Maternal & Child Community
Can you get pregnant even when your not ovulating?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I was just wondering if anybody knew if you can get pregnant even if your not ovulating.  Because I read everywhere that you can only get pregnant when you are ovulating.  And I dont think i was ovulating when i got pregnant.  I got pregnant a week before my period was due.  I am so confused.  so if anybody knows anything about this, please get back to me.  Thank you much
jaime
You usually ovulate around the 14th day after your period. Everyone is different. In fact, I got pregnant on the pill during my period....go figure on that one!!!
Hi lilmaime...

Sperm can live up to 5 days inside you.
The egg can live up to 24 hours (I belive)...

So, If you have intercourse 5 days before (or sooner) you ovulate, when the egg is released, it can still be fertilized.

I think the time period after ovulation is much shorter as it takes time for the sperm to "swim" to where they need to be.

So, yes, you have to ovulate to get pregnant.. But the time doesn't have to be right-on, and it's not that easy to know when you're ovulating.

Congrats on both your pregnancies!
-Heather
I just wanted to let you know that I also am very late on my ovulation about 18 to 20 days after my period and time between cycles is anywhere from 31 to 38 days, so yes you probably ovulate later than the normal but so do alot of us!Good to know for the next time.
Yes you definitly have to ovulate to get pregnant. Otherwise there would be no egg to fertilize. It sounds like you just ovulated later in cycle. If youve never tracked before, it could be that you always ovulate late in your cycle. I do.
Can someone tell me how do you know when you are ovulating. I don't know when I do and would like to know.
hello my name is ****** and i had sex to days after my period and i dont know when i ovulate but me and my boyfriend  had sex on the 11th and the 13th and he *** in me both times  and now i got sickly belly ache and i was wondering could i be pregnant  
Booboo,  this discussion is 10 years old so you might want to start a new thread.  

But to answer your question,  yes,  you can get pregnant at any time of the month if you ovulate kind of irregularly.  

It sounds like you're saying you had sex two days after your period ended (is that what you're saying?) but you've got two days listed here - the 11th and 13th - which might be two and four days after your period ended.

If you're  young and so is the guy,  you're in to the fertile window here so you may be pregnant.  Wait until after your period is late to test.
i came of on the 11th and had sex then and had sex on the 13th as well
Hi can someone help me please im very confused ummm i forgot when i had my period last month in feburary and me and my boyfriend had sex march 11 i dont know when my next period comes is there a posability i might be pregnant plus do you have to be ovulating to get pregnant or can you get pregnant anytime
Hi there ,
Iv been reading up of ovulation heaps,
Just too get simple facts.
My period is due the 11th of every month ,
An my partner and I had intercourse the 24th of this  month. Unprotected ,
I was looking at the ovulation calendar and typed in what I needed too and it said I wasn't ovulating
So we had sex.
What are the chances of me getting pregnant ......
I guess my son was a miracle baby I haven't came on my period since I was a18 years of age and had my baby when I was 22 years of age.