Maternal & Child Community
Can somebody please explain what these numbers mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I just went to the doctor again today.  I am 32 weeks.  He said that I am 50% efaced.  Is this pretty normal at this stage in my pregnancy?  He also mentioned 1 1/2 to 2 cm.  I'm not sure if that meant that I was dilated to that or if that also had to do with efacement.  This is my first pregnancy and my doctor doesn't explain very much.  I have been seeing him every week since I started to dilate back at 28 weeks.  Thanks in advance for any comments!
The effacement sounds nromal and the dialtion would be the cm. Are you on any type of Bedrest?
I'm not on strict bedrest.  The doctor just said to take it easy.  He doesn't want me working and he said just to be sure and get lots of rest, put my feet up, and call him if I have more that 4 contractions within an hour.  He is seeing me every week.  He said a few weeks ago that he would like me to go at least 34 weeks, but it would be nice if I could go to 37 weeks because then I could bring the baby home with me.  Last week he said that it is possible that I could go full term.  Does it sound like I may go early?
Efacement is the softening/thinning of the cervix which allows for delivery of your baby.  The 1 to 1 1/2 means that you are dialating, your cervix is opening.  I have a condition called an incompetent cervix which they can't detect until you have a preterm baby.  The good news is you are already at 32 weeks even if born now your baby has a very good survival rate, I had my first baby at 25 weeks and it was not a good experience (she is now 15).  Your dr should have put you on bed rest that strikes me as odd that he/she didn't.  Just take it easy and follow your doctors advice, everything should be okay. Good Luck!
Just to clarify, effacement refers to the thinning of the cervix, while dilation refers to the opening of the cervix. The cervix generally starts to thin out first, and then open either at the end of the pregnancy or during labour.  I think that the numbers you mention are fairly normal.  With both of my pregnancies I had a 'jump start' on my labour : I think with my first it started around 32 weeks at about 50% effaced and 1cm open, with my second it started earlier, around 27 weeks, and 1 or 1.5 cm, and by around 34 weeks I was 3 cm dilated and 70 % effaced.  I delivered both of my babies in the 40th week, actually a couple of days past due date, and everything was perfectly normal.  
Make sure you don't make any major physical effort and don't go past your limits in any way (energy, stress, etc.), but otherwise relax and live your normal life.  And enjoy this time !  Pay attention to your contractions : my midwife advised me that any more than 8-10 per day or 4 within an hour, I had to lie down and call her.  With the second baby I took it really easy in the last 2-3 months, as the head was really low and I contracted a lot, but it still wasn't a very serious condition.  
I know many women who effaced and/or dilated significantly in the last 3 months of their pregnancies and delivered healthy babies full-term.  Good luck to you !
You may or may not go early. I know women that have walked around for a month or longer at 3 cm. Definately rest as much as you can and call you doc if you feel something is not right. I am praying I get to 37 or 38 weeks but no longer. I had 3 bouts of PTL with DD and she came right at 38 weeks.
And make sure your doctor answers your questions !!!
I would be careful and take it easy. I was dilated to 2 and thinned out at 34wks and they put me on two weeks of bed rest. DD was born at 37 weeks. I walked around dilated to 3 and thinned out 75% for over a week and started having contractions quickly and here she is....

Other posts are right in saying that you could stay this way for the rest of your term, but you do need to pay attention to what is going on with you. If you feel something just isn't quite right, get checked out! Good luck!
Thanks a lot for all of your comments!  I swear sometimes, especially after I've been on my feet for any length of time or even after a car ride, I feel like she is about to come right out. Doctors can sometimes be extremely intimidating.