Maternal & Child Community
Cervical Cerclage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Cervical Cerclage

I am 16 1/2 weeks pregnant and had the cerclage done at 12 weeks. I have been feeling great and no bed rest so far! I am scared to get excited after 2 previous miscarriages.(the last one was at 16 1/2 weeks!) I'm wondering if anyone out there has or is experiencing the same thing. I am just trying to stay positive. I hoping to hear some positive stories.For those who might not know, a cervical cerclage is when they stitch your cervix shut to help prevent preterm labor and miscarriage. The bad thing is most people tend to focus on the negative and I've read lots of stories of the stitch failing.
I had emergency cerclage at 22 weeks. I was on complete bedrest up until I had it done.  Afterwards, I was fine, great as a matter of fact.  
I had so many things wrong with me in the pregnancy though so that was the least of my concerns but I had a great dr.  I've only heard positive stories about it.  I know I have to have it done earlier for the next child though and I'm confident it will work again.
Good luck and take it easy.
BTW I went to 38 weeks but I was induced, otherwise she would have stayed in longer.  She was a beautiful 6 pound 7 ounce girl and she's fabulous!!
Honestly, if I knew how good it was going to turn out I would have opted for it sooner.
You'll be fine!
Thanks. Its nice to hear some positive. I have no doubt I will be fine, but its been hard convincing myself of that!
I had the cerclage done in mid Nov.  I have been doing great since.  I was 15 weeks when I got it done, and have made it to 23.  It is hard not to worry though, because I lost my last baby at 20 weeks.  I did, however reach that point (20 wks), and have passed it!!! I feel great!  I was so nervous, up until that point though.  You will be fine!  I know how you feel.  I pray every day, that I will be able to hold out at least until 30 weeks.  I really would like more, but I will be happy with that, considering, that my first was born at 23wks. (he is fine), and my 2nd was born at 20 (he didnt make it).  So, 30 weeks, for me,  will be a miracle! However, Id love to make it to 36.
A good friend of mine lost her baby at 25w6 (they did not try to do anything for the baby because she wasn't 26w, of course now they would do everything). So she got the cerclage in her next pregnancy and was on bedrest from then on. She did get contractions and stayed in the hospital for 3 months before they sent her back home at 36w when they removed the cerclage to "get some strength" and delivered naturally 3 weeks later. Go figure, first 3 months on  medication to stop contractions and then have to wait 3 weeks. Her son is now 3.5 so she found the courage to try again. Hopefully she'll do fine this time as well!
a friend of mine just delivered her dd. she had also had 2 prev m/c due to incompetent cervix. she had the cerclage at 12wks but was put on bed rest until 34wks and stitches were removed at 36wks. she delivered at 36w6d.
hope this story gives you some reassurance. good luck to you.
I have been advised by my midwife as Cervical Cerclage as an option for me...

I had a miscarriage last year at 18 weeks and have decided to go ahead with Cervical Cerclage.

I was just wondering how painful it is and can you pass urine without pain...

Do I have to leave work if i choose to go ahead?

Please do write back.

Thank You
Kaye
I recently had my cerclage placed 2weeks ago @15wks, so far everything is going well. I lost my last baby at 20wks ( a baby girl), and b4 that gave birth to twins at 26wks (they are healty 9 yaer olds now). My dr took me off work at 13wks and placed me on modified bedrest, since my proceedure I have been on complete bedrest. I am now 17wks 1d. I will not go back to work until after I have my baby. I am allowed to get out of bed to eat, take a quick shower and go to the bathroom. NO SEX!!! You can not feel it, and it is not uncomfortable. I have heard nothing but positive stories and am hoping that I too am one of the success stories. Good luck and I pray things work out for you.

Inga
Thanks Inga,

I feel much better after reading that...

I hope everything works out for you.

Kaye
xxx
I am 24 years old and I had a M/C 2 years ago at 18 weeks ... I am now pregnant at 22 weeks and 1 day ... I had the C C done at 20 weeks and 3 days ... I stayed in the hospital over night and was home the next day... the C C went great ... I just wanted to know at what point in my pregnance I will have baby ... I am due 7/11/2010 ...    
this is  my third pregnancy. i delivered the 1st time @ 20 weeks my baby lived 1hr 50 mins. then diagnosed with a possible incompetent cervix and preterm labor. 2nd time delivered @ 23 weeks had a cerclage put n @ 16 weeks. the sack did an hour glass affect, tore from the uteran wall & i started bleeding, my baby took his 1st & last breath at birth. iam currently pregnant after 7 years bn told i could not conceive. i had a cerclage put in place at 17 weeks and then put on bedrest. i was given progestrone injections 1cc once a week. admitted into the hospital at 21 weeks then i started having contractions 2 weeks later. im glad my doc made that call. i was given terbutaline 4 times a day & a bowlis if needed. then i was switched to precardia 30 mg twice a day. at 28 weeks i was sent home on a terbutaline pump & precardia. i had one scare where i had 24 contractions n 2 hrs and had to b admitted again this time on magnesium. released 4 days later and i am still pregnant 36 weeks & 2 days to b exact. all of this and iam going to have a beautiful healthy baby boy named Chance. next week @ 37 weeks my cerclage will b removed. this is a true blessing from God and boy iam so grateful. im having my baby boy. thanks b to God. when it seems tough just remember it will happen & everything comes n time.
hi all,
       i had my 1st son at 25wks after lots of complications we brought him home 15wks later his now a healthy 2 year old. Then last august i gave birth to our gorgeous daughter at 20wks who sadly only lived for a few moment. I am now 12wks pregnant with our 3rd and my gyne has said i have a incompetent cervix and am having a cervical stitch placed in at 14wks and was wondering if i could still go into labour early? Do i have a chance of bringing a healthy full term baby home?
Hi all,
I hope that somebody will be able to help me with this question that's been bothering me.

I had a cerclage put in at 12 wks, and I am now 24 wks. So far everything has been going well.
I was informed that intercourse and masturbation are not allowed during the course of the pregnancy, so I have been abstaining from both of these. However, I have been having 'wet dreams', which means I get orgasms in my sleep -- completely out of my control. I will wake up to a fairly large contraction, which gives me a dull ache (not on and off like a contraction) in my abdomen after.

I am very concerned about whether this will lead to PTL. Will "wet dreams" cause PTL in a cerclage patient?
I was told during my ultrasound that I had a shortened cervix at 20wks. I was then given a cerclage which put me into pre-term labor. I ended up delivery my son two days later and he was not strong enough to survive. This has been so devistating and I can't help but think the doctor made a mistake.
I had a cerclage put in at 14 weeks and so far at 16 weeks 5 days, I have been doing fine.  I had  previous miscarriages one at 17 weeks and the other 14 1/2 weeks so, I am hoping that prayer and this cerclage will allow for a successful pregnancy.  I do have one question if anyone has experienced this, I was told at my last cervical length check that when my OB placed the cerclage, it was done at the end of my cervix and it could have been placed higher.  The specialist, I see was the one who actually caught this when doing a cervical length check that I have to have done every 2 weeks. The specialist is suggesting a second cerclage be placed higher if there is any change in the cervical length at any of my visits.  Has anyone had a second cerclage done for the same pregnancy and if so, did you go on to have a successful pregnancy?  I am somewhat disappointed that the cerclage was not placed higher but at the same time, everything has been ok.
I had a cervical cerclage placed 2 years ago in my 13week of pregnancy. It was successfull all the way to my 37th week of pegnancy. The cerclage was removed 9 days before the delivery of my son, well the dr. said normally the baby comes right out, but in my situation he didn't. I delivered c- section because the nurse gave me antibiotic and said it was because I was positive for a vaginal bacterial and babies were passing away after delivery for some reason so they discovered it was from the bacteria. So, I got scared and asked if I can get a c-section instead. I got a c-section and my baby was born healthy. 2 days later he was turning yellowish and he had to go under a blue fluresic light for a while. I then got a high fever 2 days in a row 107.00 I got a infection in my c-section inscision and they had to reopen one side and let it heal from inside out. Everything went well but. Now 2 years later I'm 6weeks pegnant I had a vaginal ultrasound and it showed I had a cerclage in and the dr sai we put those in at 12-13 weeks why do you have it in before 12-13 weeks and I have been scared becasue I'm wondering is it toxic over time if left in. I actually have records showing they removed it 2 years ago but ultrasound shows it is a complete cerclage with both knox on top and bottom.
I to have a incompetent Cervix. My first pregnancy i was carrying twins boys and lost them at 21 weeks, 5 months later i was pregnant with my 9 year old son. I did get a cerclage done at 13 weeks and feel great.. I was on moderate bedrest, of course there are some restrictions like NO SEX, no bathing in tubs or even swimming. The stitches were removed at 37 weeks and 6 days. The same day that they were removed i went into labor with my son it was quick and painless. Now after 9 years i am once again pg I am now 15 weeks and will soon get my cerclage. Hopefully this will help. The procedure is fast and painless.. Hopefully this will help all nervous future moms..
My son is 4 yrs old now but I had a cerclage put in because I have a short incompetent tilted cervix. A couple months after I had my son i started to notice vaginal discharge, I went for a pap smear a year later and while i was there I told the doctor what was going on. Come to find out that I had a stitch still inside me! What amazes me is how did the doctor who delivered my son not feel or even notice something like that? He assured me that this is where the discharge was coming from, well years later and its gotten worse. It doesnt matter whether I'm sitting, or laying it just comes out. It now feels like I'm peeing myself a little and the discharge is now heavier, I have to wear a panty liner everyday which is not the most comfortable. Has anyone else experienced this??