Maternal & Child Community
Can your mind force ur body to think it is pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I have a doubt in my mind about if it's possible for your mind to actually make your body think you are pregnant. I had a blighted ovum at 6 weeks and I recently found out that a close friend (thought was a friend) of mine had made a comment to several people telling them that I was really obsessed with having another baby that I forced my body to be pregnant. I did get upset because I don't think that might be true.
I was spotting so, I went to my gyno and she did an ultrasound. She said that the sac was there but no baby in it. My blood level was of a pregnant person and the day I had a natural miscarraige (miscarriage), I did bleed like crazy and I saw the sac actually come out of me. And I did have to keep going to the gyno to check my blood level until it went back to 0. Do you guys really think that I really did force my body to become pregnant? I would really like to know what you all might think about this.

Oh man, your former friend needs to know this before she ever talks again: without fertilization there is no blighted ovum and I am sure we can not virtually fertilize ourselves yet. If I am not mistaken, the blighted ovum occurs if there are chromosomal abnormalities that prevent the embryo from developing from a few cells to anything more. Rather the hormones in play are getting the cells of the sac to develop but the embryo itself is not growing at all. Sorry you have to deal with this in addition to the pregnancy loss. There is always a time for everyone, and I am sure next time you will be okay.
I think your mind can force you into having pregnancy symptoms, but a blighted ovum wouldn't occur without fertilization.  I'm sorry you found out your friend was not really a friend.
Thanks for your explination. I knew it that there was no way that could happen. I really don't need friends like that. It has been really hard to go through that since 4 months before that (Nov.2005) I had a still birth at 36 weeks pregnant and then a miscarraige (miscarriage). The only thing that keeps me going is my only son that is 6 1/2, my husband and my family. I am trying to get pregnant again but staying calm and not get myself fustrated.
Well I heard of one of this gurl
who wanted to be pregnant so badd that her mind actually made a sac and everything. Then at the end she had normal labor pains as usual and when she delivered it was only the sac and no baby inside of it. she was very upset but the Dr. had told her that it was all in her mind. I dont think You did that since you had a blighted ovum also known as a false pregnancy and is when the baby doesnt form all the way or at all. so it isnt that your mind made it up. I would be very upset if my friend or anyone would tell me that.
are you saying this person went through 9 months and delivered an empty sac?? i must have read that wrong that just couldnt be......
There is a big difference between an anembryonic pregnancy (blighted ovum) and a phantom pregnancy. With a blighted ovum, conception occurs, but the embryo either fails to develop or quits developing early on, but the sac remains and/or continues to grow.

A phantom prenancy is a psychosomatic conditon is when the body mimics pregnacy symptoms, but conception never occured.
There is what is known as a psychological pregnancy. During this, no sac forms, though. Your body tricks you. You grow and get the baby belly, the morning sickness....lots of pregnancy symptoms. My grandma went through this (like 50 years ago when the technology was next to nothing). She was just telling me about it the ohter day. She said she had not yet gotten to the 17-18 week point where they would have been able to hear the heartbeat with just a regular stethescope. She was around 15 weeks and was already showing quite a bit. She one day felt a huge "drop"....went to the bathroom and it was just a steady flow of water. By the end of the day her belly was gone and so were her symptoms. Considering you HAD a sac....this is not what happened to you! Tell your not-so-friend to do some research before running her mouth!
If that were possible, which it isn't, why would a doctor allow a "false pregnancy" to keep going until she gave birth if he KNEW it was only a sac??  The only way to have a sac is to have fertilization.  If we could do that with our minds, we wouldn't have so many women posting on the fertility forum about trying to get pregnant, they would be.  I hope you told this "friend" where to go.  
sounds like an urban legend to me.
Wow, so when I had a blighted ovum, and cried my eyes out, and went through the pain of it all, it was all pointless as it was only a false pregnancy?

Wow that is interesting. I thought that I was actually pregnant and for 11 weeks actually had a baby forming, now I don't feel so bad about losing my first child.

What sort of logic is that. A blighted ovum is not a false pregnancy, it is a non viable pregnancy, big difference.

Rosie, hope you told your friend where to go. You cannot form a sac through your mind, fertalisation needs to take place for that to occur (meaning that you were pregnant and a baby was trying to form, but something was missing and the formation could not go on further).

You can make up symptons, which can even delay your periods, but not form anything.

Mimi I hope you never have and never do have to go through the pain of a blighted ovum, though maybe to you it wouldnt make much a difference seeing as it is just a "false pregnancy"
"...wanted to be pregnant so badd that her mind actually made a sac and everything."

What you heard is absolutely untrue.  A phantom pg will not produce a sac.