Maternal & Child Community
Can't hear heartbeat at week 11????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Can't hear heartbeat at week 11????

We went for our 2nd prenatal visit yesterday with the anticipation that we would hear our little baby's hearbeat for the first time.  The doctor had a really rough time finding it with the doppler.  When she did it was very very faint.  She said that the baby was moving around alot in there.  She then did an ultrasound to assure us that everything was ok.  We saw the heartbeating on the ultrasound and saw him moving but I was still a little upset.

Is it normal not to hear it at this stage, at 11 wks?  The doctor did say that there was a good chance we wouldn't hear it, but still I couldn't help but to get nervous.  Plus I was so geared up to hear it and now I have to wait another month to try again!  Has anyone else had this experience before?
I had exactly the same experience. The Dr. could hear it, but not that well, and I couldn't hear it at all. He did an u/s to show that everything was ok. Baby looked great and wiggled a lot. I was 11 weeks that day.
My dr said we will try to hear the heartbeat at your next appt. (12weeks) as long as you promise you won't freak out if we can't get it on the doppler yet. So I don't think you have anything to worry about. Did he tell you what the heartrate was by the sono?
No, that's the thing.  I have yet to have the her tell me what the heartrate is.  The only thing she's said both times is it looks strong.
I went at 13 weeks and couldn't hear the hb either.  Got really nervous.  Dr. did a u/s and we saw a very healthy and active baby jumping and kicking all over the place.  I wouldn't be worried about it.  I'm going back a 17wks to try again.  He said i probably should be able to hear it by then.  My Dr. hasn't given me a heartrate either.  But i'm sure that if there was anything to worry about he would have told me.  He doesn't hide things or sugar coat them.  So when he tells me everythign's ok...I believe him.  Good luck.  And sticky baby dust to you!
Sometimes it takes a little longer to hear it by the doppler. Usually its from 12 - 14 wks to hear it really good on the doppler. Don't worry about it, If you saw your baby's heartbeat on the ultrasound then everything is ok. (I worked with an ob/gyn for a while)
I am 7 weeks and had my first ultrasound. I had a heartbeat. The doctor let me hear the babies heartbeat it was amazing. But the same thing happen to my cousin at 11th week the heartbeat was very faint but he assure her that there was alot of movements. She now has an adorable girl.
The doppler microphone has a really specific focus, so if the baby is moving around, it will only pick up its heart for a nano before it is away again.  But if you saw the heart beating, you have nothing to worry about.  Good luck at your next appointment; maybe the little acrobat will be asleep. :)
I am 15 weeks today bit last week I had a cerclauge done. before te surgery they had to find the HB but it was very faint. There are many factors such position of the baby, position of the uterus and things like your own HB that might cloud the sound. They were having trouble hearing the baby over me. Don't worry it is very early and if you saw it beating on an U/S than you know it is beating.
my dr refused to even try at that point. I had asked and he said it was too early (I think I was 12 weeks). I only got to hear by baby's heartbeat for the first time this past monday (I am 17w1d now). I have had 2 ultrasounds so far but the machines that they use don't have audio on them so we didn't get to hear the heartbeat although we saw it on the screen.
My Dr. wouldn't even try till 16 weeks with my son, she sid it's so hard even at 12 weeks, and it's more stressful on the mom.  They just do an ultrasound to confirm the heartbeat.  I wouldn't stress.  I went in for a UTI when I was pregnant with my son and they tried at 10 weeks just for fun and couldn't find one then.  You'll hear it soon.
Have a question for everyone - I should be about 14-15 weeks.  Went to the doctor last week and they couldn't hear the heartbeat on the doppler.  The Dr. did an external U/S, but couldn't see anything and was very concerned.  He ordered a transvaginal U/S, which I hope to have today or tomorrow.  We had cramping & bleeding early on during the pregnancy, but have had 3 U/S and they all showed the baby and we have had no bleeding since the last U/S.  Last U/S at 8 weeks was normal, had a heartbeat and baby was the correct size.  I saw the Dr. 5 weeks ago and it was "yep, definitely pregnant".  Is there any chance he could not see the baby from an external U/S and that we'll see it when they do an internal one?  Anybody have any experience with this?  We've been through an emotional rollercoaster thinking we miscarried early on with the heavy bleeding, but were surprised when we found out it was just blood clots and the baby was fine.  I'm afraid of going through that emotional process again if we find out somethings wrong.  I've had no bleeding or cramping since the last U/S, so all the pieces don't add up... any advice?  Thanks...
I went to the Dr. a couple of days ago (12 wks)  and after a couple of tries, we got the baby;s heartbeat. The Dr. really had to search for it, but I did eventually hear it. I was upset because my husband wasnt able to be there to hear. I ended up buying a fetal heart doppler, and I tried forever, but I couldnt get a heartbeat. Is my baby still ok? Does anyone here really know how to use an at home doppler? I could use all the tips you got, because I really want my husband to hear the heartbeat, and we dont go back to the dr. until the 28th of August.