Maternal & Child Community
Car Seat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Car Seat

It is time to up grade outta the infant seat and I'm having trouble deciding on a convertible car seat.  Is the Britax worth the extra $$.  I've been reading the reviews on Babies r us for all types of brands and they do seem to get the best and most consistent ratings.  I just hatte to think I'm getting just because it cost more, so I think it should be better.  

What do you have? Do you like it?  Any regrets?  Any car seat advice?  
i went with the Evenflo Triumph Advance. this link should show the different models:

http://www.target.com/gp/search/191-1504353-4621823?field-keywords=evenflo_triumph_advance&CPNG=Baby&LNM=evenflo_triumph_advance&CPNG=Baby&AFID=google&LID=26992592&ref=tgt_adv_XSGO0716

i got the dlx, and DH got the LX. both are great. the more expensive one has slightly more padding, but DD doesn't really need it. I took it out after she was 12 months anyways.

The carseat is VERY easy to adjust no matter what the baby is wearing. She sits very comfortably. i did have to get cheap strap covers to prevent the shoulder straps from rubbing her neck during the summer. Over the summer, DD got carsick a couple of times and we discovered how easy it is to remove and wash the cover. oh yea- i just remembered one more difference between the dlx and the others- the more expensive model has an easier Latch release. I would get this feature if you plan on removing the seat frequently. it makes taking the seat out and putting it back in very simple.
I have had my fair share of car seats; graco, brittax, cosoto, eddie bauer; all good, but have recently purchase the Sunshine Kids Radian car seat. It is the best car seat I have ever used and it goes from birth (rear facing) up to 65lbs and 51" in the 5 point harness, it also folds and has a shoulder strap for travelling. James had outgrown his current seat height wise but had not yet reached 40lbs. I also believe the longer you can keep a child in a 5pt harness the better. If you ever watch John and Kate plus eight she has them for her children, you can actually fit 3 across the back seat of a car. It was big bucks at $250 canadian but so worth it. I plan to buy one for my younger child soon too.
Do any of the ones recommended so far, or does anyone know of, a car seat that will keep a sleeping child from slumping over into those terrifically uncomfortable-looking positions with their nose on the armrest?
Ha Brooke I know what you mean, Sam always snores his head off as he slumps over! I used to worry about his oxygen levels dropping! The only way to avoid this is to keep them rear facing as long as possible, some car seats go up to 30lbs rear facing, unfortunately both my kids are too big for that now!
Back in the UK my britax had an optional recline so if James fell asleep we could recline it and he slept soundly, no head tipping. Then it slid easily back to the upright position once he woke with out having to remove either the child or the car seat. Unfortunately the madatory requirement of the rear tether stap means that it is not possible to do that with models manufactured for the North American market.

But back to the original poster buy a seat that you can keep your child rear facing in until 30lbs, and keep them rear facing until they reach 30lbs if you can (taking into consideration max rear facing height limit for the seat of course) it really is the safest and most comfortable place for your child to be.
When I was carseat shopping for the infant seat and the next size, I looked at consumer reports.org to see the crash test ratings. They test different aspects of the seat: safety in crashes, comfortable, etc. Some seats aren't so great on the safety!  The second seat we bought after the infant one was the Evenflo Triumph 5, we love it, our son loves it, he's 3, it was $110 at K-Mart. As far as the Britax, I think I remember that one being the absolute best on consumerreports.org. The Evenflo was the next one down, but it wasn't for the safety of the seat it was some little extra thing that they test that I thought "well we can skip that for $150!"  Hope this helps!
Well, I went to their website to make sure that it was right and they want you to sign up for a membership and you have to pay now. Sorry.
I have the Evenflo triumph also.I got it at babies-r-us & was told it had many features(like the head protection)its very soft,confortable,was also a top pick on parents magazine & there store,I love it!
I have the britax and i think it's overpriced and very bulky.  I don't like the way DD was in it when was used to fall asleep in the car seat.  For DS, I got Evenflo Advanced and we like it.  Britax takes a lot more to adjust the straps, etc but Evenflo's less complicated and cheaper.  It's up to you, of course..
I have 2 Brittax carseats, one for dd and one for ds. I have the newest Brittax for DS and I like it pretty well.  I have had ds in it for months since he despised the infant carrier. He is 5 1/2 months now and always falls asleep in it! (thank goodness)
Hm, Evenflo seems to be the crowd favorite.  I've been reading up on'em all day and I'm feeling more undecided than ever. A lot of the reviews on the Britax with side impact protection are less favorable.  They say the kids can't see around the sides of the car seat so they have no side view at all.  That would be okay, while they are babies but I would think eventually they would want to be able to look out the window.  Kelly did you get the boulevard with the side impact protection? Is the obstruction of view true?  

Thanks for all the advice everyone.  I think I'm going to give the evenflo a closer look.  

Has anybody tried the Recaro or Combi?  
I got the Evenflo - Titan Elite 5-Point Convertible Car Seat  Poor Noah outgrew his infant seat 2 months ago! haha  It is rear facing and then is a regular carseat when he turns one.  It hold up to 50lbs. Its super comfty and Noah loves it.  We paid about $98 for it at Walmart.  Good Luck!
Ok - I have a friend who works as the Point of Impact coordinator for our local emergency service - she would tell you that every single carseat, whether it costs 100 or 500 is tested to the exact same safety specifications - you can pay 500, but all you are paying for is bells and whistles - youw ill get the same safety with either carseat!  My suggestion would be look at some of the less expensive seats and save some money to spend on other fun things!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, I do have the Boulevard and at first I was trying to remove those (wings) for side impact. My dh said "those don't come off" and I thought I would hate it. It does obstruct view but I think once he's bigger it will be fine, gee, I'll have to go re-investigate.  DD has the Decathalon which does not have the wings and I really like that one too. She puked in it and I had to take it apart and was it and it was pretty easy (I'm no genius and I was 8 months pregnant). But, yes the evenflo is comparable I've heard.  
I also have the Evenflo Triumph (actually we bought 3 of them, 1 for my car, 1 for DH and 1 for my mom). I love it!! I would definitely recommend it and it got great ratings!
Britax is what I have - the only item I went "high" with on my registry because it will last - with Britax high back you do not need to move the baby into a booster.  I love this seat - it is roomy for my daughter.  They were recently voted the top car seat as well but I do not think they are "safter" then any other car seat just may last longer.

All car seats are tested and required to pass at a certain speed.  Some car seats pass at higher speeds of impact but all pass at the min requirement which is something like 40mph.  When I registered for my infant seat I had to change it when I found out that Graco Snug Ride was the ONLY ONE that passed at 60mph.  I would never use any other infant seat.  I now use Britax and will also purchase one for my new baby due in June.
I have the Britax marathon and it seems to work just fine.  Jayden is a big boy and he it fits his body just right.
Also, I think I bought the Brittax' because they could maybe carry more weight so that the kids could stay in them longer?
I have the Britax Marathon. My son is 4 and we will probably keep using it for another 1-2 years. Considering I will use it for at least 5 years, I think it was worth every penny. It is easy to install and from what I have read very safe. I like that he can be in a 5 point restraint longer, instead of moving him to a booster which isn't as safe. Good luck! I too read lots of reviews and struggled to decide...