Maternal & Child Community
Cant keep food down

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Cant keep food down

I can't keep anything down!  I am 9 weeks pregnant and miserable.  I also have a UTI and am on anti biotics.  These don't help my tummy at all!  I am supposed to take 2 a day but I usually can't take the second one as I'm always too sick for it.  Does anyone have any tips on coping with this?  Crackers do NOT work.
Have you heard of "Sea Bands" they helped take the edge off of my morning sickness. Try warm tea, never let your tummy get empty, and don't drink while you eat. I hope this helps and hope this passes for you soon.
Oh I can write the book on morning sickness. I'm JUST starting to feel better and I'm 19 weeks Monday. To date I have been hospitalized 3 times for dehydration, and have lost 30lbs. I also have a 2 year old to take care of. The past 4 months have been a living hell and thank God for an incredible husband and family for whom which I would have never made it. The condition I suffer from is called Hyperemesis. It's EXTREME morning sickness and 5% of pregnant women experience this.
     I can't say there was anything that was magic for me. But different things worked at different times. I tried sea bands and B6 and sour candys at the beginning...they helped for a short while. Then I tried eating small amounts of food every 1-2 hours and drinking in between. Then I tried this homeopathic med called Symphoracarpus which worked for a couple weeks. What is working for me now is Mylanta and chewing gum. My diet is very bland....rice crispies, cream of wheat, and dry pan cakes. Nothing fried, fatty, oily, or greasy. The routine I do now is eat, drink, swig Mylanta, then chew gum. I repeat this process throughout the day over and over again. For calories I eat canned fruit cocktail and sip Gatorade/water on ice. I've been doing a lot better knock on wood....but again, I am 19 weeks and over due for a little peace.
     I wish you all the best and I know how hard this is. I know if it gets really bad you feel very alone and hopeless and even depressed. But keep your head up and know this is only temporary and a sign that your baby is doing well. Just mommy suffers, not baby. When you see that bundle you'll know it was all worth it.
I feel for you. I threw up just about a hour ago and feel like I might again.
hi I am 10 weeks and 3 days. I got morning sickness aroud 6 weeks but I was nauseated all day. the only thing that helped me was Dramamine for motion sickness. my doc said it was safe to take. that was the only thing that kept me from throwing up all day. ask your doc if you could try it. it really was helpful to me. my morning sickness is getting better so I dont have to take it everyday now. anyway hope you feel better soon and good luck with everything. also try eating alot of carbs that helped me too. potatos were my best friend for a while:)
Hi.  I am 9w6d and have had bad morning (all day) sickness.  You can try 1/2 unisom (with doxy..not the gel kind) and 25mg. B6.  This did not relieve my nausea but it did keep me from throwing up.  I NEVER threw up while taking this.  My friends here all take it too and my dr said it is very safe.  It is actually a prescription in Canada called Diclectin.   It is Canada's first line of treatment for morning sickness.  The next think I tried (to help with the nausea) was a prescription from my dr. called Zofran.  It is very common and very safe for pregnant women.  My dr. said it is a miracle pill for some women and it doesn't work for others.  I had one wonderful day and then the next day back to being sick.  I also got constipated while taking it which is a side effect some get.  Right now I am only taking 1/2 unisom every 12 hours.  (before bed and 12 hours later)  I decided to just take the unisom because it helps me sleep at night and it is really working (so far) for me better than anything else.  I am not taking the B6 because I did read somewhere that too much can make you nauseas??!!  So, I didn't expect the unisom by itself to work, but I don't throw up on it and have felt good so far today.  We will see tomorrow!!  I hope you find some relief.
Thanks everyone for your advice.  I was surprised to read that someone else eats dry pancakes.  They are lifesavers for me on days I need to work.  For me it's more dinner that is killing me and making me sick in the evenings.  The ONLY thing I seem to keep down is dry pancakes and I know that's not adequate nutrition.  I hate to ask to go on medication for some reason.  I feel like I should suffer through it like most women but at the same time, i worry about my nutrional intake.  I will look to everyone's advice, thanks so much.  And about the anti biotics, you are right, I SHOULD be taking them on time!  I am usually puking all night long and I can't get it in!  I don't know what to do about that... I'm rather behind because there have been a few days I've only been able to take one :(
Zofram helped me a lot... i still have some nausea when i take it, but at least i haven't actually thrown up while on it. i also find a very strong correlation between my level of tiredness and the amount of nausea i have. if i nap when i am tired, i am less likely to throw up when i wake up. i know that's probably not an option for you caring for another child. also, i find i get much more nauseaus if i let me stomach get empty.

make sure you take every dose of antibiotic on time!!! i know it probably makes you feel aweful, but you are going to end up with a raging infection, and it can spread to your bladder or kidneys. i have even read on this forum that some women had it spread to other organs and ended up hospitalized!!! these few days of extra misery on the antibiotics are worth preventing major complications. also, make sure that you continue to take your prenatals (if you can keep it down). i take them at night right before bed, because i generally do not wake up in the middle of the night to throw up. i am 11.5 weeks, and i am still losing weight from not being able to eat and throwing up.