Maternal & Child Community
Can you still conceive during withdrawal bleeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hello Guys!

I stopped my pills on the 6th of September in order to get pregnant, i didnt complete the whole pack, so i started to bleed early, on the 10th of September. My period wasnt due until the 24th September. I was due to ovulate on the 11th of September or so, the last time i had intercourse was on the 8th and 9th of September and they say sperm lives for up to 3-5 days. I was wondering if even during the bleeding(Which lasted five days) i could have still conceived, like i said, i was due to O on the 11th, but am worried the egg may have shed along with the bleeding before the sperm got a chance to implant. I was told if i had conveived before the 10th, i would not have gotten the withdrwal bleeding, obviously i didnt.

Has anyone or anyone you know, gotten pregnant during a bleeding, wether its a period or withdrwal bleeding. i was told you you can still conveive during bleeding, but i wanted to hear it from someone it actually happened to.

Hoping to hear from you soon XXXX
Baby Dust to you!!
Yes, it is possible you are preggo.  Wait until you are a week late and test.  Good luck.
Thank you!

Keeping my fingers crossed. i had only been on the pills since April, how hard will it be before i can conceive, they say it takes a while when u have been on the pill for a certian amount of time.

By the way, i want some sort or comfirmation, am truly excited lol, has this happened to you  or anyone you know or were u told by a realiable source it can happen, perhaps from a doctor?

Baby Dust to all!
To answer your question I was on the pill for 12 years due to endometriosis. I went off just this past July in order ttc. My doc told me that the pill should be out of my system within 3 months. Now I was on it for years and you were just on for a few months. I see no reason why you could not conceive quickly.
Well, I was on bc pill for 8 years.  On July 4, 2004 I stopped in the middle of a pack.  I started my period within a couple of days, and I didnt have another period.  We conceived around July 22, 2004 (about 3 weeks after I got off the pill).  I tested on August 12, 2004 when I was 3-4 days late and got a BFP (big fat positive) HPT (home preg. test).  That is what I am basing my opinion on.  Good luck to you!
I wish I were that lucky.... I also stopped in the middle of my pack and get an immediate period. We ttc immediately, no luck yet though... This next week will be our third month trying. My doc told me that my uterus is tipped way back. I wonder if laying on my stomach rather than my back after intercourse would help?   Anyone else have the same situaution as me?
I would prop my hips up on a pillow afterward for about 20 minutes.  Plus, we baby danced every day instead of worrying about trying to "hit" the right day.  Good luck!
Sounds good I will give it a try. That is the other thing I wonder about. Some doctors say have sex everyday. Others say every other day and then some say no sex 3 days prior to ovulation.   I wish the healthcare industry would make up their minds...  Not that my hubby minds everyday sex!!! :)
Yes, baby dancing everyday worked for us.  Just try not to stress, it takes away the fun and adds pressure.  It could make it harder to get preggo.  As far as doing it everyday....he will get used to it and even after you are preggo will wonder why he cant have it everyday.  Trust me, at 8-9 months preggo, after gaining 50 pounds and having swollen feet, hands, ankles, everything....SEX is the last thing I wanted.  LOL!!!
I know exactly what you mean about the stress thing. I am such a pain in the butt. When I really want something I stress out until I have it. Getting preggo means the world to us. I just turned 30 and this is my first time ttc. Being this "old" freaks me out and I hope it will happen soon. I even stress over being on the pill so long I wonder if I am even ovulating normally. Time will tell though!!
My sister in law was 31 or 32 when they started trying and she felt that way.  They started tryingin Oct and by Feb was still not preggers.  She bought ovulation sticks or something and got pregnant by March.  So, I guess those may work.
That is wonderful to hear. It only took her 5 months! That is right there in the normal time frame.  I am also going to get the OPK (sticks). I figure any little thing that helps I am going to do!!!  How many children do you have and what are their ages?
I have one little boy and he is 5 and half months old.  He is awesome!  He has 2 teeth coming in and laughs all the time.  He looks like a little pumpkin!
He sounds like a cutie!!!!  Plan on anymore down the road?
Yes, but not anytime really soon.  I dont think I will have another until we can afford for me to stay at home.  It kills me to have to send him to daycare everyday.  :(
Once I have my young un' I will be in the same boat as you. I will have to return to work and put the baby in daycare at 12 weeks old. That is very hard to imagine.  
My sister who I swear gets pregnant just thinking about baby dancing ( 4 girls under the age of 7)!! She has never had to put any of her girls in day care. I guess we cannot all marry guys that make loads of money.   I sure suck at wininng the lotto. :)
About the sex thing, I'm confused. I work at a lab and we do sperm checks here, and we tell the patients NO SEX for 3 days prior for accurate results, etc. So is it ok to have sex every day, or every other day when TTC??? Confused =(~

"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you;"
Jeremiah 1:4
Every other day seems to be the pattern of choice.  If you do it every single day then it tends to wear you out and supposedly if a guy is worn out and not really revved up then his sperm count is lower.  So they recommend every other day because it's just as effective at producing a pg (because the sperm live inside the womans body for 48 hours +/-) without wearing you both out.  

And, as gonza said, if you just plan to do it every other day then you don't have to worry about calculating when you will ovulate and it takes a lot of the stress out of ttc.
If you are trying to conceive, relax and enjoy yourself.  Do it when the mood hits, not when you are supposed to.  Too many people test temps, chart days, etc.  It takes away the fun.  I know some may have to because they have been trying forever, but I think docs say that anywhere up to a year is normal for how long it takes to get preggo.  I know people who have gotten preggo immediately and then second time around took forever.  There is no set time frame.  RELAX!!!  ENJOY!!!  It will come eventually.
D,

I was on the pill since the birth of my son in Mar '01.  I stopped the pill May 21st of this year (I completed the pack except for the sugar pills)  I conceived June 6th or 7th and got a BFP on the 20th of June the day before AF was due.  Hubby and I did the baby dance either every day or every other day....anything is possible, I knew someone that got off the pill mid cycle for only one week (she realized the timing wasn't good) and got back on only to find out a few weeks later she was already pregnant, so anything is possible!!!

Good luck!
Poetgirl, just want to thank you for "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you;"
Jeremiah 1:4
I go in on Friday for an i/u/s for them to find my baby's heartbeat (they did not find it last week and the doc is concerned). I needed to see the scripture and just want you to know that the Lord used you in my life today! Thanks!

To the poster, I was on birth control for 10 years to regulate my body from bleeding all the time. The doctor told me that it only takes 3 mo for them to get out of your body. I'm not sure I totally believe that, BUT different strokes for different folks. Try not to stress about whether you are preg or not :) Wait a week and take a test :) For me, we have been trying for 3 1/2 years and have done everything in fertility. I will keep you in my prayers! The Lord knows the exact time you are supposed to have a child and they are all blessings from Him :)
Hey Everyone!!

As i explained before i had withdrwal bleeding 4 days after i stopped the pill, my last actual period was the 28 of August and i stopped the pill on the 6th of september and had withdrwal bleeding on the 1oth. i have the 28th day cycle. should i count my withdrwal bleeding as my period and expect my period to come 28 days after it started or count from my actuall period that i had on the 28th August. counting from my actual period, my next period is due on the 24th of Sep and counting from my withdrwal bleeding its due the 7th of october, i want to take a test but not sure when i should.

Any advise guys, which period should i count from??
First one I was 26 then 28(18 months apart) then 37 (suprise package deal)
welcome! 30 old??????????I am gonna cry! I am 31! and i have a 5 month old. but I also have a 10 year old and 6 year old. I do have to say i feel old sometimes with this one. he wears me out faster than the other ones did in my younger days! Yea, ole" cinnamon is the ancient one around here! Just joking honey! Actually I am sure she will put me straight...there are a couple of older ones on here! Again.....welcome and I am sure you will get alot of great advice and laughs around here! Danielle
Thank goodness!  Cinn and I were worried you were out shopping with that credit card.  WHEW!  LOL!
hun....... i would never take offense! Discover.......hmmmmmm.....yep , one i owe on!
Just remember, once you pay them off and stop using them they will try to suck you back in.  Credit card companies are like drug dealers.  Once you kick the habit, the offer you more and more until you cant resist.  Resist the temptation!  When I paid Discover off, they sent me a new one with a $5000 limit.  HELLO!  I immediatly cut it and called and told them to stop harassing me.  It should be against the law.  I get applications by the handfuls everyday in the mail and just tear them up and throw them away.  You have to resist the temptation!
Harley girl--OLD DID YOU SAY OLD!!
31..Heck I just had my last one at 37! It worked even through a vasectomy!!

Gonza--Hey hun , if your waiting until you can afford it It will never happen!!! TRUST me!
You just manage somehow, some way,I can rememver having two kids in diapers, formula for one, paying a babysitter all for the 8.00 /hour!!
We managed Now we make three times as much and have no more than before
Heck all ya need is love!!
You will be happy to know that both times I went of BC I got preggo before I got AF.

Not to scare you but when I went off in April I did so mid cycle and had some break through bleeding on Apr 12, found out I was preggers on May 12. On May 25 I miscarried. I dont believe they are connected but I just wanted to share my experience.
She is going to kill you for that gonza!!...lol
We are just kidding!!!
Did you cut them up???????? If your like me your saying No i didnt cut them up I just wont use them!!!..Yah right!!
IVE BEEN THERE!!

We are just joking what you do is your business Like I said I will love you anyway! After all we all have bad habits...Well except me Once I was told I was perfect!!...LOL.
Of course I am kidding (ask Discover how perfect I am).  About 4 years ago I owed them $1500-$2000 AND I had no job.  I was a student with no income.  Why did they even give me one?  Girl, I am joking with you!  Please dont take offense!!!
you all kill me! Nope, not out with the cards and YES i did cut them up girls!
Round of drinks on me!!! Yea for Shubunkin!!!
Yep the BIG 30!!!  Heck I was way too busy riding Harleys and trying to tame my wild husband to have a baby before. Now we are finally ready emtionally and financially.
Just turned 30 and trying for first.   How old were you with your first one??
am still not sure though, wether or not to count from my withdrwal bleeding or to count from my last actual period. i want to try at the right time as well as to know when to take a test. i f am counting from my actual AF, my period is due in two days, but if am counting from my withdrwal bleeding, my AF is due october 7th,which period should i consider my actual period? Help Guys!
This may be too personal, but what was your withdrawal bleeding like spotting or more like an actual period? I am asking because I too stopped birth control mid-cycle on September 6th. I did not originally do it to get pregnant, but now I think I might be. The only bleeding I had was on September 9th and it was extremely light spotting that only lasted for a couple of hours. I emailed an OBGYN and he told me that a test would be probably be accurate on the 26th (assuming I haven't seen AF by then). I don't really know what to think...or where to count from, so I don't know when I'm technically late. My husband and I weren't planning a baby right now, but we will still be thrilled if we have get to have one. Let me know how things go for you!
Well it lasted five days, it was red with a little clotting, not much, it was light enough for it to take the whole day to fill up a panty liner, i kept watching it lol. it was thick though, not sure if this is toom much inof but it had actually had clear parts in it, when i rubbed the tissue togeather, it resembled the wetness you get when you are moist and ready for sex. Am not sure, i took a preganany test last nite but i was neg, its the test 4 days beofre your period one, i gusss if it dosent come by oct 7th i will re test but its so far away.
So...what happened?  I've been waiting to hear your results because I am in a very similar situation.  I'm waiting to see if I get my period in a week and a half but I've already had some type of withdrawl (withdrawal) bleed 2 days after I stopped taking the pill (6 days into the pill pack).  I'm also super emotional right now which is throwing me for a loop because I can't tell if I should take this as a sign of pregnancy or of my body trying to readjust from taking the pill for almost 2 years.  Hope you get/got the results you were looking for.
hEY, D's mom was my previous log on name. i posted this well over two years ago lol. it turned out i wasnt preggo. I stopped trying to concieve (conceive) and then i tried again and I got preggo June 2007. Am now 18 wks. To be honest, i cant even remember when my next period came...but i've been told with withdrawal periods it's hard to tell when you can expect a next period, they say within 2 weeks or so....Hope you will get your BFP soon as well.
I realize that this is YEARS old but im in the exact same situation as your original question.

i stopped BC day before ovulation (confirmed ovulation with digital OPK)
then about 3 dpo and 4 days after stopping the pill i am having what i believe is break through or withdrawal bleeding. Can I still get preggers? What happened with your situation? I hope that if we concieved my little baby can attach...worried that my bleeding is a bit heavy...my period isnt due until another 10 days or so.
I got my mirena IUD removed on may 10, I had unprotected sex on may 11 and during intercourse i began to bleed heavily. Is it still possible to conceive with this bleeding? Before removal I had my period the 4th-9th with some spotting the 10th. Please help :)