Maternal & Child Community
Can you go to dentist in early pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am newly preggers (about 4.5 weeks) and I chipped one of my back teeth a while back (too lazy to go get it fixed) and ended up chipping more of it yesterday. The tooth is beyond repair so I'm thinking about just getting it pulled altogether but I'm worried about doing this since I am preggers. Wouldn't they have to give me something for the pain which i don't think I can take b/c I'm pregnant (the pain isn't unbearable its just very nagging). Has anyone gone to the dentist while preggers....

I know I should acll the dentist but I work in a cube and don't want my co-workers to know that I am preggers yet so don't want to have this conversation over the phone...

Any input is greatly apprecaited. Thanks!
first dont assume it has to be pulled. you would be surprised what can be done to save teeth these days. molars are important, when you pull a tooth, the tooth opposite (meaning the one upper or lower to that tooth) will extrude, meaning continue to grow till it reaches something. anyway, you can have treatment. the dentist will have to get an ok from your ob. they can double sheild you to take an xray. radiation from xrays today are so minute that you will be fine. it has to be xrayed for repair or extraction or just to make a diagnosis. dont let it go, should infection build up you dont want that while pg plus the pain will be too much. good luck, get your teeth cleaned too while you are at it if it has been over  months. good way to start your pg with wish a clean mouth.
They would probably have to freeze your mouth to pull out a tooth.  Then tylenol for pain.  I cant see that being a problem but I would call your dentist a nd tell them your 4 weeks pregnant and ask if its safe.  Then call your dr. and ask him.  Hope you feel better soon and congratulations again on your pregnancy!
freeze? im not sure what you mean by that. dentists dont freeze they use anesthetic. ive only been out of the dental fielf for a year, im sure it hasnt changed that much lol.
Well I have a tooth that needs to be pulled ( a crown that did not work well and no hope for tooth).  Anyhow, I am 21 wks now and have had this semi-loose tooth since before preg.  I am avoiding the dentist 100%.  I did have an xray with 2 protector guards on me when I wasn't confirmed I was preg.

However, I am choosing to wait til I have the baby to do any dentistry work.  I don't want them to give me a prescription at all and since it is not painful right now, I am holding off.

I know they say there is LYDOCAINE that is supposedly okay to be used when getting work done, but NOT EPINEPHRIN.  But, I would assume if you get something pulled, they will prescribe you an antibiotic of somesort to take so there's no bacteria.

I guess it's the pain factor you have to worry about.  If not pain, I'd wait.  If pain, then I'd talk to your doctor first and be well educated before sitting down with the dentist and knowing what they will use on you.....I would call the dentist first to have them explain it to you on what they need to do and/ or prescribe and then run it by your doctor......then go from there.

They say being preg. you are supposed to go the dentist and get teeth cleaned and all that, but I don't care what they say.  I'm not taking any risks til after.  But, that's me.

But if I were forced on getting it pulled, due to agonizing pain and possible infection which could be worse, you may not have a choice.  

JT
Actually, you are at more risk if you neglect a dental problem during pregnancy, as this can be linked to possible preterm labor and pregnancy complications.

If your dentist and OB are in agreement that dental work can be safely done, and both agree it should be done, you are safer having it done than waiting.

My big concern too on going to the dentist, was getting passed the 1st trimester...I didn't want anything in my body as far as chemicals of any sort that could pose a risk to development.

I heard one lady on the forum state she miscarried after a dentist procedure, but that doesn't mean the procedure or meds caused the m/c, but for me, I don't want to take any risk.  I am just like that.

JT

Yes, I know what you mean there, but there is no infection and no pain, so I can deal with a loose tooth for now.  I agree that infection is worse, but in my circumstance, that's not the case right now.

JT
Well, good.  Best of luck.  
Thanks ladies for the input. I'm not in alot of pain right now but worried of infection and think that'll ask my dr and dentist and see what they say. I just want this tooth gone right now....it really nagging.
do what you have to do, the less stress you have the better. good luck i hope you feel better soon!!
They usually say wait till 2nd trimester to do any dental work just because its a lot more safer. When I was 17wks pregnant I had a tooth pulled as well and things went fine. Yeah, they had to numb me. I have had a few dental xrays, and they gave me pain meds afterwards which I DIDN'T take because my OB didn't like me taking loratab too much unless I really needed it. Now I'm 20wks and going strong. So dental work isn't a big deal however if you can wait till wk 13 or 14 I would try. But talk to your OB and dentist.
I used to tell my patients to wait until the second trimerster to have their teeth cleaned but if you're in pain or if there is a chance the condition will get worse, they wouldn't make you wait (if it can wait, they'll just tell you to come back when you're 12+ weeks).  I would definitely contact your dentist and go in for a check up.  Good luck