Maternal & Child Community
Can pregnancy symptoms fluctuate?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Can pregnancy symptoms fluctuate?

Hi eveyone. After being off BC for 4 ys, and trying really hard for 8 mo, my husband and I FINALLY got pregnant (starting wk 6). Because of some assymetrical cramping, they started doing HCG titers; on 10/5 131, on 10/7 239 (did not double). I had some spotting for a few days after the pap done on my first prenatl visit. This morning some of the symptoms I had a few days ago (VERY tender breasts, cramps, nausea) are gone/going away. I thought maybe the symptoms could fluctuate with when I would have had my normal period (would have ended today), as some people spot or bleed when they would have had thiers...but I'm starting to freak out. My next HCG isn't until Mon, 10/11. Should, for example, the breast tenderness/fullness only get worse and worse until the 2cnd trimester, or can it all fluctuate?
I am 5.5 weeks now and have found that my symptoms vary depending on the day and hour!  I am happy when the queasies don't reappear.  My breasts are sore, but I don't notice as much b/c I think I am adjusting to it. However, a complete absence of symptoms (not feeling pregnant any more) can be a bad sign.  Unfortunately, it seems that you will just have to wait for the next HCG test.  I've found that the waiting process can be heartbreaking and stressful.  I've had three blood tests now (all doubling), but still worry.  I have an u/s for 10/15 at 6.5 weeks, has you dr. scheduled one for you?  That is the best gauge of the pg.
They will do the ultrasound when/if my HCG levels reach 1500, which, if all goes well should be at the end of net week.
I am just a few days behind you, my levels were at 986 on Wednesday (5 weeks 2 days).  But not everyone's increases at the same speed.  The research I've seen suggests that the higher the HCG levels the more likely it is that they will see something on u/s.  Do you have any spotting or bleeding?
I wil hope for the best for you but I will share my experience with you. I have had three miscarriages and mine would start with a little pink blood then the cramps would start followed by red blood. With my first miscarriage which the fetus stopped growing at 6 weeks even though I miscarried around 10 weeks we didn't check HCG levels. With my next two m/'s we started to measure my HCG level and yes they too didn't double - they didn't drop but they weren't going up by much. It's usually not a good sign but you never know. When I got pregnant for the fourth time the doctor started me on hormone(HCG) injections his thought was I wasn't producing enough of the progesterone needed to support a pregnancy since they were all lost around 6 weeks measurement. But at the same time we started these injections I also refused to have a pap smear! Just because with two of the miscarriages it was within days of having it I started to spot. So when you said that it made me think about what I went through. When I told my doctor why I didn't want to have the pap she said I wasn't the first patient to feel that way and she understood so I didn't have one with my fourth pregnancy until weeks after I delivered my daughter!!! Now I'm sure it was the injections I was taking that helped this pregnancy but it's still in the back of my mind having a pap done early on. So I am currently pregnant now with my second child and again I refused the pap smear but I went a head and had it done at 20weeks because the doctor reassured me my changes of miscarry at 20weeks was slim. But I just don't think it's good being up there disturbing things so early in the pregnancy and of course with my miscarriage history I was not to have sex or workout until I was 3 1/2 months along with both pregnancies. Try to stay positive I will be thinking of you - your not alone I know exactly how you are feeling right now...it's a waiting game and that's so hard. I swore I wasn't going to be able to have babies and I am now 25weeks pregnant with my second.....it will happen...
As far as symptoms go, mine fluctuate also. im almost 9 wks and I had the same question for the girls. For 2 weeks straight i had all the symptoms then one day i woke up and they were gone. Now there back!!!! Good luck with everything!
Just wanted to ask . . . I am on my fourth pg this year, 3 mc.  The dr. has not said anything about not having sex during the first trimester, but one of the nurses said some couples abstain.  I am on heparin (high ACA), progesterone and baby aspirin.  We have mostly abstained, but you always just wonder (or at least I do)?  What did your dr. say?
Thank you all so much for your responses. I wondered about having the pap; I guess I just assumed that they wouldn't do it if there was a risk of disturbing the pregnancy. I spotted afterwards but this has alomost completely stopped. By the way, I miscounted. I am 5 weeks today; so my earlier HCG's were from 4wks 3d, and 4wks 5d respectively. Thank all of you again, for sharing your expereinces with me; it is such a comfort.
I believe that your symptoms can fluctuate but I have read that if you are having symptoms and they all of a sudden disappear you need to see your dr.  Your levels should be doubling every 48 hours.  Do not give up hope just yet.  Try to stay calm until tomorrow and see what your levels turn out to be.  I hope all goes well with you.  I know how devestating it is to lose a baby.  I was 12 weeks along last year in Sept when I went in for a routine u/s and they could not find a heartbeat.  I do have to tell you that I did wake up one morning and I felt wonderful and full of energy and I thought it was just the start of the second trimester but I had lost the baby and I think that is why my symptoms were gone.  I had a D&C the very next day after my u/s.  Good Luck to you and let us know how it goes.
Why does your doctor want to do a pap? Mine hasn't suggested it either time.
Debra
I hope that this doesn't bring back too many painful memories, but I am going on 13 weeks and am starting to feel more energy, less pregnant.  I know that I worry too much, but did you have a u/s prior to being 12 weeks?  I had one at 10 and everything looked good but they won't do another one until 19 weeks.  I'm just so worried that I'll mc and not even know it.
I hope that this doesn't bring back too many painful memories for you, but did you have any u/s prior to the one at 12 weeks?  I ask only because I am almost 13 weeks and suddenly feel as though I'm no longer pregnant.  I don't want to be one of those people bugging my doctor all the time.  I had an u/s done at 10 weeks and everything looked good.  I'm not due to see my doctor for another 2 weeks.  I'm just curious to know if you had any warning signs.
sorry for the repeat posting, I didn't think the first one went through.
Your symptoms are supposed to subside after 12 weeks. I think you are fine.
Debra
Just wanted yall to know I got my new levels today; from 231 on Thurs to 960 today. Yeah!
Hi everyone,
I am 9W4D pregnant as of today. I had good amount of morning sickness since 61/2 weeks and it disappeared at 9W3D(yesterday). I was a nervous wreck and so I called the doctor and made up some excuse to get the u/s done yesterday and luckily the baby was doing just fine. Normal growth and the good hb of 168b/min. I was so relived yesterday.
Though i am happy about feeling better, today in the corner of my heart...I keep asking why would this morning sickness go away so early? Though I sound crazy....i really need answers from u ladies!.
The doctor said that everything was fine yesterday and asked me to meet after 5 weeks!!!!( i am sure i will go crazy by then!)
PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTION TO PUT MY MIND AT EASE.........
Exp. today i am feeling lot better and no symptoms except for some freq. urination(i beleive!!!)

THANKS,
AJ
I have two kids aged 9 and 7 and we are currently trying for a 3rd. But the worry about fluctuating pregnancy symptoms is one i am well aquainted with, as I have also had multiple pregnancy losses. I don't want to cause anyone stress, but if you all are anything like me you will want as much information as you can get. Fluctuating symptoms, for me at least, has not been a good sign - each time my pregnancy symptoms (particularly breast tenderness) have fluctuated - I have had a miscarriage. The last one, i had an U/S at 6 weeks and 5 days and they saw a heart beat and said everything was fine. But I wasn't convinced because my breasts were sore one day and fine the next and i had little to no morning sickness. At 9 1/2 weeks I started bleeding and had an U/S and the baby had died. They said it had died at 6w 5d, (in other words it died right after the U/S).
Having said that, statistics say that if a heartbeat is detected there is only a 5% chance of pregnancy loss, so AJ, if you have had an U/S and they detected a strong heart after 9 weeks - i think your chances are pretty good. Also morning sickness can stop as early as 9 weeks, everyone and every pregnancy is different. In my first sucessful pregnancy (girl) i was REALLY sick (all day) until week 15, in my second (boy) i was only mildly sick until 11 1/2 weeks. If you don't feel sick anymore - it doesn't have to mean something is wrong.
I am now 4 weeks pregnant and my breasts are sore one day but not the next, infact, today one is sore and the other isn't. So basically, i am not allowing myself to be too hopeful this time, but it is early days.
I know how hard it is very hard to get ones hopes up - only to have them fall again. And it is the waiting that is the worst. I just keep reminding myself that it can still work out even if one has to ride an emotional rollercoaster to get there. And there is no doubt that it is definately worth all the past pain when your baby is born!
I'm 6 weeks and 2 days pregnant, and it all happened so suddenly. I went off the pill, and in my first month off and the first time having sex I got pregnant. I found out I was pregnant at 3 weeks, which is sooo soon to find that out compared to most people. So ever since the big news, I have been thinking so negatively about if this pregnancy will last. I read every day on the computer things that I feel going on in my body and how common it is to get pregnant after immediately going off the pill. The miscarrieage rate is apparently higher in that situation....I had a corpus luteus cyst to start and thats how I found out I was pregnant, they did a transvaginal ultrasound at 4.5 weeks and saw a heartbeat, so I'll try to stay positive and hope things go accordingly. I also hardly have any symptoms at all.