Maternal & Child Community
Car Seat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Car Seat

I was just wondering when people turned their car seat around. My daughter's doctor said that I could turn her around but I am nervious about safety. My daughter is 13 months old and 23 pounds. I am not sure on her height but she is in the 95th percentile for her age.

they say you can turn it around when they are one and are at least 20lbs my daughter is 12 months old and about 21lbs and i haven't turned her car sear around yet
Yes, you can turn it around.  I did that around that age for my son.  He was a very big boy and his carseat said it's safe to turn it around after 22 lbs and 30 inches long I think.  Check the label on the carseat, it should tell you when you can turn it.  But I turned it when I felt comfortable doing it.  By that time my sons legs were scrunched up and I knew it was time.
They say you can turn your child around at age 1 but they need to be at least 20 pounds. She is ready. I was nervous about it as well, my son is 13 months and we turned him around exactly at a year but he was 28 pounds. He is a big boy! I bought him a seat that could be rear facing and then front facing since he outgrew the infant seat, but wasn't quite a year yet.
Thank you for your advise!! Isn't it safer to leave them rear facing for as long as you can though?
It is and you should.  That's what I said but eventually his legs were too long for that.