Maternal & Child Community
Can toddlers overdose on Vitamin D?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Can toddlers overdose on Vitamin D?

My son is almost three and my daughter is 16 months. They found a bottle of Vitamin D. I cann't be sure how many they actually ate. They were alone for about 1-2 minutes, if that long, so I don't think that coul have actually ate that many in that short of time. Should I be worried? Could they overdose? What should I be looking for?
There is such a thing as Vitamin D toxicity, but it is pretty rare, usually happening to someone who has been overdosing on Vitamin D for a long time.  Were they adult-formula tablets, or made for kids?  Given the couple of minutes they had to act on the impulse, plus the probable less-than-delicious taste of the tablets (I assume they're adult formula because I haven't ever seen any Vitamin D made for kids, i.e., tasting sweet), I don't think I would worry about it much.  Of course, if you think they somehow gulped a lot of them in that time (like, if they are a sweet formulation that tastes like candy), you could call the Poison Control people just to find out what symptoms to watch for.  But given how hard it is to get a child to take a pill when you want them to, I can't imagine they would have taken (not sweet) Vitamin D pills in any quantity.