Maternal & Child Community
Cell phones (may be stupid ?)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Cell phones (may be stupid ?)

This is probably one of the stupidest questions out there, but this is my first pregnancy and I'm a worrywart anyway by nature.  I am 35w4d along.  Things are going great.  My "wonderful" boss likes to tell me horror stories about labor and what can go wrong.  I have pretty much tuned this part out.  However, yesterday, I had my cell phone on my hip and he decided to tell me that the cell phone can cause damage to the baby since it is so close to my hip.  Early in the pregnancy my cell phone was in my pocket.  Now, of course, I'm freaking out.

I tried to find stuff on line but there's nothing there.  Has anyone heard of anything like this?  Or is he just being funny again?
I've read that there is no real risk, so I wouldn't worry.  On the other hand, I do keep my cell phone away from me unless I'm using it, leave the room when the microwave is on and limit my computer usage (as much as possible!) etc., etc., etc.  Pretty sure it is all worry for nothing, but it's a mother's job.

Your boss should really knock off the stories -- how exactly is this going to help you?  You're about a month from delivering -- if he was really concerned, why didn't he mention it when he first knew you were pregnant?  And as for the labor horror stories -- tell him to zip it.  I'm sure you (and all of us) are aware of potential problems that can arise, but why would you stress someone out like that?

It sounds like you have a pretty good relationship with him that you can banter back and forth, but I think that you should tell him that it's not helping to hear these things.

And, I wouldn't worry about the cell phone -- but you can always keep it somewhere else for now.

Good luck!
He's way off....

I actually talked on my cell during labour, I run my own business and an emergancy situation came up.....
Next time he tries to tell you a horror story, ask him how he knows...ask him how many times he's given birth?  Women are bad enough telling other women those stories when they're pregnant, but a MAN telling them??  OMG..
i even use my laptop on my 'lap' at times....
honestly....he's overreacting....