Car seat
I am looking for an extra carseat for DH's car, any recommendations from Target?
Do I really need a bassinet in my bedroom or will a pack and play work?  I think the bassinet looks better.  He will be sleeping in our room for a couple of months before I move him to his crib.
Thanks!
Dolly
I think the pack n play will work fine.  I used it for my dd during the day when she was a new born and she slept fine in it.
What about just getting an extra car seat base so you only need one carseat.  That's what DH and I are doing with ours... we got the Graco Snug ride or something like that and just got the extra base.

Just a thought.

Also, if you have room for a Pack N Play in your bedroom I would use that rather than going out and getting a bassinet, just b/c they're not in them very long I've heard and you will use the Pack N Play for other times as well.  

Good luck!
~Amanda
As far as your car seat goes, all of the car seats unless they are from somewhere other than the US, have to be crash tested.  all of them are equally as good, but its the added padding and a little extra comfort that makes them more and less expensive.  You should try the web site www.NHTSA.com.  it tells you all there is to know about car seats. Also, there are certified car seat installers to help you install the seat.  The directions that come with the car seat do not tell you everything and some vehicles do better with different car seats.  I can walk you through the installation when the time comes. I am a certified child safety seat technician, also make sure you do not purchase any afetr market products, like seat fasteners pillows ect.  Everything the comes with the car seat is crash tested so anything added to it comprimises the structure.  Check out nhtsa's recall list also.
You can buy an extra base.

A pack n play is ok, you don't need a bassinett.

If you're not using an infant carrier for which you can buy a second base, then I recommend a Britax Roundabout.  These can be used rear facing from 5lbs.  We used an infant carrier, but then switched to the Roundabout after DS got older, and I absolutely love ours; we got one for each car.

You can definitley use the pack-n-play.  They come with the bassinet attachment and work great.
I've read that pack'n'plays should not be used as a substitute for bassinets.  They should only be used for naps during the day or temporary sleeping places when traveling (it even says so in the instructions that come with them).  I think it has something to do with them not being firm enough, or something.  If I were you, I would do more research, just to be sure.
I agree, pack n plays are for napping only.  Supervised sleeping, not times when you will be sleeping also.
We got an extra base for our son when he wa sa baby. We had a Graco set.
Infant - Graco Snug ride with 2 bases for infancy.

Britax Roundabout otherwise.

Pack N Play....okay we had all hand-me-down stuff so we used a bassinet but then again we didn't buy it.  I wouldn't go out and buy one just for 2-3 mos.
I just got the Graco family tree car seat and we were going to buy an extra base for hubby's truck.  But my mom just purschased a 5lb to 80lb car seat.  Its rear facing then front facing for when they get bigger and its like $60 and then I dont have to spend extra money on a  base and a car seat every so often.  So Im thinking about buying one of those for hubbys truck.
I have to recommend a bassinet, because that's what I used with my ds and will use with this baby too.  my son slept in it until he was four months old, and it was well worth having, even though there was also a pack and play in my living room, they certainly aren't very portable on a daily basis, and you might want to have that with you wherever you spend most of your day, instead of in the bedroom.
i am all for the bassinett i have one ive used it for both my babies now my first was in it untill she was just over 4 months and she wasent small by all means she was 8lb9oz born and i am using it currently with dd no 2 she is nearly 4 months old and fits in it just fine she was also big 8lb 14.5oz i think she will definatly fit for the next month or so.
you cant put a price on your childs life they are so convenient mine has wheels like the hospital one so i just take it with me to the lounge room kitchen bathroom ect.also in the middle of the night you only need to put your hand out the side of the bed to pull the bass over to give dummy back ect when baby wakes.let me tell you my babies have been sleeping atleast 10 hours a night from 6 weeks old in there bass they love them bacause there so snug and secure and i am also breastfeeding some women on here seem to think bf babies wake up more often then formula babies i dunno about that.
also you will probly have other children aswell you can store the bass and use it again and again i dont think there will be any problem with getting atleast 4 months out of it.i also have a thing called angle care its a monitor thing it has a pad you put under your bassinett mattress and it will go off if baby has stopped breathing after 20 seconds or so you ladies might think it wont happen but it does they are great to use there are to many pros to this thing you should all do some research on this particular unit let me no what you think anyway sorry about how long this is but yeah go the bassinett good luck to you.