Maternal & Child Community
Cats

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Cats

I've been told on numerous occasions that cats and babies don't mix, that it's dangerous to have them around etc.  I absolutely adore my cat autumn and she's part of our family, but every tells me not to trust her and get rid of her and so on.  Are Cat's dangerous to a baby?  Or is that just an old wives tale? Any suggestions?
It's an old wives tale.

The only thing you should do differently right now is to preferably have someone else change the litter pan, or at the very least wash your hands very thoroughly if you change it.

As with both dogs and cats, try to briing home a baby blanket from the hospital prior to the baby coming home, so the pet can become acquainted with the new baby's scent.  This is done to decrease stress on the pet when a new pack member is brought home.

A cat will not intentionally harm a newborn.  You should try to be sure that the cat can't jump into the crib, lest a sharp claw accidentally scratch the baby if she jumps in the crib when the baby is there.  Cats are naturally curious, and she will want to "greet" the baby, who is a wonderful source of new smells, sounds, and actions!

Peek is right. I do occasionally change the cat box if hubby is slacking on it but my doctor told me not to worry about it as long as I am washing my hands good.

Once you get that crib up you need to let the cat know that the crib is not for him so he doesn't get used to laying in it, same with the swing, bouncer and car seat. Once the baby is born I really suggest locking the cat out of whatever room baby is sleeping in to avoid suffocation. This was tough for me since Noah slept in a bassinet in our room for a few months and our kitty was used to sleeping with us but we still locked him out for Noah's safety. Once the baby is in it's room just make sure the kitty isn't in there and shut the door. Make sure to give you cat lots of lovin' so that he doesn't get jealous!
Thank you both for your input, My boyfriend changes the litter pan for me, but i was worried everyone was right and i was gonna have to get rid of her.  
Nope, although your cat may WANT to leave in couple years when the baby starts torturing the him.
I have two cats who are allowed in the house.  Of those two, one took a look at the new baby and decided she could live with having him around, and she has never come near him in two years any closer than his arm's reach, though she doesn't seem to mind him.  The other took a look at the new baby and his legs did bicycle movements of terror and he ran to be let outside, and has never wanted to be near our son.  So I would not worry that the cat will be overly close to the baby of his own accord, he will probably be more likely to avoid the baby.  (Except to play with the baby's toys, of course.  My son reciprocated by playing with the cat's toys.)  These things work out.  (Click on my username and you will see a photo of my son and the cat, eating at his play table.)
We had 2 old cats (13 yr old male and 15 yr old female) when my 2 daughters were born.  The female was quite curious to start, but after checking them both out she would sit near the babies, but never actually close enough to touch.  The male didn't go even into the room until they were toddler size and now sleeps on the bed with them at the foot.  (Our female passed away last year to be replaced by a new kitty).  Neither cat ever tried to harm or sleep on the babies (much less nearer than 2 feet).  We never had a minute of trouble with the cats going where they shouldn't (except for the cradle, but our female learned quickly that was NOT a good place to be because it rocked).  Now that the kids are older and able to chase the cats, the cats are more interactive with them.  We thought having the cats around was a good way to introduce being "gentle" with things.  That was the bonus of it.

Now I did had a friend whose older cat got hostile towards her daughter AFTER the daughter became a toddler (around 3, I think)...would pee in her bed and hiss at the child then run away (perhaps the little one did something to offend the cat, no one knew).  They had to get rid of the cat because they were worried the behaviour would escalate.  I think that's more unusual than normal.  That's the only instance that I've ever heard of where a cat was removed from a house with a child because of bad behaviour.
Wives tale!! We have 3 cats (all indoor only) and they've not been a problem at all w/DS so far (he's 5 months)..... they pretty much ignore him! When DS is a toddler we'll have to teach him not to pull tails, etc.... but the cats arent going to be a danger at all. They're part of the family too! We can all co-exist.:)
I have a male cat, he's 3 years old.  I rescued him from my uncles farm when he was a tiny kitten and he has pretty much been attatched to my hip since.  He used to sleep on my hair.. lol when he was smaller, now he's huge.. probably weighs about 20-25 pounds! he looks like a small lion lol! but anyway, the only thing I really have to add is, I was really really close with Chauncey (my cat) before I got pregnant and during my pregnancy, when I came home from work we used to sit in the chair together and watch tv for a couple hours, I would rub him and talk to him and hold him.  After I had Jadyn there wasn't so much time for Chauncey anymore because of course I had the baby to look after, Chauncey started digging in our plants and making messes around the house.  He was jealous, Then he started peeing on jadyns laundry and his toys.  I dont know if it was because I was so close to him during pregnancy and then didn't have as much time for him anymore, or if the baby was just a big adjustment for him.. He did stop doing it, but then our dog started up.. Lol I dont know maybe its just that time of the year for our animals or something, but just make sure you continue to give the cat attention after the baby comes or it may become jealous.
I have raised all of my children as newborns and up with cats. My Grandmother, when I was expecting my first daughter told me I must get rid of my cats. I didn't listen...and they have been nothing but loving and accepting of all 5 of my children! If anything, the kids are a danger to the cats, once they are up and mobile! My 10 month old son loves to pull the cats tail! Of course, we are teaching him "Nice Kitty" but he still does it!! Poor cat runs as fast as she can when he comes bumbling towards her (: There are very, very few cats that can't be trusted, but that is a rarity. You have to watch their behavior but I would say 99% will be fine and loving towards the new baby.
I have two cats.  Before I had AJ but after I got my cats, I had a daycare.  The cats just stayed away from the kids.  They were very outgoing but as soon as the kids were around they kept out of the way.  Once AJ was born, one of my cats had no interest and would just stay away.  The other was very interested.  We have several pictures from the day we brought AJ home and Karlin was laying right next to him all day on the bed.  Almost like AJ was his child. We kept a close eye to make sure Karlin didnt do anything to hurt AJ and we never got to the point where we ever had to scold or even move the cat.  I had the same fear about having to get rid of the cats and some family members also pushed the issue pretty hard.  I am glad I did not listen, because we have NEVER had a problem.  I would at least wait until the baby comes and the cat gets adjusted before you make a decision like that.  As others have said, take the proper precautions to make sure the baby does not get put in harms way...like dont leave baby with cats unattended, but no need to go over board.  enjoy your family, cats included!
I have 8 cats (all drop-offs except 1). Of those 8, 5 are in the house. I don't have a litter box because they go out through the cat door and luckily all are fixed so we don't have the spraying a lot of males do to mark their territory.  I didn't have one concern with any of my cats around the baby. Actually 3 sleep with us at night (Brayden sleeps with me) and I have never once had a problem with them around him. He will pull on their fur, smack them, lay on them.. and not one incident ever. One actually is the protector of him, the second he gets fussy she is up to where he is to make sure he is okay. -But then again, she is also the one who will sit at the door and growl at any suspicious noise or anything outside.
i just wanted to add my name to the list of people who have cats and have had no problems. We have 2 feral cats that we adopted and keep indoors only. They pretty much avoided her in the beginning. One still avoids her (DD is 19 months) and the other tolerates her petting her and chasing her.

I do have to say that i was never good about teaching the cats to stay out of her room. Since DD wasn't in her room until 8 months, i didn't really care. Now they occasionally sleep on the twin in her room (she's in the crib) or on the changing table. One of them has definitely claimed the changing table as her own, probably because it's in front of a window. Some days she won't get off when I bring DD in to get changed. I just lay DD down, and my daughter actually lays with her head on the cat! The cat seems ok with this and puts up with it just so she doesn't have to move.
old wives tale.

the dh and i actually got our precious venus while i was pregnant. she was a little runt that was dying. i nursed her back to health and we just fell in love with her. she's now 10 months old and the boys are 6 1/2 months old. she LOVES those boys to death!!! she naps with them..helps me bath them (she sits in the bath tub next to their baby tub watching), helps me feed them (sits next to the high chairs supervising me while i feed them) and plays with them (she bats her balls to them and chases them when they smack em back to her). even when they pull her fur, yank her tail or ears or kick her in the face she's good with them. she might bat their legs and feet if they get to rough but never bites or scratches. she actually gives them kisses all the time. which consists of a lick to the top of their heads.  she's pretty much like their furry nanny lol.
I just reread my post and for some reason I said "my 10 month old son". He is 19 months, not sure why I put that. Must have been a typo! :)
Thank you all so much, I can breathe a sigh of relief that's for sure.  i was so worried.  
I have 8 cats, 3 dogs and 3,000 sq fott homeand they run free in or house. I just had a baby and they act curious, we intoducethem 2 by 2 and they do fine, of course everytime we turn aorund there is 1 cat in the crib or the bassinet or the pack and play...lol
so , we just bring them down and say no..no... and thats all

remember you can NOT leave alone a baby with any kind of pet or even a child  those 2 are very dangerous..so as you see its not only pets,..kids can be more dangerous around your baby or any baby that your pets.

My cats are indoor and i have the roll over cat litter so it was easy to clean while pregnant.
I have a super healthy newborn, 10pounds, 23L excellent health...we dont need to get rid of or pets or place them aside, let the baby be around them WHILE you are around as well

Cats and dogs are part of God's Creation