he's ok! Our appointment is in 2 hours. Wish us luck!
i wonder if it's an intolerance... perhaps lactose intolerance? that does a number on a person.

let us know how it goes... poor guy
Have you noticed a pattern of when his tummy hurts? Perhaps it IS lactose intolerance or something of the sort. I also think one month is way too long for the bug to linger. Yes, call and get the results of the stool test; I cannot believe they have not called you. My goodness! I'm glad you're taking him in to see the doctor again. Better to be safe. Good luck and please let us know how he's doing, the poor baby :(
Well, that was a waste of time. I kind of figured it would be. They were so backlogged and busy today, they were an hour late seeing me and then the doctor was rushing in and out because he had another child he was trying to take care of. He said he didn't want to do any blood tests because he doesn't think it's appendicitis or anything like that. He thinks it's just another stomach bug. He said he was acting ok and I could probably take him to the park! I told him that he wasn't acting normal, he was much more subdued than usual and talking in a quiet voice. He also was pale. But I guess that's to be expected since he's sick. He fell asleep on the car ride home, again not normal behavior for him. I can't believe he told me to take him to the park! This doctor barely looked at him, although he did push on his tummy and looked in his mouth. He said his throat looked a little red so he ordered a rapid strep test. That came back negative. The stool test from 12 days ago showed negative too.
I told him I wouldn't normally bring him in for throwing up but this has been twice in one month now. He hardly ever gets sick, maybe once or twice a year, so for him to be sick and throwing up twice in a month I thought was unusual. It must really be a bad stomach bug.
I am seeing the doctor again tomorrow because he was supposed to sign some papers for me. My son is supposed to get some teeth filled at the end of the month and they wanted the doctor to sign a paper saying he can be sedated. I hope he'll be well enough by then. Maybe tomorrow they won't be so busy and the doctor can spend a little more time with us. We'll see.

He hasn't eaten all day. He's thrown up several times, even in the car to the doctor appointment (yeah, but he's doing fine! And he can go to the park! Sheesh). I'm glad I thought to throw a towel in the car before we left. That was real fun! Ugh, I can take a lot of things, even poopy diapers but throwing up gets me every time!
I tried to get him to eat some chicken noodle soup tonight but he only took a couple of bites and went and laid back down on the couch. I gave him some Pedialyte and he did drink a little of that and some water. I guess all I can do is keep an eye on him and hope that this passes through his system quickly.
Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know. I will see how he does tomorrow. Thanks, guys!
April,  reading through your story I'm remembering my oldest son had bouts like that.  Where his stomach just KEPT hurting.  My younger son has bouts where he throws up in cycles too - LONG cycles,  he'll vomit every couple days.  

I wonder if this might be related to his unfilled cavities?  
I don't think so, RR. They said the cavities were real small. That's why we were able to put it off for a little while.
Did they ever figure out why your kids were throwing up so much?

April, I am so sorry that you did not get any answers form your doctor.  I would be so mad that they did not even take the time to do a proper exam.  If it were me, I would go to the ER and see if there is a good doctor there who is willing to LISTEN to what you have to say.  It is not normal for a "bug" to hang on that long.  Go and DEMAND that they do some blood work to see what is going on.  Poor kid is probably so miserable.  You know him better than anyone, if you feel something is not right, then you have to make sure that that someone listens to you.  I truely believe in Mother's intuition (sp).  Listen to you heart and do what needs to be done.  PLease feel free to PM me anytime.  Hope he gets better soon.  Kasie
I took him back in to the doctor's today. The doctor was a little concerned because he looked dehydrated and more listless today. He ordered a blood test and urinalysis on him. I just got the call back. He said his glucose was 70 so we need to get some sugars in him. He also said his urine had a lot of ketones in it, showing his body is burning protein instead of carbohydrates. He said I really need to push the liquids, at least 2 ounces every 15 minutes and if I can't get at least a quart of liquids in him by tonight that I will need to take him to Acute Care and get an IV in him. I really don't want to do that! He said he's not critical yet but he's borderline.
I've been trying to get him to drink water, juice and I even bought some Pedialyte. I just now went out and bought some of the Pedialyte Popsicles. I'm going to try that.
He did just now eat a banana, some crackers and a little applesauce so I'm encouraged about that and that he didn't throw it up. Now if I can just get him to drink some more I think we'll be ok!!
My two year old daughter is doing the samething. I had her in to the Hospital on Tuesday Night of last week. They put her on I.V. cause she could not hold any liquids or even the gravol. It has been a week she's okay during the day time but at night time is when she throws up. She keeps saying tummy hurt, mommy.
I have been to see our family doctor and he said she is fine but we have to do a urine sample.
I do not understand why they did not do this when we were in the hospital or even take blood tests.
My daughter had the samething in Sept and lots before this too. The same symptoms and everything but now she's getting it more frequently now.
I have no idea what to do. I have called the Health Link and talked to them too. They said it can take a couple more days because they do not have anti-bodies to fight it off like adults do.
I believe there is more to it then they know.
What should I do???
Hi everyone, all of you need to research gastroenteritis and food born illnesses or infectious diseases. This will help you all out a lot. Being aware of the causes, symptoms and why it persists. Just a note, when your child starts vomiting or has diarrhoea stop all dairy products except breast fed (seek urgent advise for babies,) give clear fluids very frequently, even if they keep being sick, (keep in the cupboard always for those emergencies that mostly start in the am hours) try gastrolyte, the gastrolyte icypoles, gatourade, avoid sugary drinks and juices they will not help, if your child becomes lethargic might be dehydrated, if your concerned ring nurse on call, your doctor, health nurse or a hospital for advice. Keep up the fluids and when they become hungry dry toast or a scraping of nuttelex (dairy free) dry biscuits, watery soup only, (chicken or beef stock, carrots & celery) made to taste, don't use packet soups they have msg and other nasties in them, do this for as long as it takes 3-10 days. Wait before giving in, bugs love to eat to! Keep up good hygiene, wash your hands consistently after and during helping children, once your all well again, keep up good hand washing which keeps these bugs away. Use liquad sanitizer and liquad hand soap, soap bars hold bacteria once wet. Wash all foods always! If you do all this you'll hardly every be unwell and thats got to be a better way to live! Enjoy
This exact thing is happening to my son more than three years later. Can u please tell me what you found out thanks
Curious. My son has the same thing. Almost three years later. What did you find out?